Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Race For Life

Hi all!

I am taking part in this years Race For Life to raise money for Cancer Research.

I have mentioned more details on my blog and would really appreciate it if anyone was feeling generous enough to sponsor me!

http://charlottehupfieldceramics.blo...ponsor-me.html

Every little amount is a huge help

Thanks,

Charlotte x

Good luck with it. I did the Race for Life in Lancaster last year and it was a great atmosphere. However, I'm sorry to say that the great experience was somewhat tainted when a couple of months later Cancer Research UK started cold-calling all participants in a bid to get them to sign up to a £10 a month direct debit donation! Pretty low and wrong, in my opinion, and it helped make my decision about taking part again

Comment

Originally posted by scjewellery View Post
      Good luck with it. I did the Race for Life in Lancaster last year and it was a great atmosphere. However, I'm sorry to say that the great experience was somewhat tainted when a couple of months later Cancer Research UK started cold-calling all participants in a bid to get them to sign up to a £10 a month direct debit donation! Pretty low and wrong, in my opinion, and it helped make my decision about taking part again
      That's terrible......I did it last year and was wondering whether to do it this year...(thought I might do it every other year because I think there's only so many times you can ask people to sponser you)
      But to resort to cold calling isn't very wise I think
      Sarah x

~ The Lilac Dragonfly- Handmade Jewellery ~

~ Facebook Page ~

Comment

I was very disappointed and angry. I'd travelled a long way at my own expense and raised almost £1,000 in sponsorship for the charity. I told them how disappointed I was with them and that I wouldn't be taking part again nor donating money to Cancer Research UK again. What made it worse was she kept me talking and asking about the experience for about 15 minutes before hitting me with "would you pledge £10 a month to us?"!

I completely support cancer charities as my son is a leukaemia survivor but I tend now to support more specific ones and the local hospice.

Comment

I sell friendship bracelets in the cancer research colours to raise money....a friend lost her battle last year and I felt I needed to do something....But they're going to get a bad name if they continue cold calling.....Another friend started a direct debit after he lost his father....they only had the audacity to ring one evening to ask if he'd increase his monthly direct debit!! I thought that was terrible x
          Sarah x

~ Facebook Page ~

Comment

Sorry, Charlotte, haven't meant to highjack your thread and don't want to put you off doing it, I appreciate they need the money and they've made fantastic progress even since my son was ill 10 years ago. Just a word of warning though about their tactics after you've completed the Race and handed over your sponsorship. I'm sure some people sign up just because they feel guilty and feel they have to.

Comment

I think most charities tend to do this nowadays as they know you've helped them in the past so chances are you're more likely to donate than someone randomly selected. With the squeeze in the economy you can't really blame them as they are probably getting less donations through the normal methods.

Last year I sent off a cheque to a Breast Cancer charity after having the pins and mobile charms for sale in my shop, my friend had organised it in memory of her mum (and rather poignantly my friend now is battling it herself) and since then I've had lots of mail from them asking if I'd like to donate every month - I never put my telephone number on anything if I can help it so they couldn't phone me. I don't let it annoy me for the reasons I gave above and it wouldn't put me off fundraising for them again in the future - it must be very difficult for them at the moment.

Good luck with the Race for Life Charlotte and good for you
              Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Sorry, Charlotte, haven't meant to highjack your thread and don't want to put you off doing it, I appreciate they need the money and they've made fantastic progress even since my son was ill 10 years ago. Just a word of warning though about their tactics after you've completed the Race and handed over your sponsorship. I'm sure some people sign up just because they feel guilty and feel they have to.
                I wasn't trying to put you off either.....I do intend on doing it again because I believe in the cause deeply....am just a little saddened that they have to resort to cold calling....
                Sarah x

~ Facebook Page ~

Comment

Well to be honest, underhand tactics like this will only serve to go against them, I think. To cold call and basically make you feel guilty and almost bully you into setting up a monthly direct debit is disgraceful, especially after they've made out to start with that it's a courtesy call to see how you enjoyed the experience!

Anyway, I've said my piece and like I said earlier, good luck with it.

Edit to say that was in response to the earlier post, not your's, Sarah.

Comment

Well to be honest, underhand tactics like this will only serve to go against them, I think. To cold call and basically make you feel guilty and almost bully you into setting up a monthly direct debit is disgraceful, especially after they've made out to start with that it's a courtesy call to see how you enjoyed the experience!
                    Like I say I think they all do it now, I don't agree with it but it must work otherwise they wouldn't do it. I used to have a direct debit set up for another charity but had to cancel it as we were completely skint - they obviously pass (or rather sell) on your details to other charities as I had loads of cold calls. The worst was a cause that I believed very strongly in and told them this before they then hit me with the DD request and massive guilt trip - I had to tell them that if they persuaded me to donate money I didn't have I'd end up in debt and possibly homeless myself. That shut her up!
                    Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Im doing the Race for Life in Edinburgh. 5k. Im doing it mainly for a fitness challenge but its good to raise money too. If i could choose i would be raising money for something less known and supported (not that cancer isnt worth raising money for, my aunty had breast cancer, i just feel other charities dont get quite as much coverage)
                      Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

Working...
                      X