Soap and Hand turned Pens on the Telly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soap and Hand turned Pens on the Telly

Did anyone see the 'How It's Made' programme (on the Quest channel tonight) showing how turned wooden pens are made.

Absolutely fascinating.

And I absolutely love the BBC programme about two (really blokey) blokes who are making everything from scratch on their narrow boat.

Bit confused with their efforts at soapmaking though - they appeared to use it in the next couple of days after they'd made it. I thought it had to stand for some weeks? (Not that I know much about it)
    Kate
    www.cuckoos-nest-fairs.co.uk

Oh dear I missed that.

I have seen pens "turned", it is amazing and so clever.

Re the soap, it would depend on how it was made ~ M&P can be used straight the way, though if in the progrmme soap was made from scratch it probably wasn't M&P?

HP can be used straight the way,but CP does need to saponify (cure) for a few weeks - though there is nothing to stop anyone using it next day, though it wouldn't be at it's best and could still be quite caustic.

HTH

Jane
    www.just-soaps.com
    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Didn't see the pens, but I do now know how to make car radiators, winter jackets, CDs, tights, work shoes, trucks, carrier bags - the list is endless!
      Wid

Comment

Originally posted by greannancrafts View Post
        HP can be used straight the way,but CP does need to saponify (cure) for a few weeks - though there is nothing to stop anyone using it next day, though it wouldn't be at it's best and could still be quite caustic.

HTH

Jane
        I think it was made from CP as they first went to the Butcher and sliced off their own lump of animal fat, then added different ingredients. At the end of the process he went in the shower with his handmade soap which they hadn't bothered to slice up - it was about the size of a house brick!
        Kate
        www.cuckoos-nest-fairs.co.uk

Comment

I love watching 'How its Made' and it made me realise how much I took for granted some of the everyday things I use! It is amazing to watch how these things are created. The two part special on handmade violins makes you realise why these instruments can run to thousands to buy!
          Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
          Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
          Follow me on Twitter:
          @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

The soap making was on episode 2 of The Boat that Guy Built and he and his mate do all sorts of old crafts and old industrial processes towards his canal boat. He is well know as a TT motorbike racer as well.

Comment

Didn't see the program but having turned a few pens all I will say is that whilst the turning is the fascinating bit for most people it is probably the least time consuming bit of the process in my experience
              Pat Murphy

http://www.gladturnings.co.uk
              https://www.facebook.com/GladTurnings.Woodturning

Comment

Working...
              X