• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • muffin789
    500+ Crafters Club
    • Jun 2010

How organised are you?

I've mentioned in a few threads that I'm going into handmade full-time in a few weeks () , and to help keep me focussed, my spare room will be converted into a bit of a workroom .

I'm a bit of a hoarder (total understatement!), and know I need to change that or I'll end up in a real pickle. So I'm going to sort out some decent storage etc. My question is, how best to organise the stuff I have?!

I'm a beader, and have been for the best part of 20 years; I am also quite magpie-like and very attracted to sparkly things, so you can imagine the quantity and variety of different beads there are all over my house! I HAVE to sort them out, as I need to know what I have in order to stock-take for my accounts, and because I don't want to keep buying the same things because I can't find the ones that ended up down the back of the sofa, or aren't where I thought they were.

One of my relatives has suggested that I catalogue everything, with either a bead or two (or an inch of cord/wire/ribbon or whatever) included as an sample, or a photo. I cold then sort the beads by colour (perhaps!), put them into containers, number the containers and then add the numbers to the catalogue, so I can go straight to whatever it is I'm looking for. That will be an IMMENSE task (not that I won't enjoy it, or have the time, as I only have 13 working days left in the "real world").

Have any of you gone down this route before? And how did you find the whole process? Do any of you have any secret little tips that might stop me making any silly mistakes??!! Or did you try something similar and find it a waste of time?

I'm really interested to hear your thoughts, as ever!

Thank you

Sarah

Sarah Gail Designs
    Sarah Gail Designs on Facebook
    Crafty Cat Events
    Crafty Cat Events on Facebook
  • jencel
    Mega Crafter
    • May 2009

Haha, lol. Sorry, that was my first thought when I read the title of your post. I'm in the bead world too, and I know that they just don't behave themselves.

But seriously, your relatives idea sounds a good one, if you can keep it up to date as you get new stuff. I think it depends partly on whether you're a naturally organised person or not. If not, I wonder if a good way to keep track of things is to make yourself have a clear out regularly, say once a month?
    Celia
    I can't be creative and tidy too
    www.jencel.co.uk for beads, findings and threads
    The Occasional Sheffield Bead Shop
    Jencel on Facebook

Comment

• ejralph
      Super Big Crafter
      • Nov 2006

Presumably if you are going it full time, you will be putting all this beady stock into your business anyway - so you might as well catalogue/organise it and "value" it at the same time really.

Good luck - both with the business and with the sorting everything out!

Emma
      Emma
      www.ejrbeads.co.uk - unique art beads & more
      www.ejrbeads.co.uk/shop - beads, polymer clay, glitters and inks oh my
      www.facebook.com/EJRBeads - Like me at Facebook!

Comment

• AliCat
        Super mega big crafter
        • Jul 2009

I don't use beads so don't have any particular pearls (pardon the pun!) of wisdom regarding organising them but I definitely think it is worthwhile starting off with a good system - after all, once you get going you are likely to have more selections/colours/styles so it would take tons longer to do it at a later stage.

I keep a good stock check of finished designs ready for sale as well as all the bottles of paints I have so that I don't find myself in the situation of needing to fulfil a customer order and finding that I have run out of the colour needed. It took some time to set up and I am a bit rubbish at keeping it up to date but it is well worth the time it takes to bring up to date every month or so.

You might find some good ideas on the Crafty Storage blog which shows craft rooms and storage ideas - many from the US and the craft rooms are likely to make you cry with envy but it is worth battling through the pain!

Good luck with your new venture and wishing you lots of success in the future.
        Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
        Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
        Follow me on Twitter:
        @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

• muffin789
          500+ Crafters Club
          • Jun 2010

Originally posted by ejralph View Post
          Presumably if you are going it full time, you will be putting all this beady stock into your business anyway - so you might as well catalogue/organise it and "value" it at the same time really.

Good luck - both with the business and with the sorting everything out!

Emma
          Thanks Emma.

The stuff I have will be going into the business, so I do need to account for it, a nd yes my thinking is to have a sort-out and catalogue everything ready to go into whatever form of storage I end up getting (am going to scrutinise this in a couple of weeks; not everyone's cup of tea, and if it's not good quality I won't bother).

I love some of those workrooms on the Crafty Storage blog, Ali. I'm now sitting here thinking my own little room is going to be a bit of an "ugly sister" in comparison (it'll be fine, actually!). Some good ideas there, though; it'll be more time with the tape measure for me this weekend!!

Thanks all!

Sarah Gail Designs
          Crafty Cat Events

Comment

• cuttingcreations
            100+ crafts club
            • Oct 2008

All I can say is GOOD LUCK I have been beading now for 2 years and my OH kindly donated his little computer room to me *he thought it would make the dining room tidier but instead it's in another room. HA HA
            That storage thing is fab if you don't decide on this Ikea have some little tin storage drawers which look alright but I suppose it depends what your after
            Website
            WWW.CUTTINGCREATIONS.CO.UK

Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cuttin...979559?ref=sgm

Comment

• AliCat
              Super mega big crafter
              • Jul 2009

I know what you mean - I love looking at the Crafty Storage blog but it does want to make me cry when I see what some lucky people have to work in and then go into my small room (still I guess I am lucky to have that).

Have fun designing your own version....

Ali x
              Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
              Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
              Follow me on Twitter:
              @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

• Christa
                Mega Crafter
                • Aug 2010

I am a papercrafter but I have gazillions of non paper things (pretties and bling) too of course and I use open shelves with a variety of clear glass and plastic jars and stacking containers in a variety of sizes. I label them but if my labelling gets lax I can see at a glance what's in them.

When you finally get yours organised please post pics so I can steal your organised storage ideas

Comment

• removed10
                  Banned
                  Super mega humungous crafter with too much time on their hands and chats too much!
                  • Jan 2009

Heavens to Betsy, I cannot imagine organizing or cataloging beads! Best of luck with that!!

My husband started a craft "shed" for me three years ago - got the foundation/floor done and that was that. but this summer he and our son worked on it like crazy and even enlarged it. The exterior is almost complete - just have to do the trim! But then I have this depressing feeling that the inside will take a year or so...but we'll see.

So regarding storage - personally, I like to be able to see what's in a box on the shelf. Or know form the label just what's in it. Also, keep certain things close to hand like a box with scissors/knives...a box of glues and tapes...etc., i.e., things you need frequently. Get a good daylight lamp. Have a trash can right by you... not much help, sorry. Off to look at this place Ali mentioned...

Comment

• AnnieAnna
                    Super mega big crafter
                    • Nov 2008

I love Really Useful Boxes. Basically, small see through boxes with clip on lids that stack in an almost clicky way.
                    My most used boxes have worked their way to the top of my towers. When I want one that's lower down the boxes just get shifted onto the stack to the left or right.

Disasterous things I've tried are:
                    stacking open boxes - stuff spills and gets dirty.
                    Boxes with lots of see through pull out drawers in them - lots of spills.
                    Tool boxes with lots of compartments and see through lids - if the lid isn't a tight fit all the beads swap places.
                    Glass jars with screw on lids - pretty - but what a mess when they fall off the shelf and break.

Comment

• Aviya Glass
                      Super Big Crafter
                      • Jun 2008

I love the thought of being organised and spend a lot of time thinking about getting organised but it is still a work in progress! I have however made huge steps forward lately. Over the years I have bought many organisers and many are going to go on Ebay because they don't suit. I went to Ikea and bought some flat pack (who would have thought!) boxes for 65p each and have covered them in sticky back paper to make them pretty. I am in the process of packing and labelling them.
                      Rather embarrassingly in my tidy up I have come across so many duplicates. Things I could not find so bought another one. I mean how many hole punches, rolls of sticky tape or glue sticks does one person need? One Ikea A4 box full apparently!

Lessons learned - Don't stack things too high because getting to the things you need at the bottom (and they are usually at the bottom) is a nuisance which causes untidyiness (and mild rage) when things fall, break or spill.
                      Rather have narrower shelves but more of them.
                      Round containers with handles – urgh! I bought 2 from Hobby Craft with 3 revolving tiers but you can’t stack anything on top of them and round takes up a lot of space.
                      Linbins are super - I use toaster racks for whole pieces of glass but once cut several open linbins to chuck pieces in is proving very convenient.
                      I have a general bin and a separate bin with the shredder on so that I can shred and bin paper easily for recycling.

So far painting equipment and glass work items are now organized and filing is partially up to date, I have yet to rethink my bead storage as I have several boxes with compartments which are stored by type but perhaps I should store them by colour instead.
                      HTH All the best with creating a system that works best for you!
                      Terry xxx
                      You can't have everything. Where would you put it all?" - Steven Wright
                      Website Twitter Facebook Blog Folksy

Comment

• Emmalou
                        500+ Crafters Club
                        • May 2008

I def think cataloging it is the way to go. Just make sure that once a month or whenever you feel necessary you force yourself to update it. I know a lot of people don't like the shop but I luuuurve it and think that some bookcase/shelve unit type things would work well lined up against the wall to hold your boxes and folders,books,catalogues etc
                        My Blog
                        Twitter
                        Facebook

Comment

• muffin789
                          500+ Crafters Club
                          • Jun 2010

Thank you all for sharing your experiences!!

AnnieAnna, I will certainly bear your comments re glass jars in mind, especially as I am quite clumsy and have two roaming indoor moggies who are bound to see any additional storage I put in "their" room as a personal jungle gym

The feeling I get from all your responses is that this is definitely going to be a challenge! I have to agree. But it will be worth it, and by the looks of things I'll have a whole month to do it in, as my redundancy payment won't come through till the end of Oct at the earliest. I think that may actually be a really good thing in that I will have lots of time to get things DONE rather than spending money!

I'm thinking I may start a blog somewhere about my experiences, seeing as I'm still in the early days and it could turn into a bit of an adventure, so there will no doubt be piccies and stuff along the way - I'll post the odd update as and when anything interesting happens!

In the meantime, thanks again for our comments, and keep them coming!!

Sarah

Sarah Gail Designs
                          Crafty Cat Events

Comment

• Emmalou
                            500+ Crafters Club
                            • May 2008

oh and plenty light including those bendy lamps that way you can direct the light where you want it
                            My Blog
                            Twitter
                            Facebook

Comment

• MornieG Jewellery
                              Try and catch up with this one.. What a crafter!!!
                              • Feb 2010

Reading this has really made me want to get more organised. The space is small but the stock of stones and lampwork is huge. Love the craft storage blog, not jealous.....much biggest peoblem is the receipts for the tax man due very soon so forced to sort. On leave next week so no excuse not to have a sort out and tidy up.

When I uded to do a lot of sewing and you collect random lengths of fabric I used to always catalogue it as soon as I got it home. Length, width, cost and take a little snippet and clip it to a card index with all the deatils. Filed it all by type and colour and so easy to see what you have in stock and then take the card with you when you shop for accessories, linings, co-ordinating materials etc.

Mo.XX
                              Mo. Bodrighy Wood.
                              Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage..Lao Tzu.
                              www.bodrighy.co.uk
                              https://twitter.com/#!/AuntieMornie

Comment

Working...
                              X