Rotary cutter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotary cutter?

I've been thinking about getting a rotary cutter for a while now to try and speed things up abit and wonder if anyone uses one?
    Will it cut curves? What is the maximum weight of fabric it will cut? Cotton drill? Cordroy? Upholstery? Will it cut thin soft leather and leatherette? What brand should I get? What about blade size, they seem to do small ones and big ones? How often will I need to replace the blades?
    Any info will be greatly received x
    www.belovedly.co.uk
    www.mybelovedlylife.blogspot.com
    www.belovedly.folksy.com

Belovedly facebook group

They are fantastic things and I would definately recommend them. I started using one about 20 yrs ago and haven't used scissors to cut out since. I use the ofla large one and the same make mat. Go for thew biggest mat you can afford. It loves curves of any sort.
    I use mine for mainly satins and cottons but have used it on cords in the past. Not sure about leather, if I had some I would try it but don't think I have.
    I change my blade about every 3 mths or so and that's using it several times every day. You do have to be careful not to go over pins etc because it will put a nick in the blade and then it's useless. You also have to be careful not to cut your fingers!
    www.debbiehowe.com

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...52781658101133

Comment

Yes Ali get one get one!! I have one and love it!! I use the ofla one too with in medium I think, with the safety red button. With the littlies around, I this its a better safety mechaism than the cheap ones...

Tbh, you only need to change the blade about 3 months or less depending ho much you use it. Heavyweight fabrics are cut easy peasy, but will blunt the blade quicker than cottons.

Will wander off to try it on a bit of leather I have.

one tip I do is to buy the really cheap rotary cuters from hubbies work, chuck the darn thing away, but two blades are in the packet!!! Mucho cheaper and I think they are the ofla blades anyhow.

I cut things straight against a patchwork rular (great fr cutting out purses and clutch bags!)

And curvey bits too...but unless you get an enormous mat, you might be a bit restricted but cutting out only to the size of your mat..for instance I can cut out bodices on my mat, but not the full skirts so much.
      my folksy
      Kryshees Blog
      www.kryshees.com

Comment

oo titchy pic... but cut leather like a dream!! The one in the packet is the cutter that costs like a fiver or something

my folksy
        Kryshees Blog
        www.kryshees.com

Comment

Thanks to both of you for the info, it does sound like I need one

Krysia - can you send the link to my facebook or hotmail as it's not working on here.

Cheers ladies xx
          www.belovedly.co.uk
          www.mybelovedlylife.blogspot.com
          www.belovedly.folksy.com

Belovedly facebook group

Comment

Working...
          X