advise on how to make homemade plaques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advise on how to make homemade plaques

i am fairly crafty with making my own cards etc just for family and friends - i bought some homemade plaques that say things like - "i love you to the moon and back" and things for christmas for grannies and grandads. I would love to do these gifts my self - again just for gifts for the family.

the thing is i have no idea where to start - can you buy the wood already cut in different shapes - what paint do you use. Seriously any help would be great.
    Oh and i have spent hours looking at all your gorgeous gifts you have inspired me! x

ps my name is sarah, i work full time (well 52 hours a week contract ) and have a 16 month old little boy called toby who is simply my world!

Hi, I have quite a few contacts regarding wood, depends where you are, I'm in Northamptonshire, I've got the kit to cut wood to pretty much any shape you want, but I'm not running a business so cant mail anything, but if I can help, drop me a mail.

P.S. I'm a bit supprised you have time for crafting, 16 month old must be a challenge, let alone 52 hrs a week working, good luck with whatever you do

Comment

You can buy the blanks here and in other stores as well. Google 'Pyrography blanks' to find more. Acrylic paints work fine but make sure the blank is well sanded first and finish with an acrylic varnish. Lots of thin coats are better than one thick one

Hope this helps

pete
      "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
      Facebook

Website

Comment

I use this guy Jigsaw Workshop fast and reliable and good quality and price
        Sarah x

~ The Lilac Dragonfly- Handmade Jewellery ~

~ Facebook Page ~

Comment

thank you but a little more advise

thats brilliant - thank you - one more question - how do you make the holes to put the wire/ribbon on nd what wire would you use.

Also practised on some wooden bits - how do you paint without getting thumb marks?

Comment

Originally posted by summer76 View Post
            thats brilliant - thank you - one more question - how do you make the holes to put the wire/ribbon on nd what wire would you use.

Also practised on some wooden bits - how do you paint without getting thumb marks?
            Use a brush?

...sorry ..OK. Either paint the plaque on one side at a time with it lying flat or make your holes (drill them then sand back around the edges of the holes) and hang them up with some scrap string and spray paint them. Very thin coats several times is best. The thumb prints sound as if you are putting the paint on fairly thick and it isn't fully dry when you handle them. Always aim to have several thin coats whether brushing or spraying, it dries quicker and gives a better finish.

Pete
            "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
            Facebook

Website

Comment

Originally posted by summer76 View Post

To make holes: clamp to a table with the place to be drilled overhanging. Otherwise, buy plaques with holes ready-drilled.

To paint without making fingerprints: I know from experience this is not as daft as it sounds! You do get better with experience, but I paint the front and sides of the plaque, at the last point of this balancing it on the palm of my hand. Then I dry it off (I stand them on a jam jar lid so the paint doesn't get stuck to the shelf) then paint the back (same drying procedure). I then sand the front and sides and give them a second coat.

I use a 1mm wire, coated aluminium. The place I get it from only sells in 120m lengths but if you google it you'll find lots more who do it in smaller quantities.
              digital stamps for cardmakers: http://www.handmadeharbour.co.uk
              blog: http://handmadeharbour.blogspot.com
              hand painted personalised plaques, clocks, canvases, etc: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk
              blog: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk/blog

Comment

ok - so i have tried a few things and they look okish! A few more questions (cheeky)

what sort of pen can i write on paint with that will stand out a little and also if i do decide to cut my own wood - what equipment do i need especially for letters - i am stumped!

Thank you ..... again x

Comment

I use sakura gelly-glaze pens which leave a raised shiny effect to my letters....as for the wood...am sure someone will be able to answer that for you x
                  Sarah x

~ The Lilac Dragonfly- Handmade Jewellery ~

~ Facebook Page ~

Comment

If you want to make your own letters then you will need to purchase a scroll saw. A scroll saw uses a very fine blade which will enable you to cut intricate shapes.

Look at the wood section for more info on scroll saws.

Comment

Working...
                    X