Has anyone heard of Efax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone heard of Efax?

I received an e-mail today from Efax telling me that I have a fax. Trouble is the document is a doc.zip attachment and although I have scanned it and my checker says there's no viruses, I'm still loathe to open it because looking on Google there are loads of complaints about this website. It seems they are guilty of "phishing" and just help themselves to your money!

Thought I'd leave it well alone - if someone is trying to fax me and I don't respond they'll get in touch some other way I hope. What do you think, have you had any dealings with this company?
    www.formerglory.co.uk- www.seatweaving.blogspot.com - Facebook page - Twitter

I had an efax number for years - I used it frequently when I was working as I worked from home and was often out and about and I could receive faxes no matter where I was. I had to upgrade to the paid version due to the number of faxes I was receiving but before then I had a free number.

I have no complaints about them at all - I still have a free efax number but to be honest I never use it as I no longer deal with people who need to send me faxes.

However, if you don't have an efax number, I don't know why you would be getting a message from them saying you have a fax (they would only send you the fax e-mail if someone faxed to your own personal efax number). The messages I received would have a subject line of 'eFax message from xxxxx - x Page(s)' and the attachment was a .efx (but I think this was an option I chose when I signed up so you could have attachments of different types).

If you don't have an eFax number and aren't expecting a fax, I would assume that it is a potential ****. I never had any issues with Phishing or them taking my money - infact when I cancelled my service, they refunded the money I had paid for a new year as I missed the date of being able to stop it beforehand. I would say better safe than sorry if you are not sure.
    Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
    Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
    Follow me on Twitter:
    @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

Just to follow up and say thank you Ali. Because you had said that your messages from efax always told you you had a message from xxxx and my message didn't give that info, I didn't download or open the attachment then did a proper virus scan of the .zip file online. Surprise, surprise it had an uncleanable virus attached.

So watch out everyone, if you get a similar message DON'T OPEN IT!!

Thanks again Ali, you saved my laptop.
      www.formerglory.co.uk- www.seatweaving.blogspot.com - Facebook page - Twitter

Comment

Phew - close call!! Glad I could help.
        Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
        Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
        Follow me on Twitter:
        @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

Working...
        X