Another claim to fame!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another claim to fame!

For those that don't know me that well yet........I started researching my glass craft 3 yrs ago and then embarked on a some tuition and that was it.....My kiln is a yr old now and my little business is thriving.

I wanted to give inspiration and hope to others starting out....there's times when you want to pull your hair out and give it all up but try, try and try again and sometimes things just click together all of a sudden!

Still a baby in the glass field but im making my mark now.

This last mth ive been interviewed by Pure cheshire magazine and they have done a 2 page article on me..issue june/july.....it was like OK magazine here taking photos...lol

I also have a 5wk gallery exhibition of my work in August in Manchester.

And a lovely glass store in Manch [next to raymond blancs restaurant]and Chester now sell my work among my admired and well known glass designers...Im there first unknown! They have never taken anyone unless they have name before...work selling well and there taking commissions too!

Lots of other stuff happening which I wont bore you with, but I just wanted to say to anyone finding it a little difficult making your mark...stick with it and be positive and get out there and email/talk/phone to anyone you think can help in your field of work.

Better go now.....................tea to dish out - yeah, still the family to feed!!

xx
    Debbie
    www.thesilverzebra.co.uk

Contemporary glass fusion designs - sculptures - wall panels - functional items - outdoor sculptures. We also run Silver & Glass workshops here in Cheshire - kiln space also offered.

Cool - it's nice to hear positive experiences. Well done
    Visit my Etsy store http://swirlyarts.etsy.com
    My daily thoughts! http://swirlyarts.blogspot.com
    My blog of cute stuff http://cuteable.com

Comment

Excellent Well done you! You should be very proud .... thanks for the positive pep talk, PMA goes along way. We're still pretty new so it's great to think people do make it
      eat, sleep, breathe, STITCH!
      www.buttonberry.com
      www.buttonberry.co.uk

Blog-tastic
      buttonberry.typepad.com

Comment

That all sounds fantastic! A real inspiration
        Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

Well done Debbie. It's nice to hear a positive story - sometimes I just get discouraged and think about giving up, but then you hear a positive story and the old optimism comes shuffling back! Mind, I've looked at your web site before, and it sure is beautiful stuff. Glad it's going well for you.
          Mary
          www.somata.co.uk
          www.stitchnglass.co.uk
          www.gemstoneboutique.co.uk
          www.somata-pmc.co.uk

Comment

Hi Debbie, congratulations for your article and wow a gallery for 5 weeks, thats amazing. I go shopping to Chester (though not as often anymore) so next time i'm there i shall have a look at your work.

Hope you continue to go from strength to strength.
            Emma
            Luxury craft supplies & magnolia Stamps - Sassy Crafts
            Sassy Crafts Blog
            My Blog

Comment

Well done Debbie, it is good to hear of someone 'crafty' doing so well.

I had a gallery contact me last year and ask to take some of my work on sale or return for a 3 month christmas exhibition. I visited the exhibition when it first started (not near to home) and was taken aback by just how much of a mark up they had put on eveything. Therefore didnt expect to sell anything and they wiped me out!! I sent them about 90 pieces of work and they returned 3.

I think when people see things in gallery's they are willing to pay a little more as it is classed (in their minds) as art rather than craft.

Excuse the rambling and good luck!!
              - A whole world of fluffy stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by swirlyarts View Post
                Cool - it's nice to hear positive experiences. Well done
                Thank you - here's to positive experiences for us all
                Debbie
                www.thesilverzebra.co.uk

Contemporary glass fusion designs - sculptures - wall panels - functional items - outdoor sculptures. We also run Silver & Glass workshops here in Cheshire - kiln space also offered.

Comment

Originally posted by Buttonberry View Post
                  Excellent Well done you! You should be very proud .... thanks for the positive pep talk, PMA goes along way. We're still pretty new so it's great to think people do make it
                  PMA does go along away.....I have learnt that as well as being an artist/crafter you have to be good in business too....sell-sell-sell lol

Good luck to you too
                  Debbie
                  www.thesilverzebra.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Mary View Post
                    Well done Debbie. It's nice to hear a positive story - sometimes I just get discouraged and think about giving up, but then you hear a positive story and the old optimism comes shuffling back! Mind, I've looked at your web site before, and it sure is beautiful stuff. Glad it's going well for you.
                    Glad you like my work No, never give up - change things that are not working but don't give up.

Positive vibes too you
                    Debbie
                    www.thesilverzebra.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by EMEvans View Post
                      Hi Debbie, congratulations for your article and wow a gallery for 5 weeks, thats amazing. I go shopping to Chester (though not as often anymore) so next time i'm there i shall have a look at your work.

Hope you continue to go from strength to strength.
                      Thank you ...I hope it goes from strength to strength too There nice at Chester and they have some fantastic glass. All my glass designers I aspire too
                      5 wks worth of work to do too though! gulp
                      Debbie
                      www.thesilverzebra.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by the felt fairy View Post
                        Well done Debbie, it is good to hear of someone 'crafty' doing so well.

I had a gallery contact me last year and ask to take some of my work on sale or return for a 3 month christmas exhibition. I visited the exhibition when it first started (not near to home) and was taken aback by just how much of a mark up they had put on eveything. Therefore didnt expect to sell anything and they wiped me out!! I sent them about 90 pieces of work and they returned 3.

I think when people see things in gallery's they are willing to pay a little more as it is classed (in their minds) as art rather than craft.

Excuse the rambling and good luck!!
                        I can see why they wiped you out - your work is lovely as well as unique and its better to have % of something rather than % nothing....I agree on prices - they do command more but then that means I get more too ...there still saying to put my prices up but im not comfortable with that yet...maybe in the next order.

Are you going to do more work for galleries?
                        Debbie
                        www.thesilverzebra.co.uk

Comment

Are you going to do more work for galleries?
                          I'd certainly love to but I have never 'sought' any work in that way. It's just my hobby to make things. One of the gallery's employees found my web site and got in touch with me. I do the odd craft fairy at Christmas but that's my limit.
                          - A whole world of fluffy stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by the felt fairy View Post
                            I'd certainly love to but I have never 'sought' any work in that way. It's just my hobby to make things. One of the gallery's employees found my web site and got in touch with me. I do the odd craft fairy at Christmas but that's my limit.
                            Showing my age here! and I can only JUST remember...but your blue fairy reminds me of the kiddies programme...CRYSTAL TIPS AND ALISTAIR? I think it was called?

Debbie
                            www.thesilverzebra.co.uk

Comment

well done debs so proud it's all going so well for you, especially after your previous job's strange ending! your stuff has come on in leaps and bounds and i'm enjoying seeing your style develop and strengthen big kisses, steph xx
                              Steph http://www.handmadeheaven.biz
                              Contemporary, fun, funky fused glass gifts, art and jewellery

BLOG: http://glassygoodies.blogspot.com The life, times, work and waffle of a fused glass artist...

Comment

Working...
                              X