OMG Jewellery party panic!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG Jewellery party panic!!!

I thought I'd be brave and put out some leaflets at local fairs re jewellery parties. I'm quite a shy person (yes really) but people seem to suggest they can work well so thought I should give it a try.

I've just had a call from a pub landlady who is asking if I will hold one in her pub. Of course I said yes, but now I'm in total panic! There could be loads of people (or none at all) how am I going to entertain them!!

My house party ideas were to do a brief explaination about how I make the items, then explain how people can choose from different bails, chains and fasteners etc. I know Hil's (lilac moon) mentioned a raffle in a previous thread- which I thought may work, but other than that I'm not sure. I just don't want to be sat in a pub with people looking at me expecting something entertaining!!! HELP!

cj
    www.curiouscatcreative.co.uk
    Become a facebook fan
    Check out my blog

I'm just starting doing jewellery parties and although I haven't done any yet, I've been researching things about jewellery parties CONSTANTLY because I too am a shy person.

What I've been looking at are party games, there is a thread in this forum with loads of party games but go on to partyplan.co.uk and go on to party games and there are hundreds of games on there. You could always ask the lady what she expects from you, explain to her that you're willing to take any suggestions to make it all the more enjoyable for her and her guests!..

I hope it all goes well for you! Let me know!
    Claire xx

Comment

Thanks Claire! I'll definately check out the website for suggestions. Hope you do well with yours too

cj
      Become a facebook fan
      Check out my blog

Comment

Well done CJ

I'm sure you will be fine and its brill having it in a pub, think of all the drunk ladies with the hubbies wallet

I think the best bet is to ask the landlady what she thinks, it may just be a case of setting up and being there to answer questions about your jewellery, I doubt she is expecting something like an Ann Summers party due to the nature of the product.

I shall put my thinking cap on for you though and see what I can dredge from the particles that are supposed to be my brain
        I Love Handcrafted

Handmade Marketplace for the UK - Coming Soon

Join us on Facebook! I love Handcrafted

Comment

Thanks Nicole! I've got a couple of weeks and she wants a poster too, so I may go over and hand deliver the poster so I can have a look around and chat to her a bit more. Good idea to see what she's expecting

cj
          Become a facebook fan
          Check out my blog

Comment

I was in a huge panic when I did my Handbag and Jewellery Party. I am really shy as well, and my mum and cousin invited most of the people so I didn't know many people. I just did a little talk about myself, what I do, how I got into it etc etc. Then I said what kinds of bags I can make, and how people could make custom orders and such. I told them what were one of a kind, and what ones could be replicated if they liked. I also took photos of previous things that I have sold incase they liked them.

After that I found that everyone sort of went off and looked by themselves, tried things on, asked each other their opinions etc. I didn't have to do much talking because everyone was asking me things and trying things out. So I don't think you should worry too much.

I didn't have any games, or anything at mine, but that was because it was quite late and people were tavelling a distance to come to mine. You're in a pub so maybe you need to do some kind of game or raffle as people said...

I really hope it goes well for you!!

Comment

Thanks, I remember yours went really well. I'm just a bit more nervous about the pub setting!

cj
              Become a facebook fan
              Check out my blog

Comment

Hi there,

I have done beading for a few years now and previously run a pub and a nightclub. From what I know of the fraternity of pub goers, they love something they can get involved in. I don't know what the method of payment was but I assume you are earning some cash from the evening and can therefore invest a bit. What I would do to start the night off is get in some really chunky acyrlic beads and place them on a couple of tables with some stretch elastic and invite them all to choose the beads and make a bracelet. The first thing you can then teach is how to double knot the bracelet to stop it coming undone. Hey presto, you have thier attention and they have a goodie they have made themselves. I would also invest in some small acrylic beads and illusion thread and crimps and then you can show them how they can choose colours to make their own illusion necklace, helping them out and showing them how to attach the clasp. If you want to get really flash with them and cut the budget even further, you can show them how to make thier own hook clasp by bending some s/p wire.

I reckon you would then have entertained them, given them some freebies for the evening, impressed the landlady and if you get 5 or loads you will be working one on one for part of the time, so the pressure is not always on you to be 'on stage' so to speak.

Just my little suggestion, I hope it helps and well done to you for going and getting it! Top gal.

Comment

I just did my first jewellery party last week. I'm a shy person too and just told them I wasn't going to do a big speech but any questions I'd be happy to answer! It went well, they all kept themselves amused chatting whilst browsing and making up their own Pandora style bracelets, so I didn't have to do any proper selling thank goodness!
                  Jane
                  http://www.pirate-treasures.com
                  http://www.facebook.com/PirateTreasuresJewellery
                  http://www.folksy.com/shops/PirateTreasuresJewellery
                  http://www.pirate-treasures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi Indivijewelistic Some fab idea's there and thanks for sharing. I'm doing more of a sales party rather than a 'doing' party and could just do with a few games or idea's as backup if needed as I don't do beaded jewellery. I'll definately let you know how it goes

Thanks Jane too, I think thats what I'll end up doing. I'm also hoping I may be able to get a few friends in the pub for moral support too!!

cj
                    Become a facebook fan
                    Check out my blog

Comment

I've been pondering the world of jewellery parties too so I'd love to hear how yours goes! Best of luck with it!
                      Depending on what kind of jewellery you make, you could have a 'bespoke area' so you could get people to pick out some simple elements and you could then make them into something for them there and then!

Comment

Originally posted by PurplePixie View Post
                        I've been pondering the world of jewellery parties too so I'd love to hear how yours goes! Best of luck with it!
                        Depending on what kind of jewellery you make, you could have a 'bespoke area' so you could get people to pick out some simple elements and you could then make them into something for them there and then!
                        Yes I'm definately going to do that. I do it at fairs too so I'm used to changing chains and making things up while they wait

cj
                        Become a facebook fan
                        Check out my blog

Comment

If you wanted you could make up a small free quiz ( 15 or 20 questions) about leather, gemstones or jewellery, with maybe a few questions about what is on your table. ie; how many different shapes or colours you sell or what your web address is. Just print them up on an A4 and put one sheet and a pen on each table. That way they fill them in at the table, come over to your stall to find the answers about your stuff- put those questions near the top - so they will be looking at all the stuff on your table, and then again when they bring them up for marking. As people come in if there isn't a sheet you can go over and give them one or make sure that there is a replacement on empty tables. Get them to fill out their name, address and tel number and give either a gift voucher as a prize or a choice of say 4 things.

Melanie

Melanie
                          silvermaid
                          Last edited by silvermaid; 06-07-2010, 11:33 PM.

Comment

Thats a really good suggestion Melanie thanks

cj
                            Become a facebook fan
                            Check out my blog

Comment

I thought I'd update you on how this went.....

I was really nervous, so I called in to see the Landlady a week or so before and took her a poster too. We agreed that I could set up shop on the pool table, to save time setting up tables. I have to say I was so spoilt with such a big area to fill! I could really spread out

I'd done quite alot of 13 hour days in the run up to the party as I had no idea if it would be good or bad. But either way I got lots of new peices made up.

It was a bit quieter than I'd hoped for, but I had a number of people, who'd bought off me before, buying new items. That was really good for me, as I have a confidence problem and worry people won't like things when they get them home!!

Whilst I didn't sell out, I did take a good amount that certainly made it worthwhile and I also have a couple of orders to fulfil too. Best of all, they want me to go back later in the year in the lead up to Christmas. So all in all a pretty successful night! Thank you all for your help and suggestions

cj
                              Become a facebook fan
                              Check out my blog

Comment

Working...
                              X