Cuttlefish csting ~ Pewter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cuttlefish csting ~ Pewter

Next week is half term and my son is off from work. Since Christmas he's been watching You tube tutorials and reading all about the art of cuttlefish casting with pewter. He's now ordered all the things he'll need to cast pendants. Do you have any tips and advice. The thought of metal that hot fills me with trepidation and dispite the fact that he has the safelty clothing I'm petrified at the thought (although I am looking forward to seeing what he comes up with.
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

I was reading this thread the other day maybe it might help :-)

http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/showthr...lems...-help-!

Looking forward to seeing what he comes up with though - hope he will share his results :-)

Francesca
    * BLOG * WEB * FACEBOOK * TWITTER *
    Watch faces, Crystal Innovations sliders and much more

* Rome wasn't built in a day - although that was the builders original estimate *

Comment

Get him to do it outside or in a garage/shed. If it's spilt the floor will be ruined. Also a bucket of cold water close by would be a good idea too!
      www.belovedly.co.uk
      www.mybelovedlylife.blogspot.com
      www.belovedly.folksy.com

Belovedly facebook group

Comment

In this health and safety mad age this will horrify you but I was casting pewter at 9 years old. I made a 'crucible' from a small baked bean can. I bent the top to make a lip for pouring, used pliers for the handle, melted everything on the hob in the kitchen (the sink is near by). We were all doing it and had lots of fun. If I burnt myself I don't remember it and bear no scars.......just the thoughts of what's all the fuss about. (I might think twice if my grandchild to be asked to cast in my spankingly newly made over kitchen. )
        I'm say what my son said to me when playing with fire poi. "Don't worry mum. It's cold fire."
        Melted pewter is not that hot. It is hot but other melted melted metals are way hotter.
        In the metal world melting pewter is on a par with melting butter.

Let him have fun and learn to be careful.

Comment

He's 19 and works in a lab with all sorts of dangerous stuff. I'm just being a wussy mother!

Comment

It sounds great fun!! I love working with metal. Hope you share the results.
            Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

I've done a U turn and am now with you in being a wussy mum. Middle son (doing a diving course) has just emailed "I'm swimming with sharks. Don't worry they are good sharks."

Comment

definatly need a wussy mother thread!

Comment

Working...
                X