Do you like what you make?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you like what you make?

I know that's a bit of an odd question, but it's been on my mind for a while now. I'm thinking particulalry about cards, but it really applies to everything. What I mean is, I love making cards, and I love the cards I make- I would buy them. Whilst I can truly appreciate the skill and expertise that goes into cards made with all the bits you can buy for making them (stamps, brads, toppers etc) they just don't do it for me aesthetically and I would never buy one personally. I really, really don't mean any disrespect to anyone at all, I was just feeling that mine were a bit inferior and then realised that perhaps it's all about personal taste. So, do you make what you like or what sells?
    Ballderdash & Bunting
    Twitter (Ballderdash & Bunting)
    [B]The Ark Man
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]I am Ballderdash, the blog[COLOR=#0000CD]

I make what I like and would happily keep eveything I make.
    I though the other day if I gave everything up Id have to keep everything I had made.It made me quite happy to think I could wear all my jewellery.
    https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

Cards, jewellery, etc are such personal things that it would be mad to think that everyone would like the same style, colours, materials. Some of the cards that I make I am consciously making for other tastes as opposed to my own. I make loads of cards that I would buy, but it would not make good business sense to not have a range of styles to appeal to the widest market. That said, as far as my paintings go, I only paint my style. I never paint with anyone else in mind or even to sell. I think I create better pieces then. However, I am yet to sell a painting! Maybe I should take my own advice!
      Handmade Hannah Blog

Comment

I don't think there is any design I make that I wouldn't wear/use myself. Having said that there are some I like more than others and some colours that aren't me. My range of designs has broadened to appeal to more people and its the same with the colours. My biggest aim is to make something I'm proud of.

cj
        www.curiouscatcreative.co.uk
        Become a facebook fan
        Check out my blog

Comment

I try to lke what I make but if crafting is your full time living you cannot afford to be too self indulgent and have to make what the public want. You often have large numbers of the same thing to make and discipline yourself and enjoy the repitition.

Comment

I also make what I like but I use a lot of colours that I wouldn't wear myself. If I have a marathon making session before a sale often the last few are not quite as well thought out as the first but they usually sell the same as the others.
            Sometimes I will make something that really doesn't look right the next day but I put it out on my stall a few times and if it doesn't sell or really looks odd against the other stuff I will take it apart and re-use the beads. I usually try to match the colours as best I can so even if the design is not so good at least it looks ok.

Melanie

Comment

I have to be happy with the end results of each thing I make (if I wasn't happy with it in terms of quality, I couldn't/wouldn't in all conscience offer it to anyone else) but its not always to my personal taste, so I guess I don't necessarily like each piece... but that said, I would be happy to receive any of my own products.

In fact I have received a card that I made...it was weird to open it and realise... I had made a set of cards in a handmade gift box for a customer who gave it as a gift last Xmas. The recipient is someone I know and she sent one of the cards to me

I had a discussion a while back on a similarly related topic...would you make something for a customer if you really hated their design request?

Comment

Originally posted by Christa View Post
                I have to be happy with the end results of each thing I make (if I wasn't happy with it in terms of quality, I couldn't/wouldn't in all conscience offer it to anyone else) but its not always to my personal taste, so I guess I don't necessarily like each piece... but that said, I would be happy to receive any of my own products.

In fact I have received a card that I made...it was weird to open it and realise... I had made a set of cards in a handmade gift box for a customer who gave it as a gift last Xmas. The recipient is someone I know and she sent one of the cards to me

I had a discussion a while back on a similarly related topic...would you make something for a customer if you really hated their design request?
                Mmm, interesting. I guess that's easy with cards, as I just don't so what I don't like, so I wouldn't be asked to do it. With cakes, I'd make what the customer wanted (there's one on my FB page I really don't like) and I would enjoy doing it but I'd have to be happy that people knew that wasn't all I did if you see what I mean.

I struggle when it's not something I'd do for myself because my arty-self wants everything to 'look right' and sometimes it's hard with other people's ideas. There's always a degree of flexibility though and with cakes, unless they have a picture of what they want, it's not too hard to put your own spin on the design.
                Ballderdash & Bunting
                Twitter (Ballderdash & Bunting)
                [B]The Ark Man
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS]I am Ballderdash, the blog[COLOR=#0000CD]

Comment

I love everything i make, and im very reluctant to give things away!! I always think the things i make as gifts are much better than the things i make for my self

Comment

As a wood crafter there are certain things I couldn't bring myself to make even if there was a market and if I didn't enjoy making them I couldn't put my heart and soul into it. They that we all sink to our level but there are certain depths I couldn't sink to.

Comment

I can't say I do all the time. As Wood-u-like says, you have to make what the customer wants and sometimes as in doing crochet hooks it can be very repetitive. On another angle, I have things that I have made that I really don't like because they simply aren't as good as I would wish. If someone else likes them that's fine but the more you craft, the higher your standards and expectations of yourself get IME

pete
                      "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
                      Facebook

Website

Comment

I make jewellery, but would happily keep everything I make.
                        Whatever craft you do, I think to put your heart into it, you have to love it and chances are if you love it, so will someone else!

http://eiledon.co.uk
                        http://eiledon.co.uk

http://eiledonworkingfromhome.blogspot.com

Comment

Everything I make is crafted with a lot of thought and care, results are a surprise at times, I'm inspired by other artisans techniques or those that I have learnt from books or natural development of being 'at one' with whatever I'm doing. Quite often I don't have a particular design in mind, then it just 'happens'. I do like everything I make, perhaps some styles more than others. I couldn't give anything to anybody else if I didn't like it - it would be 'back to the drawing board' I'm afraid.
                          Charters
                          http://charterscharm.blogspot.com/last updated 28th Mar '11

Comment

I like everything I make, I get really attached to some pieces and don't want to let them go, then when they don't sell I get annoyed because I know they are extra special,,split personality I think
                            www.prettyful.co.uk
                            http://www.folksy.com/shops/Prettyful
                            http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pretty...8929784?v=wall

Audrey Xx

Comment

I think I do! I only choose fabrics I like so I guess the final design is always what I want, even if I have had to change it. I have found that now some of my old stock I really don't like though, but I think that is because I can see where I have improved - some of my first bags were dreadful!
                              Commissions that I've made are not always what I would wear but I do like the final outcome, as I always feel like I have achieved something. I do have to make more things that other people like though, as I realise not everybody has my taste. But then isn't that what's good about handmade as everybody has a different style which always reflects in their designs?
                              Your cards are fab by the way xx
                              Dee x
                              Visit ZukieStyle for Handmade Fashion & Pet Accessories
                              Follow ZukieStyle for all the latest designs Facebook & Twitter
                              Read ZukieStyle's Blog Or Visit Us On Etsy!

Comment

Working...
                              X