Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Photographing crafts

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Photographing crafts

    Has anyone got any tips on how to photograph to show a craft of to it's best potential? I always take pictures of my mirrors in daylight and am quite pleased with the pictures I have, but they still do not show the colours as they really are. I have a photo package and I use the enhance which brightens then a little.

    I don't mean that I want to buy a new camera or anything, just looking for simple ideas.

    My friend bought a light box recently to use when photographing her jewellery and that seems to have done a good job. Does anyone else use this or have any other techniques? Thanks!

    Katian Mosaics

    ♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

    My Facebook Page

  • #2
    What sort of camera are you using? A film one or digital? If its good ole film, get a 400 speed one and use flash. If you can angle the flash to just above the item then great, but if not, put a peice of greaseproof paper over the flash so its sort of diffused flash and not too harsh (i understand that stockings do the same thing hahaha!!) The best colour film I've found for punchy colours is Kodak.

    Let me know if this helps - if not I'll try and think of something else. I also do photography (well, did all my own black & white developing and printing before I had the two breadsnatchers and got into card / topper making!)

    I go on holiday tommorow for just over a week and won't have t'internet access during the time (how will I cope? ) so if I don't post a reply - you know why!!

    Comment


    • #3
      I am using a digital camera as it makes it easier - I can instantly load them onto the PC and edit them. Its quite a new camera - Casio Exilim???
      Katian Mosaics

      ♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

      My Facebook Page

      Comment


      • #4
        I bought a light box with big daylight lamps off ebay to photograph my jewellery and it's made SUCH a difference to how they look.

        It depends on how serious you are in selling online, because it is quite an investment, but mine has paid for itself.

        Don't forget that if it's for posting on t'internet, colours are never true anyway because of people's monitor settings.

        WITHOUT :



        WITH

        Blog Website Flickr

        Comment


        • #5
          Wow that makes such a difference!!!
          Katian Mosaics

          ♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

          My Facebook Page

          Comment


          • #6
            It is worth thinking about if, as I say, you're wanting to have an internet presence.

            I also found it helps my camera when I'm using the mega-macro when I want to get in really tight on a pendant and have the rest of the necklace out of focus. My camera can't do that if there's not enough light.
            Blog Website Flickr

            Comment


            • #7
              I use a daylight bulb in my lamp by my sewing machine... not only does it help with pics it also helps my eyes when i'm working at night.

              I still need to take the pictures on a bright day though, then have the daylight bulb directly over the item for added brightness.

              Jellybelly ... that is a hugh difference! do they make them big enough for items like mine? (t-shirts/cushions etc) or just jewellery?
              Last edited by incywincy; 17-05-2007, 09:46 PM.
              incywincystitches.com - Fabric buttons, button supplies and handmade accessories
              ___

              Comment


              • #8
                ha ya

                i use my mobile phone camera (nokia7390) then i uploded to my pc & edit it with photoshop . iv ediet your work photo but couldont post her cuz ( the 25 roul ) so i will tray to post them later after riching the 25 post.

                have a nice time all of u
                proud mum 0f 8 years girl ..3 boys and wife for kind lovley corgi man. .

                Comment


                • #9
                  They do all sorts of sizes and accessories.

                  I've got one of these- but I bought it off ebay on an auction for a lot less :

                  http://www.ezcube.co.uk/

                  The "With" photo I've posted below was taken in one of the pop-up tents and two of the lights.

                  I think it's brilliant, but it aint cheap!

                  I've found their is a difference even between daylight bulbs (I have one by my sewing machine because the bulb's gone in the machine and I haven't got round to replacing it) and the proper job lamps.
                  Blog Website Flickr

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I bought a light box for my jewellery pictures, but one it's too big for what I wanted. I only got that size as it came as part of a light package. Now, as I photograph all my jewellery flat, I just use plain white paper and 2 semi professional studio lights. I'm really happy with my results.

                    Bluemama - the one I got is nearly a meter cubed, and I think you get a size up from that.

                    Carol
                    Sparklez.co.uk
                    Handmade Jewellery

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I use a light tent with proper lighting and as the others have said it DOES make such a difference. It doesn't have to sot the earth either, just make sure you are using daylight bulbs and that shoudl get you a true colour. Other than that, photographing outdoors on an overcast day is probable the best photography conditions for shiny objects like yours.
                      Lucinda x

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by jellybelly*jellybrain View Post
                        They do all sorts of sizes and accessories.

                        I've got one of these- but I bought it off ebay on an auction for a lot less :

                        http://www.ezcube.co.uk/

                        The "With" photo I've posted below was taken in one of the pop-up tents and two of the lights.

                        I think it's brilliant, but it aint cheap!

                        I've found their is a difference even between daylight bulbs (I have one by my sewing machine because the bulb's gone in the machine and I haven't got round to replacing it) and the proper job lamps.
                        wow... might have to earn a bit more before investing in one of those!
                        (sorry KK am taking over your thread here! )
                        incywincystitches.com - Fabric buttons, button supplies and handmade accessories
                        ___

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by mrs_crochet View Post
                          ha ya

                          i use my mobile phone camera (nokia7390) then i uploded to my pc & edit it with photoshop . iv ediet your work photo but couldont post her cuz ( the 25 roul ) so i will tray to post them later after riching the 25 post.

                          have a nice time all of u
                          I use photoshop if they need more brightness or to crop, but I don't like messing around with them too much as I want them to look real on my website.
                          I had someone say the fabrics were different from my ebay pics (ages ago), but they were the same fabrics? it was just the darkness of the photo!
                          Have added to my website now that fabrics may vary slightly in colour to those seen on screen.
                          incywincystitches.com - Fabric buttons, button supplies and handmade accessories
                          ___

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by blueamema View Post
                            I use photoshop if they need more brightness or to crop, but I don't like messing around with them too much as I want them to look real on my website.
                            I had someone say the fabrics were different from my ebay pics (ages ago), but they were the same fabrics? it was just the darkness of the photo!
                            Have added to my website now that fabrics may vary slightly in colour to those seen on screen.
                            i agree i do the same +add your logo and name at the backe graound so no body take your work photos and use it as ther (cop right )we call it weatrmark n the photoshop..
                            proud mum 0f 8 years girl ..3 boys and wife for kind lovley corgi man. .

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I have lots of problems with this too and I've found a tutorial about how to make your own lightbox using household items. I haven't made one but it might be a good idea to try this out before you spend lots of money on an expensive light box!
                              http://www.makezine.com/blog/archive...light_box.html
                              Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
                              My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
                              My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com


                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X