A day out with my Son.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A day out with my Son.

If anyone enjoys or follows Brittish athletics you will probably have heard of the Kelvin Hall in Glasgow. Today I took my son Craig there to compete after he had been selected for the under 13 team for the new Ravenscraig sports complex team in Motherwell. His task for the day was long jump and a 200m section in a weird setup relay. Well anyway he started jumping and because it was a team event they had markers 4 meters being the last marker, up till now Craig has been an under 4m indoor jumper but today he was jumping well over 4m and he must have been about between 10 and 20cm short of the board every time, we dont have accurate measurments so it cant be counted towards his PB but we know it was better, so his outdoor season is going to be great hopefully i also think he ran one of his fastest 200m aswell but as I said the relay was a weird setup, 2x200 > 2x600 > 2x200 > 2x600 1st the boy then 2nd leg was a girl and all one race. His team was sitting joint 3rd before the Relay so depending on times as there was 2 heats depended on where they finished overall. We all had to sit and wait for the annoncment and when it came over the tannoy his team won 3rd place over all so the kids went home with a bronze medal and were totally made up at their achievments.

Thats him at the back (picture quality aint that great)

As the Ravenscraig facility is new and the other teams that were compeating were the best of the best teams that trained at some of the biggest athletics clubs & facilities in Scotland like Grangemouth and Medowbank the team managers were not really expecting them to place. The Ravenscraig team were made up from a pick of Airdrie harriers and Cumbernauld AAC, one of the lads only turned 11 last week and this was his first under 13 competition (in front of Craig). Craig has been running for a little over a year now and dosen't turn 12 till next month so it was quite a young team.

I guess I had a great day out, my son made me proud as did the rest of the team, they all did really well and went out their comfort zones to overcome some really good teams.

Drew

www.airdrieharriers.com his club website.
    Our Website & Blog (work in Progress)
    our Facebook page
    follow me on Twitter @handywoodcrafts

That's brilliant, well done Craig.

Comment

I love to hear when kids do well. You are a justly proud Father. Well done Craig and his team.
      Carol
      God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

What an amazing achievement for the whole team and very well done to Craig on his impressive long jumps - sounds like some good quality technique guidance would quickly improve the lengths he is recording. To get third place in a competition where other teams have the best facilities and coaches shows just how much raw talent there is in the team - just think what they could do with expert guidance to channel that talent!

Linda

Comment

You are rightly a very proud dad Drew and well done to Craig and his team mates they had obviously put a lot of hard work in to acheive that well earned place.

Mo.XX
          Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
          Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
          www.bodrighy.co.uk
          https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

I am a proud dad, and cant wait till the outdoor season starts. Thanks for all the great comments

Drew
            Our Website & Blog (work in Progress)
            our Facebook page
            follow me on Twitter @handywoodcrafts

Comment

Working...
            X