Pens to write on painted wooden items

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pens to write on painted wooden items

I realise there are quite a few threads about this topic and I have trawled through most of them to get some advice and tips but I'm no further forward. Can someone tell me a pen which will most definitely write on wood (wood that has been painted with acrylic paint). I've tried Sharpie permanent markers, Sharpie paint pens, Bic permanent markers (with various sized points) and countless others including a pigment pen. I'm going to have to remortgage my house to buy any more!

Sharpie permanent markers seem to almost dry up and don't run smoothly over the wood/paint, Bic permanent markers seem to bleed as you write, pigment pens smudge when you varnish over them (even after leaving the writing to dry for 2 days) and also don't seem to run smoothly over the paint. The best seemed to be the Sharpie paint pen but even the fine tip is very thick, too thick for what I want to do.

Please, please, please someone point me in a definite direction before I go bankrupt and tear out my hair!

Thanks!

Have you tried gelly roll glaze pens from sakura....I use them on my painted plaques. I use the black one for my writing
    Sarah x

~ The Lilac Dragonfly- Handmade Jewellery ~

~ Facebook Page ~

Comment

Haven't tried them, Sarah, I've never heard of them but have just Googled. Do you varnish over the top?

Comment

They are brilliant for so many jobs!!!! You can even use the like enamel on metal.....
        I don't varnish as they leave a nice raised image....but think I tried it once and there didn't seem to be a problem
        I can't praise them highly enough (and no....I am not on commission lol)
        Sarah x

~ Facebook Page ~

Comment

Ah, well, I will try them out. I'm off to Harrogate next week for a little trip and I looked to see if Hobbycraft stock them....they do so I'll stop by and get some. Thanks!

Be warned....if they don't work I will hunt you down and cause you harm!
          Last edited by scjewellery; 31-03-2011, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Have you tried just using acrylic paint and a very fine paintbrush? I find that if you add a wee bit of water to a blob of paint and mix it up well, you can paint incredibly fine lines. Then I just spray varnish the whole thing afterwards.
            Visit the home of Jen's geeky peg people and cross stitch - www.randomlygenerated.ca

Instagram - @RandomlyGen
            Facebook - RandomlyGenerated
            Twitter - @RandomlyGen
            DeviantArt - jen-random

Comment

I'm not sure my hand is quite steady enough to write with a paint brush....I was however thinking I could do the writing with a fine pencil first and then paint over it, I'm guessing that would work?

Just looked at your Etsy shop....your little creations are fabulous! I shall pay a visit to your FB page too.

Comment

Originally posted by scjewellery View Post
                Ah, well, I will try them out. I'm off to Harrogate next week for a little trip and I looked to see if Hobbycraft stock them....they do so I'll stop by and get some. Thanks!

Be warned....if they don't work I will hunt you down and cause you harm!
                *runs and hides* I write things in pencil and go over them with the pens.....they WILL work
                Sarah x

~ Facebook Page ~

Comment

Well, Sarah, you'll be pleased to know I won't be hunting you down.....the Sakura pens work an absolute treat and they don't smudge if you varnish over them. Thanks so much for telling me about them.

Also, I was like a kid at Christmas in Hobbycraft! We're so limited with craft shops/supplies on the island so it doesn't take much to please me!

Comment

*comes out of hiding*...... glad they worked!!!
                    Sarah x

~ Facebook Page ~

Comment

If you are not sure about handwriting ,how about if you have a die cutter
                      cutting what you want in words then use the waste to write through with pen of choice .x
                      I am fairysparkle, and i am here to sprinkle fairy dust ever

http://fairiesmagnoliablog.blogspot.com/

Comment

Realise that this is an old thread, but just in case this helps anyone: Posca pens are water based (so don't smell) and will write on ANYTHING. If you use them on a porus surface, like wood, they're permanent. Non porus surfaces need varnishing. They come in a wide range of sizes/nibs and colours.
                        The most resilient paint pens (for mixed media/rough surfaces) are sharpies water based paint pens, the white one is pretty much a must have...

Re Varnishing non-porus surfaces: I hate the smell of varnish, but I recently found a water based one from Ecos paints (organic, safe paints and stains) I bought a sample pot of their matt varnish and its great!
                        hope this helps someone
                        Sand

May your muse be with you...

Comment

MOD EDIT...Please do not copy posts, especially the previous one!!

Dave.
                          Last edited by 3dDave; 28-08-2015, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Thank you both

Originally posted by scjewellery View Post
                            Well, Sarah, you'll be pleased to know I won't be hunting you down.....the Sakura pens work an absolute treat and they don't smudge if you varnish over them. Thanks so much for telling me about them.

Also, I was like a kid at Christmas in Hobbycraft! We're so limited with craft shops/supplies on the island so it doesn't take much to please me!
                            Thank you both for this thread! I was just about to buy a whole set of sharpie pens to write on painted wood so I'm glad I searched for help to check first!
                            We'll be using the pens to write on little hearts that are the leaves on the tree of our guestbook at our wedding this summer so want to get organised ready and have plenty on hand for the reception!
                            Thank you again!

Comment

Found this thread after scrolling thru' this is a big help ... already broke the bank trying various pens so will be now trying the sekura and posca pens. BUT before I do ... my use is also for writing on ceramic and glass surfaces so will these still be suitable ?

Thank you.
                              Jaci

https://folksy.com/shops/GothicFusion

https://www.facebook.com/Gothic-Fusion-Jewellery-128851500470172/?ref=hl

Comment

Working...
                              X