exhibitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exhibitors

just had a bit of a sharp email from someone who attended our last fair, didnt do very well etc. As this was this persons 2nd fair, I have come to the conclusion that some peeps expect to sell out every time. Had one that on her form said one thing and came with something completely different, as she couldnt get what she said she was selling in the car!!! and when I asked what she thought she was doing, said well it didnt matter and what was I making a fuss about. If the organiser does their very very best with advertising etc, and you do have peeps through the door what else can an organiser do.

In this economic climate not a lot. we have done other peeps fairs that have been crowded and sold not enough to cover the stand fee. After well over 30 years in the craft scene I have learnt to take the fairs as they come, some are good some not so.

So please spare a thought for the organisers that do work their socks off trying to make things work against what seems to be all the odds.

jenn

ooh those emails are a bit mean I would never dream of blaming an organiser for my lack of sales. I think if you book a table/stand you have as much a responsibility for your own marketing of the event as the organiser. Obviously I would be a bit miffed if they had not done any marketing but I think on the day it is down to your own organisation and you do have to chalk some events down to experience. Having said that I always enjoy my fairs whether I sell a lot or not because I always end up making contacts through the other stall holders. Sorry am waffling now!

Comment

Unfortunately, this is a fact of life - some people will blame everyone else for their shortcomings. Sadly as the organiser of a fair, you can be an easy target!

With craft fairs or any other events involving the general public, there are no guarantees. An organiser's job is to find a good, accessible venue with parking facilities, put together a good mix of crafts - ensuring that it is clear if the stalls will also contain bought-in 'gifts' or totally handmade 'crafts' and stick to their decision religiously, advertise the fair in as many places as possible to give maximum exposure and get as many people through the door as they can!

Once the show is open, apart from dealing with any problems or hiccups which may occur, the rest is down to the stallholder. If the visitors are there but you don't sell anything, that is your fault, not the organiser's!

Sadly, you cannot please all the people all the time - I have been to some two-day shows where stallholders have packed up and gone home at the end of the first day because they haven't sold enough (!!!!!) and you know that they will be telling everyone who asks that the show was not very good! This happened just a couple of weeks ago and whilst our sales on Saturday were down on the year before, the Sunday was UNBELIEVABLE! Despite horrendous weather, there were crowds and our final sales were way up on last year for the whole weekend! The stallholders who went home early missed out on a great day!

I know that in most circumstances, for every one unhappy stallholder/visitor, there are many more who are really pleased with their experiences/sales but such is human nature - we are more likely to make contact with a complaint than with praise (something I am guilty of too, but I plan to start letting organiser's know when they do a good job too!)

Don't be disheartened - some people are just never happy unless they are complaining about something!
      Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
      Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
      Follow me on Twitter:
      @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

Originally posted by AliCat View Post

Once the show is open, apart from dealing with any problems or hiccups which may occur, the rest is down to the stallholder. If the visitors are there but you don't sell anything, that is your fault, not the organiser's!

Sadly, you cannot please all the people all the time - I have been to some two-day shows where stallholders have packed up and gone home at the end of the first day because they haven't sold enough (!!!!!) and you know that they will be telling everyone who asks that the show was not very good!

Don't be disheartened - some people are just never happy unless they are complaining about something!
        So true!

If people are there and they're not buying, you have to ask yourself why. If you analyse it carefully, you may learn from it.

I almost always do better on Sundays - my products generally appeal more to families with children, and there seem to be more of them about on a Sunday. So a poor Saturday doesn't always mean anything!
        digital stamps for cardmakers: http://www.handmadeharbour.co.uk
        blog: http://handmadeharbour.blogspot.com
        hand painted personalised plaques, clocks, canvases, etc: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk
        blog: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk/blog

Comment

Thanks for your replies, I appreciate that the organiser is a fair target and its easy to apportioin blame. Not disheartened far from it after having a break of many years organising ,through my daughters being involved in being self employed craft workers I have started organising again. Have quite a few booked already for next year will post them when I get round to it after christmas prob

jenn

Comment

Glad to hear that you aren't letting this person get to you!

Where are your fairs, Jenn?
            Ali x

Etsy Shop: aliscraftstudio.etsy.com
            Facebook: AlisCraftStudio
            Follow me on Twitter:
            @AlisCraftStudio

Comment

at Horspath and little milton in oxfordshire, february to may at the mo and then christmas hopefully am planning one in the summer at a local animal place if I can get sorted

jenn

Comment

Working...
              X