Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sale or Return???

Hi everybody
    I'm new to the forum so not even sure I'm in the right area to ask this question!
    I am currently doing a BA in textiles and trying to earn some money from my crafts as well, I've done a few craft fairs which were ok but nothing special (there's not that many around my area).
    Someone has suggested that I try a few small local shops on a sale or return option, I was just wondering if anybody could give me some more information on this arrangement please?
    Hope you can help
    Alison

with sale or return it is essential to discuss the arrangement fully with potential shops. There are some issues to be aware of such as:
    • Who is responsible for damaged or missing stock
    • have you a contract in place stating that the goods rightfully belong to you (in the event that the shop goes bust, you will need to prove that your goods are not assets of the shop)
    • you need to discuss mark up (the amount that the shop will add onto your price to make proffit .... bear in mind that with sale or return you may need to reduce the amount you ask to make it viable for the shop to sell them on)
    • Are you going to get recognition for your goods. Some shops do not want any link back to the creator.
    I've been selling on a sale or return basis for some time and have found it works well for me. Other people do not like the fact that they loose control when there goods are under someone elses descisions.
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Thanks for that, I hadn't even thought about recognition for my goods, to be honest, I just asumed I would put my labels on as normal, thats given a few more things to think about.
      I havn't done a lot of research into it yet, at the moment I feel i'm undercharging at the craft fairs i've been doing so I definetly need to re-think my costs, what percentage would a retailer generally take, is there anything that would be the "norm"?

Comment

With the people I deal with it's about 100% mark up, but everyone is different. I am in the process of writing an article (thankyou for the inspiration) for our craftsforum blog which I'll pop on either later tonight or tomorrow.

Comment

That would be brill, and thanks again for your help.

Comment

I sell through a shop on a sale or return basis & their mark-up is only 35% & I get full recognition for my work & for only £20, I get a photo of some of my stuff plus my name on their leaflet -so it may be worth shopping around. Best of luck to you, please let us know how you get on.
            Jayne

"One must have chaos in oneself in order to give birth to a dancing star."

Comment

Thats great thank you, thats the sort of percentage I was hoping for.
              What would you suggest as the best way to approach the shops, i'm not really comfortable at the thought of cold calling, would you suggest I phone first or drop in a leaflet in or something????

Comment

article in place on the blog.
                You should be able to negotiate the mark up. The basis is HOW MUCH DO YOU WANT they can then mark up whatever they feel appropriate on top.

I've been very lucky with the galleries /outlets I work with. 2 of them approached me at the farmers market I appear at each month and the others were where I had business contacts from a networking group. Members there rang me and said I've been talking to a lady in a shop and she'd be interested in seeing your work.
                You should recky the joint first to see what dispaly, current goods, prices etc are like and then have a friendly chat with the counter staff. sound them out and find out who owns the shop, makes descissions etc. if you are talking to the right person you can make an appointment to bring some stock in to show. Never broach the subject though if you are not dressed for business. You need to put on a professional front!

Comment

Only done it the one time, and that was through a friend of a freind.
                  Unfortunately we have never recieved stock back or payment for items sold.
                  So I would def make sure everything is in place like others have suggested and not be as stupid and trusting as me!!!!!!
                  http://butterbeandesigns.co.uk/

Comment

It's so difficult to find the 'right' approach. I was lucky, I just sent an email to the artist who runs the shop & had a fantastic reply. It might be worth going & having a look & maybe chatting to the owner. I know that my sister & bother-in-law, who run a small shop, really appreciate a personal approach, especially if they can see examples of the person's work. Although, if you find the shop's busy, it may be better to wait for/go back at a quieter time.
                    Jayne

"One must have chaos in oneself in order to give birth to a dancing star."

Comment

Working...
                    X