Esty Ebay bad for crafts ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Esty Ebay bad for crafts ?

Was talking to some crafters yesterday who used to have stuff on esty and on ebay but found it really wasn't worth it..

Why ..

The sales were low for them and people had stolen the ideas/designs and out priced them..

This was just a random person I meet so it was just the word on the street..

Anyone else seen this sort of thing happen.. ?

I know for the fact that the traffic is massive on esty but is very likely to be 90%+ crafters not buyers..

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
    (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

I don't use e bay - I maybe a bit of a snob but I don't want to put my stuff on beside a whole load of dross - huge amounts of traffic but how many are willing to buy when as you say the ripe off merchants copy, use crap materials and beat us to the price.

It might just be me and loads of people may do very well on e-bay but I would be interesting to know?

Lisa
    Bowed Over
    Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
    www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

I set up an etsy shop a while ago but have had no sales though it. I hadn't thought about people stealing my ideas but now you've mentioned that I must admit I am concerned. When I first started I had an email from somebady saying they liked my mosaics and wanted to know how I made them so they could do it. Obv. I didn't tell them but instead replied saying that my mosaics are original to me and are my own ideas and designs, so wasn't prepared to give away my secrets.

Re: Ebay. I have only just started selling on their and do find I get a lot less than I want for my mosaics. At the moment it is a way of getting some money back to buy more materials. if craft fairs take off for me over the summer though and Ebay sales are still low, I will have to review it.
      Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by katian_krafts View Post
        IRe: Ebay. I have only just started selling on their and do find I get a lot less than I want for my mosaics. At the moment it is a way of getting some money back to buy more materials. if craft fairs take off for me over the summer though and Ebay sales are still low, I will have to review it.
        I don't know how much e-bay's cut is but why not think about using money that you would be giving to e-bay and pay for on line advertising. You can opt for as little as £30 a month (£1 a day) and at least you are getting your name out there.

Only a thought.

All the best.

Lisa
        Bowed Over
        www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Seen quite a few sigs that had esty on before and don't now..

hmmmm

Plus been looking in the forum and seen a few posts about unhappy people.. Almost all are deleted of course..

I bet if you sign up and say someone copied me your post will get zapped..

Comment

I dont sell on ebay but i do buy a few bits and bods off there. But i must say i do look at what others make and get ideals from there. The only site i sell on is craft jumble and then is mostly die cuts and there 10 a penny to get. Most of the craft fayres i have done i have had a lot of card makers look at my cards and i know there only looking so they can copy some of them so i dont think it matters where you sell you will always get someone copying. Maybe just not as many from the craft fayres as ebay

I Love My Computer Because My Friends Live In It

Comment

It's interesting! I've never used etsy but have an ebay shop.

I originally found it to be a good way of getting pictures of my stuff on the web until my OH manages to finish my web site! I think the only things that sell (at least in my experience) are the auction items as people use ebay for bargains not full price, high quality goods. I think the cut they take makes it kinda pointless too so i stopped bothering!
              Beyond Beads
              Handmade Beaded Jewellery for all occasions

[email protected]

www.beyondbeads.co.uk
              www.myspace.com/beyondbeads

Comment

Originally posted by candles by lisa View Post
                I don't know how much e-bay's cut is but why not think about using money that you would be giving to e-bay and pay for on line advertising. You can opt for as little as £30 a month (£1 a day) and at least you are getting your name out there.
                Where do you advertise? I thought about magazines but they tend to be craft supplies rather than handmade crafts.
                Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

eBay

I'd never heard of etsy until I was browsing the forum last night so can't comment on that one.

I've sold bits on eBay, but it seems that everyone is wanting a bargain and unless they can get it for the minimum bid then they're not interested. I've found that it's very much a seasonal thing with eBay (or at least with my products). One week I can sell everything I put on there, and others I may sell one or two items if I'm lucky. However, as I'm new to selling public rather than at my events, I think that it's a good way of getting people to notice you. I've had quite a bit of repeat business through customers who have purchased from eBay and then come direct to me for additional items.
                  Caroline

You don't need talent to be artistic you just need patience!

www.potterdoodledoo.co.uk

Comment

Where do you advertise? I thought about magazines but they tend to be craft supplies rather than handmade crafts.
                    Adwords, directories.. £30 a month can go a long way to kick starting your sales.

Of course you need a website first not like esty..

Comment

I really like Etsy - it's such a good place to see and buy original things. Of course people are going to look at your ideas - it's part and parcel of advertising your stuff. Just don't let on how you make things! I look around etsy for gift ideas for others - as I do on this forum too. The fees on etsy are good too. There is so much tat on ebay that the good quality stuff doesn't shine through whereas on Etsy it is all handcrafted stuff so you at least know it's not going to be imported rubbish.
                      Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
                      My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
                      My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Comment

Originally posted by swirlyarts View Post
                        I really like Etsy - it's such a good place to see and buy original things.
                        I do agree with that - I have bought a few things from Etsy and all have been lovely and very original.
                        Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said the traffic was mostly crafters. I don't reckon etsy for that reason, plus even I couldn't find my store without putting in a request in triplicate!

Comment

It depends I rotate between Google (adwords), Yahoo and MSN as they all allow you to set up a budget of how much you are willing to spend and you also have the flexibility of pausing your ad which means you don't get charged. I have done that just now because I am absolutely prated! Word of warning though watch out for when their months run because even if you are only live for 1 day in a month you will get charged for the full month. Make sure if you want to pause your campaign you do it a day or so before the cut off.

Until you get your site up and running why not try local newspapers for advertising. They are not as expensive as the big boys and are obviously targeted at people in your area so you may get business from that.

Sorry to waffle on (I know I tend to do that).

Good Luck

Lisa

Bowed Over
                            www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by candles by lisa View Post
                              Word of warning though watch out for when their months run because even if you are only live for 1 day in a month you will get charged for the full month. Make sure if you want to pause your campaign you do it a day or so before the cut off.
                              That's yahoo .. minium spend @ yahoo is £20 a month.. I set a new account last month and couldn't make it close to £20 after 20 days into the month (was about £2) so I added another 10 sites and its got to £19.20 ..

Adwords is completely different...

Comment

Working...
                              X