I'm so excited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm so excited

sad I know, but I ordered lots of nice beading goodies from a website in America, and I'm really excited and can't wait for them to arrive!!

Was only supposed to order a few bits and pieces to try them out, but I saw beads I'd never seen before and got a bit carried away, and with the exchange rate being what it is, who can blame me. (I got 32 inch strands of glass pearls for under $2)

I'm so excited, I'm gonna be checking for the postie every day, even though I know it'll take at least a week!

Anyway just thought I'd share

Carol

P.S. Anyone else use sites in the states and do you have to pay extra tax when it comes through customs?
    Sparklez.co.uk
    Handmade Jewellery

You sound just like me ... I nip to Tesco for a pint of milk and come out after spending £30 !

I get all excited when I purchase items over the net, especially from overseas. I'm like a kid on Christmas Day when it arrives.

I've ordered lots of things from the US over the years and to date (touch wood) have never paid any importation taxes. I have had some very nice suppliers though who send it through as a 'gift' rather than 'commerical / business' so I think that helps.
    Caroline

You don't need talent to be artistic you just need patience!

www.potterdoodledoo.co.uk

Comment

I've ordered a few things from the US and only twice got stung for customs. I think if you keep your orders down they can sneak through but be prepared for a big customs bill stuck on, just in case.
      Helen

www.littlesnuggler.co.uk
      Total warmth and comfort for your baby and toddler up to 3 years

Comment

Originally posted by littlesnuggler View Post
        be prepared for a big customs bill stuck on, just in case.
        Ok, how big is big? does it go on a percentage?

Thanks
        Carol
        Sparklez.co.uk
        Handmade Jewellery

Comment

More often than not you will have to pay VAT on the parcel before they'll hand it over, your lucky if you don't pay importation tax. I ordered goods worth $250 and had to pay £40 in charges and VAT (no income tax).
          Emma
          Luxury craft supplies & magnolia Stamps - Sassy Crafts
          Sassy Crafts Blog
          My Blog

Comment

Oh well, guess I'll just need to wait and see. I'll just have to work any charges into the cost for any jewellery I make from the beads, same as I would if I was buying locally. Seeing as I saved soo much on the beads it shouldn't be to hard.

Not only was everything cheaper, the more items you bought the bigger the discount you got, and I saved nearly $150!!

thanks for your replies

Carol
            Sparklez.co.uk
            Handmade Jewellery

Comment

I buy a lot from other countries, I have never had to pay import tax, but I have had to pay customs pretty much all the time.

The rules are I believe that you will be charged VAT if the package is worth more than £18 (obviously that means you can get more from the US at the moment with the exchange rate) or £30 if something is a gift. You will also be charged a handling fee from whoever delivers the package, anything from £4.50 for Royal Mail to nearly £15 for some of the couriers, like UPS or Fed Ex.
              Lucinda x

Comment

US & UK charges

Hi Carol,

Let me know when they arrive what charge you get, I've been looking at crafty things myself but I'm worried about the charges when ordering from the US

Sam
                jasmines-cards.co.uk
                Crafts ~ Scrapbooking ~ Weddings

Comment

Hi Samm,

No Problem, will do.

Purplerhain,

Thanks, worked out roughly what charge I should get and I still think I'm going to have saved money.

Thanks guys
                  Carol
                  Sparklez.co.uk
                  Handmade Jewellery

Comment

Yeah - that's the thing, isn't it?! Even when you add all the charges on top, it's still often cheaper to buy from the US!
                    Lucinda x

Comment

Have you the website address Sparklez

Comment

Originally posted by Solitaire View Post
                        Have you the website address Sparklez
                        PM'd you.

Carol
                        Sparklez.co.uk
                        Handmade Jewellery

Comment

Royal mail has just recently put the handling fee up too £8.00, though even with that I still think it can be cheaper to order from the US.

Francesca
                          www.silverthistlebeads.com

Over 389 watch faces at any one time and a large selection of bali beads, Swarovski slider spacers and crystals etc.

Comment

Well, I'm all excited all over again!!

My goodies arrived today and I think I've died and gone to bead heaven! I can't believe how much I got for what I paid, and they put in some freebies to say thank you. Best of all I didn't have to pay anything extra when they were delivered. I'm going to a busy girl, just need to remember what I was going to do with them all!

Carol
                            Sparklez.co.uk
                            Handmade Jewellery

Comment

Just for you to keep in mind....I order all my supplies from 2 sites in the States and a couple of times, not with every order, I've ended up with an invoice from FedEx about 2 weeks after delivery. The last bill I had was £35 and that was on an order of around $300.

Still works out far cheaper than most UK suppliers though.
                              www.fitforaprincess.co.im

Comment

Working...
                              X