Farmers Market

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farmers Market

I've seen a number of members make reference to Farmers Markets that they attend. I had assumed (obviously incorrectly) that these markets were purely for farmers to sell their food produce direct to the public.

I was wondering how many attend these markets and do you seem to get a good response from them in terms of revenue / future business?
    Caroline

You don't need talent to be artistic you just need patience!

www.potterdoodledoo.co.uk

Farmers markets are only as good as the people who run them!
    The ethos behind them is that all produce should be made by the vendor. That means that in theory a farmer has to have raised the cow to slaughter or grown the veg or made the cheese or baked the cake etc.
    As much as possible ingredients wise should be sourced as locally as possible. Therefore strawberyy jam made with imported french strawbs wouldn't be encouraged.
    There is an acreditation process that official markets undergo and all stall holders have to have insurance.
    There are however, some markets calling themselves farmers markets that do not maintain these standards. I gave up going to another local farmers market because the management was very lax and allowed alsorts on so it became a street market rather than a farmers market.
    The market I go to is in my village every month. Jan and feb are cold wet and slow months but your customers expect to see you there so you turn up!
    The rest of the year is up and down but I always have plenty of clients and the banter between stall holders (all regulars) is excellent. We look after each others stalls from time to time. I have to say that at first i thought the market policy was stupid and rather ott. But I fully embrace it now.
    I get two or three people every month ringing me up because they saw me or there frind saw me at the FM.
    The best way to find out about them is to go and look around and get chatting to the stall holders.
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

I go to a farmers market near us and it is excellent but they only allow homegrown/homemade food produce although they do have one card stall that is run for Guide Dogs for the Blind. It is always heaving and we get loads of food from there - yum yum!
      Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
      My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
      My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Comment

I do a few farmers markets and i love them and i do very well from them

I Love My Computer Because My Friends Live In It

Comment

The farmers market where I live is very poor. I wasn't impressed and have no interest in making a return visit when I'm next that end of town doing my lunchtime browse.
          View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

Thanks for all your comments. I decided to email the organiser and check out if my products are suitable first of all ... will take it from there depending upon reply. However, from the comment made by beadsbydesign regarding items having to be sourced locally, I'm not sure if mine would be suitable as the clay that I use is actually imported from Italy or USA despite that all of the products I sell at craft fairs etc are made locally in my workshop. Anyway, we'll see what response I get from them.
            Caroline

Comment

Originally posted by Potter Doodle Doo View Post
              Thanks for all your comments. I decided to email the organiser and check out if my products are suitable first of all ... will take it from there depending upon reply. However, from the comment made by beadsbydesign regarding items having to be sourced locally, I'm not sure if mine would be suitable as the clay that I use is actually imported from Italy or USA despite that all of the products I sell at craft fairs etc are made locally in my workshop. Anyway, we'll see what response I get from them.
              My comment about sourcing locally refers to products that are available locally. You would not be able to source your clay locally unless there was a clay pit locally. You have created your pots yourself though so I don't see why it's different from me importing my beads from all over the world. Strawberries on the other hand can be got all over the uk!!
              good luck with your applictation. If you don't get in first time try an appeal... I had to appeal to start with I was turned down!
              full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Originally posted by beadsbydesign View Post
                Strawberries on the other hand can be got all over the uk!!
                good luck with your applictation. If you don't get in first time try an appeal... I had to appeal to start with I was turned down!
                I adore strawberries ... maybe I should grow them instead of crafting ... actually no, there wouldn't be any left to sell lol.

Thanks for the advice on the appeal, I'll let you know what happens.
                Caroline

Comment

Working...
                X