Collaboration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collaboration

Reading through Carls 'Positive' thread and one or two others an idea that came to mind was this....Anyone on here thought seriously bout collaboration? I know it goes on a bit but with so many crafts I am sure that many of them could be brought together in unique ways. So many different skills perhaps something to think of for the new year?

For me wood goes well with the pyrography obviously but also it would go well with things like the silversmiths, jewellery, and other crafts. It happens occasionally but I wonder if it is something to pursue?

Pete
    "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
    Facebook

Website

Pete you got a crystal ball ? cos i was going to pluck up courage and ask if anyone would collaborate with me to make some wedding items.

I do jewellery and sometimes beaded flowers. This week I have taken some of my things into work, sold a few, but I was asked twice about cake toppers and bouque's (spelling not one of my strong points) one lady is thinking of a handbag with decoration or a beaded flower bouque but definitely wants something different. I did mention Paulines wedding treasures but I have no idea what else is available from other members.

Is there a list of which crafts are covered by which members? or is it worth starting some?
    Handmade jewellery, to buy gifts or just to treat yourself visit my website, commissions welcome or join me on facebook for a chat

Comment

I do wedding items, ring cushions, bridesmaid bags etc and am always willing to commission a piece, such as the bag and beaded flower you mentioned. Just give me more details and I will see if I can help.

Comment

I would love to collaborate - but not sure how to go about it! Some of your wood would (ack - bad English) be amazing in a bit of my jewellery - even if I do say so myself!

I'm currently busy doing more with clay and wire (which others are much better at, I think!) - and would really love to expand my creative horizons by working with others on here....

Gives you pause for thought, doesn't it!
        "I was inoculated, very early in life, against all forms of magic and elfin whimsy, even when convincingly disguised as literature." Clive James
        Click the scales- rep points are for life, not just for Xmas!
        http://madlyswaps.blogspot.com/

Comment

Some collaboration does happen already. For example several of ius woodies make things for pyrographers. I am doing some wooden pendants blanks for someone. What about beaded things for bags, silver embellishment on wooden and material things etc etc etc. So many of our crafts could combine to make things that are really special. I do fancy knotwork for example (like macrame only better) which would be ideal for some of the things people on here make. Leather goes with pyro work as well. A list of what crafts we do would perhaps be a good idea as so many of us do more than one but are known only for that one.

pete
          "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
          Facebook

Website

Comment

Originally posted by Lilac Moon Designs View Post
            Pete you got a crystal ball ? cos i was going to pluck up courage and ask if anyone would collaborate with me to make some wedding items.

I do jewellery and sometimes beaded flowers. This week I have taken some of my things into work, sold a few, but I was asked twice about cake toppers and bouque's (spelling not one of my strong points) one lady is thinking of a handbag with decoration or a beaded flower bouque but definitely wants something different. I did mention Paulines wedding treasures but I have no idea what else is available from other members.

Is there a list of which crafts are covered by which members? or is it worth starting some?

I make cake toppers (don't have any pics yet as still waiting for them to be forwarded to me). I also make bespoke wedding stationery. You are welcome to pass on my details - let me know and I will pm you them.
            Anita
            http://www.itsamistryjewellerydesigns.com/
            https://twitter.com/Anita_Mistry
            https://www.facebook.com/ItsamistryDesignStudio1

Comment

Originally posted by bodrighy View Post
              Reading through Carls 'Positive' thread and one or two others an idea that came to mind was this....Anyone on here thought seriously bout collaboration? I know it goes on a bit but with so many crafts I am sure that many of them could be brought together in unique ways. So many different skills perhaps something to think of for the new year?

For me wood goes well with the pyrography obviously but also it would go well with things like the silversmiths, jewellery, and other crafts. It happens occasionally but I wonder if it is something to pursue?

Pete
              Pete,
              Definately worth pursuing, I have tried to do this serveral times (on here as well,) to generate, interest,income, exposure etc with collaboration attempts - look at my past threads, despite alot of talk no one has actually done anything about it, I have arranged free events and open days and not one has come along, investigated further or even contacted me. All I wanted to do was to put to good use some business experience that I have combined with some brilliant talent and skill. I did note the other day that there is infact not many on here that actually makes a full time living out of what they do, so decide to have no collaboration aspirations,perhaps?. Anyhow I'm not intending this to be critical afterall none of you know me in person so why take the chance maybe, can understand that ??

So not taking no for an answer ,I persevered with other groups.

Much earlier today, ironically ,I have completed the new line up for 2010 and I together with two superb glass artisans are now collaborating all 3 of us working together on teaching workshops, making, designing now in silversmithing, lampworking and fused dichroic glass, all 3 actually blend very nicely. They responded to my call for collaboration and came to my open days as did over 60 other people some from 2 hrs away, this saturday see's the 4th open event, all these events were free to attend. Anyhow we have over 40 workshops organised for jan and feb. The collaboration could have been with anyone, yes Pete, I can just see a silver inlay in a harry potter style wand.

It sounds like I'm having a rant,It's not a rant but I did try.... It is about being positive, sometimes about risk and making choices otherwise life can get quite gloomy and very boring.
              I Melt Glass For a Living
              Website

Comment

I can understand both sides Carl. Until a few months a go I was a hobby turner who sold his work to sustain his addiction. Now I am dependent on earning as much as I can from my hobby whilst trying to keep my love for it. The compliments from people on this forum go a long way to help me in that. I do however think that there are areas of the craft that I cannot do adequately and would happily work with someone else . At the moment pyrographgy is one example though hopefully my wife will pick it up and we can work together. Long way to go to be as good as the ones on the forum mind. Using metal and jewellery, beads etc in my work is another area that I would love to do. I saw the bowls that Robin had which he made and someone else added silver work and whilst we are coming from different directions, he being a traditional pole turnwer and fostering the traditional methods, the idea of working with other craftsmen in that way really appeals to me.
                It's probably a bit close to Christmas to go much further with it let's get that over with but if anyone is interested I am willing to listen, talk and look into this deeper.

pete
                Facebook

Website

Comment

I absolutly adore wood in jewellery but dont think i have the skills to do it justice!

This guys stuff is so good. All handcarved. Website photos dont do them justice. I saw him at a fair.

http://www.woodlandtreasures.co.uk/index.htm
                  Handmade Embroideries and Tapestries - Greentree Crafts on Facebook Etsy Shop Instagram

Comment

I think we can all benefit with helping and assisting one another. I think the possibilities are endless with your turning Pete.
                    I Melt Glass For a Living
                    Website

Comment

Hi, I know I'm still in the early stages of developing my jewellery style but I have a hankering to combine wood turning and beading/chainmaille. So I would be up for combining skills. I had hoped my OH would try to develop his woodworking skills but I dont think thats going to happen anytime soon.
                      Cheers,

Chris

http://www.blossom-crafts.co.uk
                      http://www.wowthankyou.co.uk/blossom-crafts
                      http://www.blossomcrafts.blogspot.com

Comment

I did a collaboration with a wood turner a while ago and this was the result

http://glamglassgifts.blogspot.com/2...axx-vases.html

This tells you a bit more about it!

Rach

Facebook
                        Website
                        Blog
                        Folksy

Comment

Word of warning. There needs to be a spark? an empahthy? between the two collaborators. You can find yourself working with a bossy old cow, can't you Pete?

Seriously the two collaborations I did with Bodrighy and Scorch have elicited many compliments. I have even persuaded some customers to part with their money.
                          At the moment I'm still well stocked but I'll report back when things get low.
                          Unfortunately you'll never become millionaires with me as my stuff is so niche but we have customers stroking your work with love and passing it down as heirlooms.

Go for it peeps
                          AnnieAnna

Comment

I have really enjoyed working with Chris (Works-in-Wood) and Pete (bodrighy)... some of my most stunning designs have come from my collaborations with woodturners. I'm looking forward to completing the design that Pete and I are working on for perfectangel too.

When I was working on my book, I also did collaborations with rafflesbizarre, Seahorse, Aviya Glass and TipTop... and I'm always open to more suggestions and ideas!

Si.
                            Wood Tattoos
                            Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
                            Facebook
                            Flickr
                            Twitter

Comment

Working...
                            X