Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-tarnishing jump rings

Hi All.

Can anyone advise me of the best jump rings to use for chain maille?
    I've made some really nice necklaces, but they look as though they are starting to tarnish.
    Either I've got some dodgy jump rings, or I'm using the wrong kind, I've even found that some of them
    look as though they are being damaged by some black rings I combined with them.

Thanks
    Sue

The best things to use for maille are pure metals. Sterling or Argentium silver, copper, brass or bronze for budget pieces, stainless steel (provided you've got strong hands).

Any plated materials will eventually chip and wear, which makes using them in such labour intensive pieces a bit of a waste. If you've got a problem with rings touching and causing tarnish are they perhaps made from aluminium (they'll be very lightweight if so) which unfortunately discolours very very easily. It's not the easiest metal to clean, especially if it's anodised as the cleaning process can also remove the colour.
    george
    www.mizgeorge.co.uk
    www.etsy.com/shop/mizgeorge
    www.flickr.com/mizgeorge

Comment

Thanks George.
      I'll bear in mind what you saiad about the anodised aluminium, I've had somebody trying to sell me some as non-tarnishing!

Comment

Working...
      X