Favourite website designs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite website designs

I'm always looking to improve my website and that got me thinking...

What do people like on a website? How important is a clean design - do you like something unique, or something more like major shopping sites where you generally know where everything is e.g. amazon.

I realise some people won't be able to list any favourites, but what are your favourites in terms of design/usability?
    I really like the layout of http://www.westwoodrocks.com/ (although not the whizzy banner!)
    I also like the clean lines look of misi...

What do you think? Am just looking for some inspiration!!
    www.mydandelionmind.wordpress.com
    Thoughts are a bit like weeds - they keep growing all over the place and you cant get rid of them easily.

There's generally two avenues for designing a site. The first one is the most typical (because people generally can't afford web designers) and that's using something like wordpress and using a nice looking template whilst trying to retrofit your content into it.

The second, and most ideal way, is to get all your content together, give each set of data a priority and come up with a layout (forget colours, images etc at this point) that best presents the information in a clean, simple to read and easy to navigate way. Then you start making it look pretty.

I think for something like a typical shop you want to present the products in a nice simple and clean way so the items are the focus of attention and not the shop. I think the site you linked to does a good job of this. Also fixed width (as they have on that westwood site) is really helpful from a design perspective because you know how it's going to look on every resolution above a certain point.

My site isn't a great example because a) I'm not a web designer and b) I didn't follow my own advice but no doubt i'll tweak it constantly to try and better the usability of it.

You've also got to worry a little about cross-browser compatibility. Typically Internet Explorer likes being difficult and while a site can look fine in Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Opera etc, IE will look all wrong. Again the simpler the layout the less likely you are to have problems with this.
    Last edited by Thomas!; 10-02-2011, 02:42 PM.
    Crafter of little cube character plush toys

Cubely.co.uk

DeviantArt Profile
    Twitter!

Comment

I think a clean design is vital. People need to be able to find what they want quickly, in this instant world. Good photos with an unfussy background are good too. Your peach background sets off your jewellery nicely. A personal dislike of mine (and I didn't see any on your site) is flash.

I had a look at your site, and you have some lovely items on there, with easy to find categories. I think the navigation buttons at the top of the page in the shop pages (for earrings, necklaces etc) should be a bit bigger, as they are on the home page. And maybe, on the shop pages, have all the photos the same size, and separated a bit?

Hope my suggestions are helpful. Websites are such a lot of work, especially if you're redesigning.
      Celia
      I can't be creative and tidy too
      www.jencel.co.uk for beads, findings and threads
      The Occasional Sheffield Bead Shop
      Jencel on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Thomas! View Post
        My site isn't a great example because a) I'm not a web designer and b) I didn't follow my own advice but no doubt i'll tweak it constantly to try and better the usability of it.
        My hubby loved your website and spent ages looking at the technical layout. I think he said you use wordpress and he's now got all excited about what can be done with it, he had no idea you could get a website looking like that with it.
        Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Originally posted by nattynetty View Post
          My hubby loved your website and spent ages looking at the technical layout. I think he said you use wordpress and he's now got all excited about what can be done with it, he had no idea you could get a website looking like that with it.
          Thankyou If he wants to ask any questions then send me a pm and I'd be happy to answer a few.

The main site is just Wordpress using a theme I heavily modified (using trial and error mainly ). Link to the theme (which is free):

http://upthemes.com/themes/gallery/

Stuff like the buttons that change when you hover over them he can probably figure out by looking at the source code and css (which is a bit messy).

In regards to the stuff you can do, it pales in comparison to stuff like this:

http://benthebodyguard.com/
          Crafter of little cube character plush toys

Cubely.co.uk

DeviantArt Profile
          Twitter!

Comment

Originally posted by jencel View Post
            I think a clean design is vital. People need to be able to find what they want quickly, in this instant world. Good photos with an unfussy background are good too. Your peach background sets off your jewellery nicely. A personal dislike of mine (and I didn't see any on your site) is flash.

I had a look at your site, and you have some lovely items on there, with easy to find categories. I think the navigation buttons at the top of the page in the shop pages (for earrings, necklaces etc) should be a bit bigger, as they are on the home page. And maybe, on the shop pages, have all the photos the same size, and separated a bit?

Hope my suggestions are helpful. Websites are such a lot of work, especially if you're redesigning.
            Yes very, thank you!

Thomas! -that Ben the Body guard site is the most unusual site i've seen for a while. I have gone for route no.1. I would love to make my own site. I know how I want it to work..its just having the skills to make it that way. Might have a go at the ol' wordpress Thanks for your help.
            www.mydandelionmind.wordpress.com
            Thoughts are a bit like weeds - they keep growing all over the place and you cant get rid of them easily.

Comment

Working...
            X