When did you start making stuff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did you start making stuff?

We've had a bit of a nostalgic journey this weekend. My parents had to empty their loft so that they could have new insulation fitted, so I was asked if I could PLEASE remove my stuff, (don't know why, it's only been there for a couple of decades...!)

Anyway, look what they found:

Meccano Jones Childs Sewing Machine by formerglory, on Flickr

I remember using it to make clothes for my dolls in the 1960's! Then they found a collection of my old artwork and lino prints. It made me think...I would never have guessed back then that I would have ended up doing what I do for a living now, I always wanted to be a vet!!

So how long have you all been making stuff and did you ever imagine that you would be doing what you do today for a living?
    www.formerglory.co.uk- www.seatweaving.blogspot.com - Facebook page - Twitter

I remember when I was young I got one of those sets where you have a million matchsticks and make something with them. My set was to make a Gypsy Caravan. I made it all and painted it, but I don't have a clue what happened to it.
    I also remember my Mum saying that I spent hours with egg boxes making a Nativity scene one Christmas, with all the animals characters etc. I don't have that either.
    I think I was a strange child though because she also said that I spent hours sitting on the beach just sorting through the pebbles.
    I don't really make anything for a living, but now and then I make a bit of money to replace my supplies when I paint doll faces.

Comment

As a child I used to paint, draw and sew. I made clothes for my dolls and teddies and spent ages figuring out how to make the patterns - in particular, the shapes I had to cut out to make trousers so my dolls could sit down! I remember making a "gonk" which was ugly and badly-stitched, but I was quite proud of him. I was about six, maybe seven.

I didn't much like painting-by-numbers or colouring books (which I always got bought for me) because I always wanted to draw my own pictures and designs. Blank pages and scraps of fabric were much more desirable to me than kits. Luckily, my Grandma was a cleaner in a shirt factory and used to bring me fabric samples and reels of cotton, some of which I still have.

My dream as a child was to be an artist. I spent some time designing and making children's clothes, I've designed for craft magazines and now paint wooden plaques and gifts. Despite everything I did when I was little, I never would have imagined it!
      digital stamps for cardmakers: http://www.handmadeharbour.co.uk
      blog: http://handmadeharbour.blogspot.com
      hand painted personalised plaques, clocks, canvases, etc: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk
      blog: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk/blog

Comment

For as long as I can remember (so over 50 years), I came from a creative family both parents, grandparents on both sides, aunts etc, so art and sewing were the norm. I know when at school friends used to love to visit our house during the holidays as there was always something being created, my Mother used both oils and watercolours along with yards of fabric, my great aunt a dressmaker and another a milliner, so when I say knee high I mean just that. Funny though it has taken me a long time to appreciate the free reign I had in the creativity stakes and would certainly not be doing what I am now without that background.

Comment

Sounds like inspiration and the desire to create starts young, sometimes gets put aside for a while, then comes back to roost!

Comment

I can't remember when I started making things; I think I was around 4 or 5 when my mum started to teach me to knit. I've always knitted and sewed, tried things like pottery at school [dreadful] and painting [awful]. Not too bad at dressmaking but not really interested. I do recall getting one of those jewellery making kits when I was about 9 and started making jewellery again in my teens. I picked up cross-stitching and patchwork in my 20s. As well as my jewellery I still knit but the others fell by the wayside.

The one thing I could never ever do and still can't, is cook.
            Heather
            Pretty Things Handmade Jewellery

Website - www.prettythingsjewellery.co.uk

Destash bead and papercrafting shop - http://www.misi.co.uk/handmade/BlackCatBeads.html

New blog - www.prettythingsandwitterings.blogspot.com

Comment

I remember when I was a child I used to look forward to Christmas as I always got a Rupert Album (Wish I had em now, worth a bob or two) they were hardbacked and I loved the origami and would make them over and over again. So, why am I not into paper crafts then? Odd isn't it.
              Carol
              God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

First thing I ever made was a dress for my doll susan at primary school age 5. I had to learn embroidery and hand stiched it all.

Moved on to Barbi, later became clothing designer.

Long long time ago now.

Grandmother was a milliner, grandfather master carpenter, sister art teacher and sculpter.

Son budding photographer.

Taught craft, clothing design.

Oh and learnt to knit when I worked in a really boring shop, to pass the time between customers!

Work as data manager on a computer to make a living, so I can affird to indulge my making side.

Sad really, but love making everything, doing DIY and generally making a mess.

and hoping that I can turn my fascinators into a business in the next few months.
                If you dont have a go ................... you will never know

https://www.facebook.com/HatPiece

www.HatPiece.co.uk

Comment

When I was six, my Aunt Hazel gave me a book called The Make-it Book and that was it...I've been making stuff ever since!

My mother taught me to hand sew when I was five - still have my "needle books." I learned to knit when I was 9 ish.

Also, I had REAL art lessons at age 6, at the Corcoran Art Gallery in Washington DC and that beloved experience is as vivid in my memory as can be. Sigh.

I made a doll clothes wardrobe out of a cardboard box when I was 8. It had a hanging rod and doorknobs...it was covered in green contact paper.

I also hammered together a shoe shine box about the same age, out of wood scraps.
                  Last edited by removed10; 13-02-2011, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Critchley View Post
                    I remember when I was a child I used to look forward to Christmas as I always got a Rupert Album (Wish I had em now, worth a bob or two) they were hardbacked and I loved the origami and would make them over and over again. So, why am I not into paper crafts then? Odd isn't it.
                    It was my highlight of Christmas too! But I could never figure the origami at all, would start and then get confused! Ooh and I still have my Rupert books and don't worry they aren't worth that much!
                    But back to the original question I too started out sewing, my mum was a dressmaker and I used to 'play' on the old manual Singer (couldn't imagine my kids doing that now, if its not connected to a games console they don't want to know) and have dabbled in all sorts of crafts via a fine arts degree arriving at glass art, and 'Former Glory' that machine looks awesome! Does it still work?
                    Blog: www.covegardennursery.co.uk/garden-nursery-blog/
                    Facebook: Cove Garden Nursery

Comment

i started in high school.
                      it must have been in the 8th grade or something. back there i had a very good study advisor, who was really concerned about his students and motivated us in our talents. he adviced me to attend the art workshop after he saw some stuff i made.
                      after that i never stopped in being creative and productive! =D

Comment

Originally posted by HF Glass Lady View Post
                        It was my highlight of Christmas too! But I could never figure the origami at all, would start and then get confused! Ooh and I still have my Rupert books and don't worry they aren't worth that much!
                        But back to the original question I too started out sewing, my mum was a dressmaker and I used to 'play' on the old manual Singer (couldn't imagine my kids doing that now, if its not connected to a games console they don't want to know) and have dabbled in all sorts of crafts via a fine arts degree arriving at glass art, and 'Former Glory' that machine looks awesome! Does it still work?
                        Mind you, mine would be a tad older than yours.
                        Oh yes, I might be popping in next Sat/Sunday to sample your cream teas as I am in Devon for a week or so.
                        Carol
                        God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

I can remember (just) sitting at the dining table with my grandmother making rugs. I'd do about 6 loops while she did a row. I did get faster though. Skiving off maths and other lessons to go down the woodwork shop at school was anther early experience as we.. I was brought up making things whether it was rugs, bread or toys. Seems I have always been making something. LOL

pete
                          "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
                          Facebook

Website

Comment

Started out making a wardrobe and the clothes for my Sindy Doll when I was about 6 or 7. The best christmas present I can ever remember was a huge bag of fabric offcuts, a smaller one of trimmings and a three tier fold out sewing box full of needles, threads, buttons and masses of sewing stuff. Later learned that it had all been collected over months by Mum and a friend. Fabric from jumble clothes washed ironed and cut up into nice pieces. Trimmings, buttons etc removed and saved, even the sewing box was second hand. Somehow that made it all the more special that they had taken the trouble over so much time to get it all together.

After that I made my own clothes from the age of 12 when I got an old hand singer machine, straight stitch only with a shuttle bobbin, although I still make some by hand. After that I have done so many different crafts, tapestry, crochet, upholstery, flower arranging, patchwork, made a few cards, but once I had mastered each one I was bored and went onto the next. None of it resulted in my choice of career though, as I have worked mainly as a timber furniture and product designer for the last 30 years after training as an Architectural Technician.

Mo.XX
                            Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
                            Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
                            www.bodrighy.co.uk
                            https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

Originally posted by HF Glass Lady View Post
                              I'm also sad that kids now are fascinated by the "vitual", they really don't know what they're missing. And the sewing machine.....yes, it still works!!! I wonder if the games consoles will still work in 30 or so years time.......?

Originally posted by Critchley View Post
                              Mind you, mine would be a tad older than yours.
                              Oh yes, I might be popping in next Sat/Sunday to sample your cream teas as I am in Devon for a week or so.
                              Will you pass through Dorset? The kettles always on here, you'd be welcome.

Originally posted by MornieG Jewellery View Post
                              Fabric from jumble clothes washed ironed and cut up into nice pieces. Trimmings, buttons etc removed and saved, even the sewing box was second hand. Somehow that made it all the more special that they had taken the trouble over so much time to get it all together.

Mo.XX
                              Yes it was the time and attention that mattered, wasn't it great?

Comment

Working...
                              X