hints and tips for a good website design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hints and tips for a good website design

Hello I've been MIA lately as I'm currently doing a degree in webdesign and working as a freelance webdesigner when I do get a spare minute. So I havent had much time for crafts altho I do continue to sell now and again hoorah!
    I'm back to try and get some motivation to do more crafts and I'm thinking of starting some workshops in the northwest/ yorkshire region with a couple of other crafters.
    Anyhoo, in the interim, I thought I'd offer some hints and tips for all you lovely people to make your websites more efficient.

1. choose your colours carefully and dont go overboard. Colours can directly impact on whether your customer stays on your site or not. Choose colours that go with your brand - for example green is calming, blue suggests medical/ clean, red stands for passion and romance etc etc. Make sure you're colours don't clash and you dont have too many - three is the suggested magic number.
    2. don't put white text on a black background. E-marketing guru's think that people just dont read it. If you really want a black background find but make your text boxes lighter.
    3. Use curves where you can. curved corners on boxes, curves in your logo etc etc
    4. Use keywords, repeat them throughout your text and as titles for your images - even use common spelling mistakes, as likely people will accidently search google with them.
    5. Try and keep your site accessibility friendly. Accessibility is a legal requirement for business sites and if you've made your site by yourself, you might not be aware of this. Could someone with sight problems use your site?
    6. make use of white space (i.e blank space) If you have a bit of white space can it be filled with something productive? However, don't go to extremes and fill every bit of white space, it'll just look messy.
    7. keep it consistent. If you use one font on one page dont change it on the next. keep it all looking coherent.
    8. flash websites might look good but google cannot search the content. HTML is best and 'newer' html with css is even better. If google cant search your content, you cant be boosted up the listings.

Well thats it for now! This isnt a full guide just a couple of bits I've learnt along the way. If anyone has any questions on this or anything else web design related feel free to ask - I'm happy to help!

Suzi x
    Precious(has the biggest web-presence ever- check out all my links I have more than they will allow in a sig!!)
    Precious Creations website
    Precious Creations facebook page
    Artisan Website design at low cost! and my personal website (same link)
    My twitter: @precioustweetie (from there you can link to my blog Preciousbuzz provided by blogspot!)

Many thanks for that Suzi, any tips about web sites will help me out. Have decided that I will have to look into getting a site to help boost my sales.
    regards

Tam "now a hobby woodturner"

There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. (John Ruskin 1819-1900)

Comment

anytime!

If you need any help setting up IM me and I'll be happy to help where I can.

Sx
      Precious(has the biggest web-presence ever- check out all my links I have more than they will allow in a sig!!)
      Precious Creations website
      Precious Creations facebook page
      Artisan Website design at low cost! and my personal website (same link)
      My twitter: @precioustweetie (from there you can link to my blog Preciousbuzz provided by blogspot!)

Comment

A little known trade secret is register with dmoz.org

Comment

I agree with most of what has been said. Clean readable fornt. Good photographs, not too arty crafty and not too self congratulatory and narcasistic. Use terms that the average person in the street can understand and not obscure craft jargon. Your sites must be easy to edit and add and take away content. A lot of people have site built that are very difficult to edit. Look and learn from the very succesful sites that are on a similar wavelength. Go for a bespoke site if you can afford it and make sure the designer knows exactly what you want and what you want you site to do. Make sure that revisions can be made and if you can be in touch with the designer every step of the way. If you have a designer make sure that they are contactable or has a colleage who can sort the clients problems out. After the site has been built it is important to have a good technical support built in because there will always be problems with a new site.

Comment

Good tips

Two good sites for choosing colour schemes and patterns etc:

http://www.colourlovers.com/

http://colorschemedesigner.com/
            Crafter of little cube character plush toys

Cubely.co.uk

DeviantArt Profile
            Twitter!

Comment

Thanks for the tips. Anyone can benefit from this.
              ipod case

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I've just had my site revamped, so will go through it and check it against your list.
                Annie

Comment

Very timely for me as I'm just trying to put my website together - thanks.
                  CatkinJane - Handmade Material Things
                  http://www.catkinjane.co.uk/
                  http://www.facebook.com/CatkinJane
                  Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/CatkinJane
                  Blog http://catkinjane.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Thanks for the advise, will come in handy

Comment

Thanks, great advice. I will certainly bear this in mind.

Debs
                      Debs
                      On line shop www.lootybag.co.uk
                      Become a a fan on facebook for latest offfers, like me on www.facebook.com/lootybag
                      My Blog http://www.lootybag.co.uk/blog/
                      Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/Lootybag

Comment

Thanks

I was adamant I wanted white on black and took me a few months to see the problems, I am now running white on main website, crisp and clean!
                        Still on a black on second website, but when I finally get time to devote it will change

I'm not a lover of multiple fonts and too many colours either

So you mentioned spelling mistakes, are you saying we should deliberately put spelling mistakes in? as i get hits on mis spelt words anyway; i always presumed google did that
                        Dainty Rocks Jewellery ~ www.daintyrocks.etsy.com ~ www.daintyrocks.co.uk ~ @DaintyRocks

Comment

useful tips there!

Comment

Originally posted by freshfruitsalad View Post
                            Thanks

So you mentioned spelling mistakes, are you saying we should deliberately put spelling mistakes in? as i get hits on mis spelt words anyway; i always presumed google did that
                            No! Please don't take that advice, it is so the wrong thing to do. Search engines will most likely penalise you if you have spelling mistakes and bad grammar on your website, they want quality content to give to people.

Spelling mistakes are a big NO both for users and search engines. Search engines will accommodate peoples spelling mistakes whilst searching automatically.

Mick
                            Preserving your items and memories in Handmade custom jewellery Keepsake Gifts

Comment

Don't worry, there is no way I could live with a mis spelt website. spelling OCD!
                              Dainty Rocks Jewellery ~ www.daintyrocks.etsy.com ~ www.daintyrocks.co.uk ~ @DaintyRocks

Comment

Working...
                              X