Gift Ideas - My Mum's 60th Birthday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gift Ideas - My Mum's 60th Birthday

It's my mums 60th Birthday this New Years Eve and I want to get her something very special, personal and memorable!

She loves handmade things, as do I!

I would ideally like to buy something from someone on here ideally, as then I know for sure it really is handmade and it will be good quality!

To give you an idea about her, some of the happier times in her life were when she was in New York. She also lived in Ireland when she was younger (training Race Horses) and loves the place! With this in mind these would make a good basis for a present! She already makes her own soaps so something like this wouldn't really be suitable! As any woman, she loves beautiful jewelry.

I have a budget of around £50.00

Does anyone here have anything they think may be suitable or any ideas of things they could make. Failing that just plain ideas or someone they could recommend would be good as my mind is blank!!

Many, many thanks!

Jo
    x
    www.alongcamejo.squarespace.com

I was trying really hard to think of something original and my mind also went blank.
    My own stuff, I could make a sparkly glass pendant and matching earrings in colours of your choice iro £25

Otherwise would she like a textile wall hanging made from Aran wool - don't know who does these but Aran/Irish was the link there

If I have any half decent ideas I will add them
    Terry xxx
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it all?" - Steven Wright
    Website Twitter Facebook Blog Folksy

Comment

Originally posted by Aviya Glass View Post
      I was trying really hard to think of something original and my mind also went blank.
      My own stuff, I could make a sparkly glass pendant and matching earrings in colours of your choice iro £25

Otherwise would she like a textile wall hanging made from Aran wool - don't know who does these but Aran/Irish was the link there

If I have any half decent ideas I will add them
      For a moment there i thought you said you could do the Wall Hanging for Aran wool...I was about to hug you!

Great idea though...I had thought of a wall hanging and went to look at 23 Beech Hills' website as her stuff is so beautiful but nothing there suits and I can't think of an idea to request as a custom item!!

Thank you though! Off to look at your website

Jo
      x

Comment

Oooh sorry to raise your hopes there about Aran, I will have a look and see if I can find anyone but I am sure there are some knitters and textile artists on here! Perhaps an Irish Celtic pattern?

My website is a bit lacking atm but I have loads of pretty things made that are not on there yet! Love making, loathe updating the webbie
        Terry xxx
        You can't have everything. Where would you put it all?" - Steven Wright
        Website Twitter Facebook Blog Folksy

Comment

Hi there Jo, If your Mum has any old vintage heirloom beads, charms, trinkets etc. I may be able to recreate them into a new piece of jewellery for her. I always used vintage beads in my work as I love creating something new from something old. Please have a look at my website/shop and let me know if this would be suitable......

Good luck with your gift hunting, i'm sure you'll find something fab!
          Ivory Bird Jewellery Blog
          Facebook Page
          Vintage Emporium Shop

Comment

The pyrography on here is superb, maybe your mum's interests could be incorporated onto a plaque or plate? Have you seen Simon's recent commission plate? And jewellery, well the beautiful pieces on here are gorgeous. I'm sure you'll find something special whoever you choose
            Facebook page, Cottage Charms & Cards: http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...20677888001883

Comment

Originally posted by Minky Magic View Post
              Hi there Jo, If your Mum has any old vintage heirloom beads, charms, trinkets etc. I may be able to recreate them into a new piece of jewellery for her. I always used vintage beads in my work as I love creating something new from something old. Please have a look at my website/shop and let me know if this would be suitable......

Good luck with your gift hunting, i'm sure you'll find something fab!
              She has some jewellery of my nans that was given to her when my nan passed away...it has a bit of a story to it too but I have never seen her wear it as is....I haven't seen it though so I don't how workable it is!

Trouble is I'm in London and she's in the Lakes...could ask my sister though! Good idea thank you! Let me look into it!

Jo
              x

Comment

Originally posted by nettie View Post
                The pyrography on here is superb, maybe your mum's interests could be incorporated onto a plaque or plate? Have you seen Simon's recent commission plate? And jewellery, well the beautiful pieces on here are gorgeous. I'm sure you'll find something special whoever you choose
                No I haven't...will go and look now! Thank you!!!

Jo
                x

Comment

If you want something like that there are a few of us who collaborate e.g. one makes the plate / bowl / plaque / etc and another decorates. Think outside the circle. If you can''t find something special and sutable amongst this lot you won't find it anywhere

Pete
                  "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
                  Facebook

Website

Comment

Originally posted by bodrighy View Post
                    If you can''t find something special and sutable amongst this lot you won't find it anywhere

Pete
                    I KNOW!!

An idea is forming in my head...it's just taking time!!

Her favourite place in New York was a Bar called Keens - she still talks about it now!

So I am thinking along the lines of either a silver necklace with something like if found return to Keens New York OR a wooden/glass goblet/glass (can you actually drink out of wooden goblets??) with the Keens Logo engraved on. They don't do their own merchandise so I am hoping if I emailed them and was very nice to them and explained the situation they'd be ok with using their logo in this way! (prays silently!)

Jo
                    x

Comment

If you mean drinking from wooden goblets yes as long as it's been finished properly. I make them for wedding toasts. Do we have any engravers on here for Silverware? or glass come to that, not noticed any but I am sure there are some

Pete
                      "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
                      Facebook

Website

Comment

I'm thinking of maybe something with a Celtic pattern on. Like the patterns on the dresses of the girls that do the irish dancing.
                        Like these sort of patterns
                        http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/irish-dancing-...item45ef5012a4

Melanie

Comment

Your mums 60th

I know this wouldn't do as a main gift but I have something you could give her along with her main present.
                          I have put a picure in my albums of a Laminated Poem Gift for mum you could have a look at.
                          (You could also add 'Happy 60th' etc at the end)
                          If you're interested let me know.
                          Jayne

http://www.buykeyrings1.webs.com

Poem Gifts
                          http://www.quarrygreetings.webs.com
                          http://www.quarrygreetings2.webs.com XMAS

Comment

how about a silver charm bracelet with charms of her favorite places? maybe could be made from PMC and do the Keens thing?
                            www.rocksforfrocks.co.uk
                            http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rocks-For-Frocks/230802980887

Comment

Originally posted by bodrighy View Post
                              I make them for wedding toasts.
                              Pete
                              I know, I've seen them and they are beautiful!! Do you do then with out the rings over the base and do you do Pyroprahy too Pete or would i have to ask someone else for that? Also do you only do them in pairs?

I was think of a goblet with the Keens logo on (providing they tell me it's ok) their logo is here http://www.keens.com/

If yes to any of the above please could you PM with a quote?

I will try and find someone whow does silver engraving too in the meantime!

Many thanks!

Jo

Comment

Working...
                              X