How do you stay motivated????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you stay motivated????

Hi all, I was wondering how everybody keeps their motivation to craft going? I work part-time in my "proper job" but am hoping in the future to give up work and take my sewing hobby to the next level.
    I have recently had a few days off work but find myself finding it increasingly difficult to focus, it can get quite lonely working home alone......
    I know there are loads of people that work from home and I assume they are alone most of the day, I guess my motivation should be that I will hopefully be giving up working for someone else to become my own boss. But that doesn't combat the feeling of isolation I get during the day......any tips or suggestions greatly recieved

My OH works in the business with me so I tend to get that "I want to be alone" feeling more than the lonely one...but forums are great for feeling like you have a bit of company - also very good for support and new ideas of where to take your business
    for bath bomb, soap & Skincare kits
    plus Soap Base, Bath Bomb Ingredients, Butters,
    Oils and packaging for Bath & Body Products

Comment

I agree that the forums and blogging friends can be great company when you are on your own all day. However, as far as staying motivated to craft and create rather than filling your day with other things, having your crafting as your full time job and therefore income will do that! If you are not creating and/or marketing, you won't have the items to sell and pay your bills.

Good luck if you do become a full time crafter - it is great to have the freedom to work at your own pace and make your own rules and if you plan to sell your wares at craft fairs, etc. you still have the benefit of contact with lots of new people.
      Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
      Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
      Follow me on Twitter:
      @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

Like you I still have another job which I am planning to give up shortly. My craft is working with glass and I started running courses last November - this has been a really great way of staying very highly motivated and I get to meet lots of people so I don't get lonely. I run courses from my workshop which is the basement of my house so it hasn't cost me loads of outlay in terms of premises and I keep classes small with a max of 4. Another idea is to get a local sewing group together so that you have a regular time when you meet with other people with the same interests as yourself. I belong to the Contemporary Glass Society and am just in the early stages of setting up a Northern division so that I get to meet other people with similar interests in glass and have a group of people who might be interested in some collaborative activities such as exhibitions, pop-up shops etc. You could do something similar and this would be great for you in terms of networking and marketing as well as alleviating some of that "alone" feeling. And then of course, forums such as this are excellent at not feeling so isolated.

Comment

I work from home and am alone for much of the day. Online stuff is great for break times - so when I sit down with a coffee or lunch, I'll look on here or, increasingly, on Twitter, where you can have "real time" mini conversations with people - a bit like a virtual watercooler, where you can hang out.

The motivation bit, like Ali says, comes from needing the money and also if you're making to order, from getting the item out to the customer in time (a lot of my stuff is personalised).

The radio is great for making you feel less alone, too.

Good luck, it's great being your own boss!
          digital stamps for cardmakers: http://www.handmadeharbour.co.uk
          blog: http://handmadeharbour.blogspot.com
          hand painted personalised plaques, clocks, canvases, etc: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk
          blog: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk/blog

Comment

Simple - with great difficulty. When sales are poor its sooo hard to be inspired & creative when you feel that what ever you make will just sit there.

Because I make cards, jewellery and knitted mobile coses etc I just used to move onto something else when I lost all inspiration in one medium but now I am generally feeling motivationless (is that a word?) in everything. One thing I think we all need is someone to tell us to get a grip.
            JOIAS DESIGNS

Comment

I think the biggest down side to working from home is being alone too much. When it gets a bit too much, I ask myself if I would prefer to work in an organisation, as I used to, and the answer is always no, because that would also have aspects that I wouldn't be happy with.

I occasionally "run away" for an hour or so, to a cafe in the country with a fantastic view, or maybe phone someone. I even gave myself a couple of days off recently. That can be another disadvantage, that you find yourself working too much. And I used to be someone who liked to close the door on work at the end of the day.
              Celia
              I can't be creative and tidy too
              www.jencel.co.uk for beads, findings and threads
              The Occasional Sheffield Bead Shop
              Jencel on Facebook

Comment

oooh I've never really had a problem with motivation myself because i have so much fun doing what i do, though when i was at uni and feeling uninspired i'd always look round at other people's work and google artists and crafters. seeing other people loving what they were doing and working hard would always motivate me to get going!

Comment

Originally posted by jencel View Post
                  That can be another disadvantage, that you find yourself working too much. And I used to be someone who liked to close the door on work at the end of the day.
                  Definitely - my problem too. It was over 15 months before I took a day off and even then we went out for the day and I took a couple of parcels that needed posting! I'm getting better at taking time off now :-)
                  digital stamps for cardmakers: http://www.handmadeharbour.co.uk
                  blog: http://handmadeharbour.blogspot.com
                  hand painted personalised plaques, clocks, canvases, etc: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk
                  blog: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk/blog

Comment

Thanks guys, lots here to think about. I like the idea of maybe organising a small informal sewing class/group maybe once or twice a month,I think that would definitely help, and the chance to spend time with like-minded people would be good.
                    I will take on your advice and make sure to take some time off ....occasionally too. ;o)

Comment

yep i must say its hard if i go up to my wood/workshop it has great view of the mountains and thats very hard to ignor but yes radio coffie and walks all help every ten mins though??? mmmm ok well i got new catolog so new stock in next few weeks and now i think a coffie and walk dog then more coffie and look at catolog then maybe sort accounts out that been on table for several weeks now waiting. MMMMM motavation What is that???? and yes i know i cant speeeeeel either lol
                      Pauline (Deceased) and Charlie (wishing he was)
                      www.crafty-bits.co.uk

www.geckocards.co.uk Ps this link is to old site ( not there now)
                      But it was Paulines so i cant delete it

Comment

Lol Pauline, you sound as though you get easily distracted not unlike myself! Its the loneliness I struggle with more than anything, I am normally on my own from around 9.30 am til 8.30 pm (unless OH has a day off work) and its sooo lonely. I realise that I am lucky to be able to consider giving up my part-time "proper" job to work for myself, but the thought of spending so long on my own every day is really bothering me.
                        I have one or two friends that live quite close but both are at work during the day.
                        Mmmmm I really need to think things through before I actually pack in work........although the idea is perfect on paper, I do need some human interaction during the day......decisions decisions....

Comment

I have been unemployed for quite a while now so my motivation is the more artwork I produce the more likely I am to sell something. I am doing quite well and when I sell another piece it gives me a lot more energy and motivate to keep going.

I listen to music to relax me and unplug the internet and TV so I don't get distracted!

Comment

Originally posted by jencel View Post
                            I think the biggest down side to working from home is being alone too much. When it gets a bit too much, I ask myself if I would prefer to work in an organisation, as I used to, and the answer is always no, because that would also have aspects that I wouldn't be happy with.

I occasionally "run away" for an hour or so, to a cafe in the country with a fantastic view, or maybe phone someone. I even gave myself a couple of days off recently. That can be another disadvantage, that you find yourself working too much. And I used to be someone who liked to close the door on work at the end of the day.
                            Yes it can be lonely! I'm now in a facebook group with some lovely ladies who do the same as me and it's made a world of difference - it keeps me going and we giggle all the time!
                            Bridal Hair Accessories

Comment

I compete with other people!! I also don't tell those people I'm competing to get my piece finished before they finish theirs! I find it's like setting my own personal goal. I think it's important to set goals no matter how small they are - it concentrates the mind. And also having someone to follow your progress is always fun too!! I also have to turn the computer off so I am not looking at this forum instead!
                              View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Working...
                              X