Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is SEO and some tip's and how to's!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all,

Without trying to sound too pompous I have worked in the world of SEO for the last decade, amongst other things. I have always had my head buried in text books relating to the subject. SEO in a nut shell is basically a popularity contest, the more people are talking about and linking to your site the higher you will rank in search engines. The best advice I can give anyone is to submit your site to as many places as possible, such as search engines and directories. Create as many inbound links to your site as possible, the link should be a short piece of text that relates to your sites content highlighted and pointed to your home page. And the final piece of advice is to give people a reason to come to your site, not just content but regular special offers, a blog with informative entries, competitions........ people love getting stuff for free I know I do.

I've spent the last few weeks trying to get my jewellery business ranked highly for what's known as a broad search term, that is a term that users would enter into a search engine that has a lot of competition. The term I have been focusing on is "handmade silver jewellery", as you can imagine there are a lot of people fighting for the same term. After a lot of hours sat in front of a computer screen I am currently floating between page 2 and 3 of google, a little more work and I will be on page 1 somewhere.

If anyone would like any questions answering please feel free to send them my way

Kev

Comment

Thanks, super helpful!
      Signature Removed - not handmade

Comment

hey every one i am new to seo field i just heard somewhere something about bookmarking and directory submission i dont know what it is. please tell me what these both things are and how to do them?

Comment

I did some research for you hope it helps:-

Directory submission:-
          Directory submission refers to the process of adding your website to a web directory. The directory submission process involves submitting your website URL along with other details of your website to the most appropriate category.

In the SEO world, directory submission is the basic step taken by marketers to improve link popularity of a website. This can be done by the webmaster himself or he can outsource it to somebody who is good at this.

The charges for doing directory submission for a website URL mainly depends on the number of directories. Some of the directories can be paid and some others can be free. Based on these calculations the internet marketing guys will charge you.

A social bookmarking service is a centralized online service which enables users to add, annotate, edit, and share bookmarks of web documents.[1] Many online bookmark management services have launched since 1996; Delicious, founded in 2003, popularized the terms "social bookmarking" and "tagging". Tagging is a significant feature of social bookmarking systems, enabling users to organize their bookmarks in flexible ways and develop shared vocabularies known as folksonomies.

Source Wikipedia

if you want to learn more google it. cheers

Comment

Originally posted by jatiwat98 View Post
            I did some research for you hope it helps:-

Directory submission:-
            Directory submission refers to the process of adding your website to a web directory. The directory submission process involves submitting your website URL along with other details of your website to the most appropriate category.

In the SEO world, directory submission is the basic step taken by marketers to improve link popularity of a website. This can be done by the webmaster himself or he can outsource it to somebody who is good at this.

The charges for doing directory submission for a website URL mainly depends on the number of directories. Some of the directories can be paid and some others can be free. Based on these calculations the internet marketing guys will charge you.

A social bookmarking service is a centralized online service which enables users to add, annotate, edit, and share bookmarks of web documents.[1] Many online bookmark management services have launched since 1996; Delicious, founded in 2003, popularized the terms "social bookmarking" and "tagging". Tagging is a significant feature of social bookmarking systems, enabling users to organize their bookmarks in flexible ways and develop shared vocabularies known as folksonomies.

Source Wikipedia

if you want to learn more google it. cheers
            hey, thank you so much, i really appreciate you spared some time and did some search for me. i even got some videos on you tube. thankx again

Comment

Originally posted by hupper124 View Post
              hey, thank you so much, i really appreciate you spared some time and did some search for me. i even got some videos on you tube. thankx again
              something that has worked well for me is actually buying google adwords in order to have some idea about which keywords/phrases to target.

Comment

SEO (Search Engine Optimization) there are two type of SEO on pagae/off page SEO, SEO is also known as content marketing as well. if i will say content marketing and SEO both are the same thing almost. In SEO now a days your content matters a lot. not on on page it is very much compulsory for off page. there was a time when SEO's prefer to have more back links to their site but this theory is no more longer exist.

Now a days all service providing companies, telecom companies, health related companies even school/colleges prefare to do SEO' on their websites.

Comment

I've got a meeting with an SEO professional in two weeks to. Excited to hear his ideas. Annoying to have to pay for it but I just can't get my head around all this IT stuff myself!
                  www.loveintheclouds.co.uk
                  Kids and Adoption Gifts and Blog
                  Also looking for crafters who would like to sell personalised adoption gifts through my site

Comment

Originally posted by ThePriddyGiftCo View Post
                    I've got a meeting with an SEO professional in two weeks to. Excited to hear his ideas. Annoying to have to pay for it but I just can't get my head around all this IT stuff myself!

There are lots of free resources over the internet for Seo , but with Google's ranking system changes it does get more difficult at times.
                    Toolbug Wood Carving Chisels
                    Eyelet Punch & Hole Cutters
                    Our Facebook
                    Free Eyelet Pliers Guide

Comment

Nice thread and I'm inspired by your article it really contains lots of info..

Comment

thank you for these important information

Comment

Originally posted by zerodigit View Post
                          try also seobook.com, for extra information
                          If it were just the SEO it would be alot easier, timely part is setting the back links , especially if your Quake is playing up.....grrrr.lol

Any ideas

Comment

which ideas?

Comment

This is really useful. I've favourited this

Need to learn about back links and Seo as I'm trying to set up my own website.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesjj View Post
                                There is a huge information and that is not just an article but a full strategy for SEOing the site.
                                Agreed.
                                Too much information

Comment

Working...
                                X