Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you manage your crafts and your full time job...???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you manage your crafts and your full time job...???

I am finding this a bit of a struggle at the moment.

I'm not saying that my mosaics are flying out the door (nooo, last time I did I got jinx and made no sales for weeks!!!), but have received a few commissions recently and what with trying to get these done and sent, managing my ebay sales, doing my tax returns, householf duties and working full time, I must admit I am getting a bit stressed!

How does everyone else manage (of not?).
    Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

I know what you mean, I work during the day too so have to dedicate my evenings and one day of the weekend to the craft business. It has been manic lately with sales plus am going on holiday next week, but I just list everything I have to do and work my way through it and try not to get stressed about it otherwise I start making mistakes. Have just sat down and written down the orders taken in the last two days and have 4 lots of bunting to get done, a dog kennel sign, 6 childrens name plaques, 3 childrens picture display hangers and some name blocks .... guess I will be up VERY early tomorrow morning and VERY late tomorrow night to make sure they are done!! Can't complain though, the money has come in very handy for our holiday!!! The good things is I still enjoy doing them, would be awful if I no longer enjoyed it and it had just become a way of making extra money. Luckily just me and hubby, no kids, so house doesn't get too bad, just lots of creative clutter!!
    Jo x

For handcrafted wooden gifts and decorations please visit http://www.sommerwood.co.uk

Comment

i think if you're going to work 2 jobs then you just have to accept that with 'real life' on top you're going to be VERY busy! i work full time as a graphic designer, my commute is a 70-mile round trip, then in the evenings i work on my business, as well as weekends. when you're doing everything yourself - manufacturing, photography and website/promotion as well (including trips out to shops/galleries/shows) it's no wonder we're all stressed out and overworked! you're not alone!

if you do feel you need time out, don't have a nervous breakdown - take some time off to clear your head and recover a bit. you're not a machine!
      Steph http://www.handmadeheaven.biz
      Contemporary, fun, funky fused glass gifts, art and jewellery

BLOG: http://glassygoodies.blogspot.com The life, times, work and waffle of a fused glass artist...

Comment

I would really like to reduce my hours at work, to say 4 days a week, giving me that extra day to focus on crafts. But at the moment, the sales I make fund new materials and designs. Someone told me it can take a few years before you actually start profiting enough from crafts to actually see a difference (i.e. extra money in the bank). Yes I do do mine for the love of it but it would be great if I could make it work as a business venture.

We have been talking about having a garage built at the side of our house. It would then double up as my workshop and my BFs. That would be really great, as I completely undertsand what you mean by 'creative clutter' Sommerwood!!! A lot of my friend's mega tidy and clean houses, if they come to mind its a mind field of mosaics! Would be nice to have a workshop, so I could shut the door and not worry about tidying everything away, to only unpack it all to start again the next day!!!
        Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

I work full time..with my own business. I can't imagine being able to do it if I was still working full time for someone else too. I admire you. Though to tell you the truth I work harder and longer hours than I ever did in my last job now and it's seven days a week.
          I am taking a few days off at the end of the month to go to Rome with my OH and a couple of friends. It's only five days but I have been planning what is going to happen whilst I am away for weeks. Preparing messages for the website. Planning stock to cover all orders up to the day we leaving.. etc etc. It's only five days not five months but all I need is one bad experience for a customer and I have lost loads of potential sales. My customers talk alot in forums!!! Thankfully all good things so far (I hope!)!!
          Anice xx
          Funkyhand x
          my website
          http://www.funkyhand.com
          my blog (updated 09/06/10)
          http://funkyhand.blogspot.com/
          Follow me on Twitter
          http://twitter.com/funkyhand

Comment

And I just thought it was me not being able to manage my time!
            I have a very demanding day job but luckily I can switch off when I get home (I can't really but have to make myself do it otherwise I'll crack up)
            plus 2 kids under 4 and a husband who is self employed and runs the business from home....... so I know what you mean!

I think its a case of some days are good and others not so good but at the end of the day, there are only so many hours in a day and there is no point running yourself ragged (I know as just getting over tonsillitus and also a nasty eye infection as I'm run down with trying to do too much).

Sommerwood - don't worry about my order!! I'm in no huge rush as can't find the time to go and see the new baby!

The stress and adrenalin is what keeps us going so long may it continue!!

Comment

Sommerwood - don't worry about my order!! I'm in no huge rush as can't find the time to go and see the new baby!

Don't worry yours is done!! Finished painting yours on Friday but just need to string it together this afternoon when I have finished painting everything else. WIll e-mail you a photo either later today or in the morning
              Jo x

For handcrafted wooden gifts and decorations please visit http://www.sommerwood.co.uk

Comment

Has anyone managed to reduce their hours at work, to concentrate on their crafts? I would like to but need to get to the point where my income from crafts compensates say one day a week at work? How long did it take you to get to that point (can you tell I'm just a wee bit impatient!?)
                Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

It might be worth checking out the actual figures for working four days - I do four days and take home almost as much as if I did five days, so I don't have to cut down on spending quite as severely as might be thought.

Mind you - it doesn't mean I have any extra time for crafts or my therapy business and I'm not really sure where that day goes to!

Comment

I don't have a full-time paid job, but have two little ones, who keep me very busy, especially since the two year old is with me all week at the moment and I don't have family locally who can help out.

At the moment I feel tired and busy and sometimes guilty that I'm not spending as much time with them as I have done, but I still enjoy what I'm doing. It will get easier for me when dd goes to playgroup in September, I have so many ideas and no time to do them.
                    Amanda
                    xx

Comment

Originally posted by craftdancer View Post
                      It might be worth checking out the actual figures for working four days - I do four days and take home almost as much as if I did five days, so I don't have to cut down on spending quite as severely as might be thought.
                      Do you mean because of the tax - i.e. a lot more gets paid to the tax man when you work 5 days, as appose to 4?
                      Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by Sommerwood View Post
                        Don't worry yours is done!! Finished painting yours on Friday but just need to string it together this afternoon when I have finished painting everything else. WIll e-mail you a photo either later today or in the morning
                        I can't wait to see it!!!
                        I think I'm more excited about seeing the bunting than about the very long awaited bundle of joy!

Comment

With 4 Kids and trying to get a new business off the ground I decided something had to go - the kids or the job! Although a close call the job went, it was only 12 hours a week so it gave me a little extra time in the evenings and now I'm sooooo glad I did it.

Sarah x

www.chocolateuphoria.co.uk
                          Sarah xx

visit my website www.chocolateuphoria.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by katian_krafts View Post
                            Has anyone managed to reduce their hours at work, to concentrate on their crafts? I would like to but need to get to the point where my income from crafts compensates say one day a week at work? How long did it take you to get to that point (can you tell I'm just a wee bit impatient!?)
                            Till a couple of months ago i had two jobs. I gave one up where i could do anything from 10-15 hours a week at. So now i just do the ice cream, the idea was to concentrate on the jewellery, but it's going quite slowly as the parlour is just sooo busy and to be honest i'm in no rush, i love my better quality of life now, long doggie walks by the sea etc etc.In theory i'm only earning half what i was, but i'm really no worse off.I really think it's about what you want from life.What is your job?If you are able to work overtime, have you thought about doing a few months of extra employed work to get your outgoings down (you know like any loans etc youre pying each month)Then when you've got youre monthly outgoings to the minimum you think they can be, you will be able to do less employed work then more time for the mosaics!!The other thing to remember is that if you are working one day less a week, you will have more time to put into promoting your mosaics and that in itself should give you more business???That's just my thoughts anyway.....
                            http://icecreambird.blogspot.com/

Comment

I work as a careers advisor. A number of people at my work work 3/4 days a week, to work around their other commitments, or because they don't need to work full time.

I think we could afford for me to reduce my hours BUT my BF and I own a house and share all the bills. He hates his job and has to work full time, plus is attending college every Sat and 2 evenings a week, so I would feel a bit bad suggesting I cut down my hours, when at the moment I have it a lot better than him.

Although if you look at it another way, I am working full time plus spending evenings and weekends doing my crafts, which is a full time job in itself!!! But then you could say my crafts are my hobby!? Ow, my head hurts!!
                              Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

Working...
                              X