Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OK -You've booked a stall at a Carft Fair - what do you do then?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OK -You've booked a stall at a Carft Fair - what do you do then?

To help maximise footfall?

Do you:

Advertise it on your website?

Put flyers out at other earlier events?

Send out news letters to your customers?

Put flyers in with orders to customers withi a certain radius of event?

Mention t in your Blog, Facebook or Twitter

Or do you leave all that to the organisers?

Jane
    www.just-soaps.com
    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

When I used to attend craft fairs I would always ask for posters and flyers to be sent/emailed to me so I could help publicise the event. Most organisers happily obliged (and some of these started to send them out as a matter of course after a while) but there were always one or two who 'never got around to it' which always set huge alarm bells ringing as to what other free advertising they wouldn't bother with once they had got their hands on our table money.
    Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

I agree. Good points raised there Jane. It makes total sense, exhibitors have access to places that organisers don't and if every exhibitor did the same just think how wide the scope is for advertising and at no extra cost but lots of possible benefits.
      Carol
      God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

I so agree Jane but all too often stallholders pay the rent then think it is not up to them, like you all I always have a posted in my car, website, blog, newsletters, village notice boards, invitaitons to friends and anyone who will listen or has a letter box, anything to help as you are helping yourself as well and if your business worth the effort surely. Afterall if you rent a shop/unit front don't expect the landlord to do all the work up to you to get people through the door.

Comment

Very good points, I do all of the above, plus put it on Facebook too which works as I've had a few people come & see me at fairs and they've said that they saw it on my FB page.

As an organiser, I don't EXPECT exhibitors to do the advertising for me as that is my job, but I do send a small number of leaflets to everyone and hope that they'll put them on display at fairs or include them in customer orders, as there will be people who may not see the paid ads I've put in the local press, or the leaflets I've put out.

If 20 stallholders at a fair each brought in 10 people that they'd told about the event, that's 200 extra buyers who might not have attended otherwise!!!

Claire
          Website; www.midshiresmakers.co.uk
          Facebook Pages: www.facebook.com/weedoncraftmarket
          www.facebook.com/craftshoppingexperience

Comment

Originally posted by ladyluckjewellery View Post
            If 20 stallholders at a fair each brought in 10 people that they'd told about the event, that's 200 extra buyers who might not have attended otherwise!!!

Claire
            My point exactly, we all have to work together to get the customers there.

At a recent craft fair I was at, at least 15 customers at my stall were there because f flyers they had picked up from my stall at local farmers markets.

At the same event 500 flyers for an event in October were picked up and the same for an event in June.

These customers who pick up the flyers pay for my rent at the far;-)

Jane
            www.just-soaps.com
            Twitter JUSTSOAPS
            Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Sadly, I feel a lot of stallholders see events as a place they turn up to, pitch their wares and sit down for the day. Perhaps they feel they have paid for their space and have no other commitment other than to be there on the day? Promote the fact that they will be selling their products at the event? Heaven forbid! Yes, I know we are not all like this, so please appreciate this is not a generalisation.

Unfortunately, the current economic climate is not good for crafters and because of this we must take responsibility for promoting our products and any events we are taking part in.

Jill
              One craft project, like one cookie, is never enough!

http://christmaspiecrafts.blogspot.com/
              Twitter: @jillspain
              http://www.etsy.com/shop/ChristmasPieCrafts

Comment

Originally posted by JKS View Post
                Sadly, I feel a lot of stallholders see events as a place they turn up to, pitch their wares and sit down for the day. Perhaps they feel they have paid for their space and have no other commitment other than to be there on the day? Promote the fact that they will be selling their products at the event? Heaven forbid! Yes, I know we are not all like this, so please appreciate this is not a generalisation.

Unfortunately, the current economic climate is not good for crafters and because of this we must take responsibility for promoting our products and any events we are taking part in.

Jill
                I think Jill's made a really good point there. How many events do you attend where you see stallholders just sitting down chatting to other stallholders, or looking bored? It's up to us to make the event fun and welcoming for the customers, otherwise why on earth would the customers stay and look around?

I advertise as widely as possible; local noticebaords, in shops, take leaflets into the day job, make sure it's listed on the local radio and council events pages, that sort of thing. On the day itself I try to make my stall look as welcoming as possible, and I always stand up [unless I'm eating lunch] and alwasys have some work with me to demonstrate. I've had people buy things the minute I finish them, because they've seen them being made. I put leaflets in every bag with an events listing for future events.

I want people to come and look at my things and I want them to come back again to see me at other fairs. Only I can get that to happen.
                Heather
                Pretty Things Handmade Jewellery

Website - www.prettythingsjewellery.co.uk

Destash bead and papercrafting shop - http://www.misi.co.uk/handmade/BlackCatBeads.html

New blog - www.prettythingsandwitterings.blogspot.com

Comment

I'm really quite surprised - I honestly believed stall holders helped promote the events they attend as it just seems bizarre not to. Maybe as a relative old hand in the game it comes as naturally to me as making sure you take enough float to an event. I can understand complete newbies not doing it as I'm sure I probably didn't for my first few events (no facebook or twitter then) but for anyone who's done more than a handful of events it's almost inexcusable not to promote the event YOU are selling at.

Oh dear I sounded a bit preachy there at the end didn't I - sorry.
                  Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Originally posted by nattynetty View Post

Oh dear I sounded a bit preachy there at the end didn't I - sorry.
                    On the contrary, I have had producers at my stall ( when I had been given a large roll up banner to promote a very large event) say "why are you promote that, it is the organisers job!"

I am sorry, but if I am investing £1500+ on a large event, I NEED to make sure I get a decent return on my investment.

Jane
                    www.just-soaps.com
                    Twitter JUSTSOAPS

Comment

Originally posted by greannancrafts View Post
                      On the contrary, I have had producers at my stall ( when I had been given a large roll up banner to promote a very large event) say "why are you promote that, it is the organisers job!"

I am sorry, but if I am investing £1500+ on a large event, I NEED to make sure I get a decent return on my investment.

Jane
                      Even if I'm only investing £15 on a church hall event, I want people to know where they can find me!

How can people come and buy from you if they don't know you're there?
                      Heather
                      Pretty Things Handmade Jewellery

Website - www.prettythingsjewellery.co.uk

Destash bead and papercrafting shop - http://www.misi.co.uk/handmade/BlackCatBeads.html

New blog - www.prettythingsandwitterings.blogspot.com

Comment

I do display leaflets if they're provided. But I also advertise it on Facebook and my website, and I always use our local radio station's "Plug your event" section!
                        Daesul

http://www.clairemanwani.com
                        http://www.folksy.com/shops/clairemanwani
                        http://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/ClaireManwaniPottery

Comment

It's inexcusable if an events organiser skimps on advertising because stallholders are doing it for them - BUT it is in every stallholder's interest to promote as much as they can.

I was totally amazed how many people had come to a recent event because of a few of us promoting it on Twitter.

I always blog about events prior to attending them and it's sometimes become a reference point for people who google the event where there's no website. I know, because I see the terms they've googled - I've also been contacted by prospective stallholders when I've blogged about an event.

Promotion is really important and we should all be taking it seriously (OK, I'm getting preachy now!)
                          digital stamps for cardmakers: http://www.handmadeharbour.co.uk
                          blog: http://handmadeharbour.blogspot.com
                          hand painted personalised plaques, clocks, canvases, etc: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk
                          blog: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk/blog

Comment

I don't think any organiser should 'expect' stallholders to promote an event. It's the organiser's job to promote and advertise the fair, and this is part of the contract they enter into when they accept the exhibitor's table fee.

What this thread was essentially saying at the start was why on earth do exhibitors book for a fair and then not do everything they can to promote themselves and their work? If every exhibitor did this, it would automatically increase the footfall and benefit everyone.

From an organiser's point of view: we know that some of our exhibitors actively promote our events with flyers on their stalls and through their websites, existing customers etc. We also know that others, for whatever reason, don't, but we don't judge them, it's up to them.

We don't automatically send posters and flyers through the post to every exhibitor, we email copies and ask them to let us know if they'd like a quantity sent in the post. That way we avoid the waste of money of flyers and posters ending up in someone's recycling bin, and we know they're being used to full advantage.
                            Kate
                            www.cuckoos-nest-fairs.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                            X