Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you register a company and how much does it cost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you register a company and how much does it cost?

Some of you may have seen from a previous post that ive picked a name but have seen someone else trading as a very simular name on facebook excatly the same as mine althought i have the word stationery on the end of mine....Ive looked on company house and it appear (althought website was so confusing i could be wrong :S) that there isnt a company resitered in the name that i want....so i was thinking maybe i should register my name before i find out its taken by someone else, but i have no idea about how to go about it. Do i need to info tax man before i do this. I havent actually sold anything yet and i know you have to contact them within the first 3months of trading but would they need to know if i registered my company. Also how much does this kind of thing cost? Would it be easier to copyright the name i have chosen (i dont have a clue how to do this either)

Long and short is i really dont want to loose my name as i have paid and ordered buisness stationery and started spreading the word of this name?

Please can someone advise??

Nikki
    Nikita-Maries Hand-Made Cards and Stationery

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...48997155136152

http://nikita-marie-crafts.blogspot.com/

Hi not sure but i think only limited companies and actually register with companies house because you have to submit audited accounts and you only need them audited if you are a limited company. course if that is what you want to be then I suggest you register with them. If on the other hand you want to be a sole trader for a bit then there is no need to register at all (except with mr tax man). I appreciate you want to protect your name but to be honest i dont think you can.... even registered with companies house.

On programes like Rogue Traders they always clarify which firm they are after and say that nothing reflects on any other firms with the same name. so not really sure.

sorry not much help I'm afraid.
    Handmade jewellery, to buy gifts or just to treat yourself visit my website, commissions welcome or join me on facebook for a chat

Comment

it only costs about £20 and you do it via Company's House BUT you dont need to register if you're a Sole Trader. You do need to register if you're a limited company or partnership but unless you're going to be earning mega bucks I was advised being anything but a Sole Trader. Even if you're a partnership, I was recommended of becoming a limited liability partnership as it means the tax side of things is a lot less complicated/ expensive but you have the same benefits.
      So upshot is, if you're a sole trader, I wouldnt bother registering. With regards to name, as long as you're not using a big name (i.e. someone with lawyers who can afford to try and get you to change it) and as long as you're not using a similar name to an existing & similar company in your area - call your company what you want!
      Sx
      Precious(has the biggest web-presence ever- check out all my links I have more than they will allow in a sig!!)
      Precious Creations website
      Precious Creations facebook page
      Artisan Website design at low cost! and my personal website (same link)
      My twitter: @precioustweetie (from there you can link to my blog Preciousbuzz provided by blogspot!)

Comment

Hi. I agree with above.

My name is the name of a song and is also a company in South Africa, but we are not the same and if you google Eiledon jewellery you find me straight away and if not, you get to look at the other Eiledons too.

Put it this way, someone could be looking for the other company, come across you and look at your site as well so could be in your favour!

http://eiledon.co.uk
        http://eiledon.co.uk

http://eiledonworkingfromhome.blogspot.com

Comment

I wouldn't worry too much about the name of your company. There is a company with the same name as mine but as we do different things, there is little confusion. There are not that many companies who will have sole ownership of a name - certainly not of the size most of us on here are.

Most of the web business you get is likely to come from direct marketing you do with your cards, literature and interraction with the public so they are likely to have your web address to find you directly. Don't lose any sleep and get too caught up (and certainly don't spend unnecessary money) over this - there will be plenty of things to do to get your business up and running and as Eiledon says, you may get some business from people looking for other similarly named companies too!!

Get the web address you would like secured and you will have nothing to worry about. As long as you are not trying to trick customers into thinking you are associated with a larger, more established business by using a play on their name, all will be fine.

Good luck with your business.
          Last edited by AliCat; 19-09-2010, 09:01 PM.
          Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
          Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
          Follow me on Twitter:
          @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

By the way the law has change you have to tell the tax man from the first day of trading, no more 3 months to do this, I got this information from my local enterprise center which helps people to start up the business, check out the HM Revenue website.

Hope this helps Anna
            www.roselockdesigns.com

Comment

Hi there, I registered as a sole trader almost 5yrs ago now. All I did was go to the local tax office and fill in some forms-I didn't have to pay anything.
              Sort yourself out a business bank account, but hunt around-some banks charge more fees than others!
              If you are a member of The Federation of Small Businesses, you can get free banking with the co-op as well as a host of other perks!
              If you can do your accounts yourself-do- accountancy bills take alot out of your income!!
              Best piece of advice, have separate envelopes for each month-put your receipts in and it makes it easier when it comes to your accounts!
              Visit Business Link-they are a fountain of knowledge-I'm sure there is one in every area!!
              Good luck.
              Carrie.
              www.catseyecarving.co.uk
              Carrie Horwood (no relation to any of the celebrities or the Cheltenham LibDem MP!!!!)
              www.catseyecarving.co.uk
              www.facebook.com/pages/cats-eye-carving
              email:[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Nikki2010 View Post
                Some of you may have seen from a previous post that ive picked a name but have seen someone else trading as a very simular name on facebook excatly the same as mine althought i have the word stationery on the end of mine....Ive looked on company house and it appear (althought website was so confusing i could be wrong :S) that there isnt a company resitered in the name that i want....so i was thinking maybe i should register my name before i find out its taken by someone else, but i have no idea about how to go about it. Do i need to info tax man before i do this. I havent actually sold anything yet and i know you have to contact them within the first 3months of trading but would they need to know if i registered my company. Also how much does this kind of thing cost? Would it be easier to copyright the name i have chosen (i dont have a clue how to do this either)

Long and short is i really dont want to loose my name as i have paid and ordered buisness stationery and started spreading the word of this name?

Please can someone advise??

Nikki
                Registering a company has become a must these days, it has some benefits by doing so. It helps to have legal hold on the company, it allows us to have our own website. So it is better to hire company registering service provider and make it much simpler. There are people who charge very reasonably.

Register A Company

Comment

Working...
                X