Should I change my craft name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I change my craft name?

I have been thinking whether I should change my craft name to something with 'Mosaic' in, as I wondered if this would improve the chances of my website coming up if somebody was looking for mosaics? I'm not very knowledgable about how the internet works, but if someone typed in mosaic, does it search based on the name of the site or would it also go by the contents. Any thoughts on this, experiences and / or advice?
    Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Im no expert but my general understanding is that its best to have the name like 'mosaic' in the title, then when people are searching it will immediately seek that word and display the link.

Once I saw a truck which had a persons name and number on it but no clue as to what job they did!
    https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

I agree - it's best to be obvious.
      Mel
      Try a new way every day and work becomes play!

Comment

More 'findable' ?

Have just doen a yahoo search for mosaics - by the time I got to website listing number 330 and mine still hadn't come up I gave up! Apart from changing ymname, are there any other ways or making your website come out nearer the top of a search?
        Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4205

Mr media recently posted this useful reading on the subject.
          full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Thanks, must have missed this post !
            Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

Eh up!

Getting your website up in thesearch engines is not easy. Ask Mr Media, that's his business.

It is not just one thing that helps, there are lots of ittle things, they are cumulative, you have to keep chipping away at them all. It's takes time and is never ending.

Search engines look for many different things to rank websites.

Here are some that I know of:

1. Website name.
              2. Your meta data (description and keywords that you put at the top of your html code).
              3. Links into your site from other sites (the more you ahve the better).
              4. Updated content.
              5. Keywords within your html text on your webpages.
              6. Image names, I think via your 'alt' tags.

There are loads more. I am trying to work my way through them. Just doing a bit at a time. Little steps.

I think one of the important things is to try and get your site a bit different than the big boys. For example there is no way you will beat Argos or DFS in the ranking for a keyword like sofa. But if you were making pink sofas then you would make sure your keywords etc... are all based upon pink sofas. If then someone is looking for a pink sofa and searches under pink sofa you will get much higher and target a likely customer better.

Hope that silly example makes sense. The idea is that it is better to be number one ranking on a specific narrow search than number 864th on a general search.

As you may see it's a minefield but you can improve things by doing a bit at a time and keeping at it. That's what I understand anyhoo, and that's what I am working on myself.

Hope that helps.

Steve
              Handmade woodcrafts - relaunching soon.
              www.kipperworkshops.com[COLOR=Blue]
              Best range of wooden craft shapes and cutouts.[SIZE=2]

Comment

Having said that having the word mosaic in your title wont necessarily mean it will be top of the google search. Candles by Lisa obviously has the name in it but after 400 I got fed up looking. I have today joined Ad words so you could have a look at doing that. I was on Yahoo but I have given the ad a rest for a month or so and switched to Google to compare. It is definately worth advertising. I have a teeny tiny budget but as long as you are getting your name out there people will remember it.

Hope this helps.

Lisa

Bowed Over
                Handmade Dog Collar Accessories
                www.bowedover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Seahorse View Post
                  Once I saw a truck which had a persons name and number on it but no clue as to what job they did!
                  You remember when our clothes had our names in? In case we got lost? Well, it could have been the truck's name, in case the driver lost it.

Comment

Originally posted by peter View Post
                    You remember when our clothes had our names in? In case we got lost? Well, it could have been the truck's name, in case the driver lost it.
                    LOL!! Cant beleive I didnt realise!!
                    Strangely the truck also had 2 oversized mittens on elastic running through both side front windows!
                    https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

Another thing that makes a difference apparently, is not just having good keywords, but having good keyword density (I have just recently learned this from another forum!). This means that if you expect to be searched for by customers putting in say 'woolly mittens' into Google, then you should have the words 'woolly mittens' repeated several times in your text.
                      Below is a link to a free Keyword Density checking site - just put your URL in and it will tell you how you are doing. I seem to remember that a density of around 7% is good - don't aim much higher or it is considered bad.
                      http://www.webconfs.com/keyword-density-checker.php
                      Mary
                      www.somata.co.uk
                      www.stitchnglass.co.uk
                      www.gemstoneboutique.co.uk
                      www.somata-pmc.co.uk

Comment

Should have added - while having 'mosaic' in your URL name would be good, by itself it won't make a huge difference. You have to consider whether it's worth the hassle of changing your brand name and maybe losing regular web visitors.
                        Mary
                        www.somata.co.uk
                        www.stitchnglass.co.uk
                        www.gemstoneboutique.co.uk
                        www.somata-pmc.co.uk

Comment

I don't think it's necessary to change your business title, you could just change your homepage title eg to "Katian Krafts - handcrafted mosaics made to original designs" or something along those lines (for instance my webpage title is "Andamento - home of quality leaded mirrors and suncatchers"). Having a fairly generic business name such as "Katian Krafts" leaves the window open for future diversification (eg if you decide to switch to fused glass when you win the lottery and get to buy a kiln!). Also, I think it helps to have a more direct URL ie without the wordpress stuff although I realise setting up your site through a blog site was the only option for you at the time, You probably also need more on your site - more text & more pages. Then there's all the things Kipper, Mr Media & Mary etc were talking about. I've just spent the last month or so working on this kind of stuff for my site and not getting any crafting done, so I think I'll take a rest for a while! At the moment, I'm emailing my link to people I know and asking them to pass it on to anyone they think might be interested (hopefully everybody in their address book!). Good luck!
                          www.andamento.co.uk ...my website
                          http://andamentoblog.blogspot.com/ ... my blog

Comment

I think it has to do with the name and search engines as well. I try and put essential words in the meta tag. but still having problems getting people to my site...I know I need to do more to get my site up on the search engines though.
                            www.simplyroslyn.co.uk

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Cards2Inspire

Comment

Just did this and got 8.42% so not too bad.

Re: having a blog as my site, I know this isn't ideal, but initally the site was set up so that people I gave the address to could view my work. I do need to add more to it and am considering investing in a Mr Site when I start getting some money back. Thanks for all the advice everyone, very useful as per usual!
                              Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

Working...
                              X