X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• selling work on your own website

Hi guys,

I want your opinion on something.
    My life has taken an unexpected turn and I may have to go 'self employed' but if I do this I'm not actually working enough to claim tax credits and I'm not sure I can afford to pay the rent on what I'm actually earning from my regular income (crafting and artwork aside as it's not guaranteed income).

SOOOOO.... I'm thinking of setting up a small 'web-builder' business on the side. Offering to small businesses. I can make websites ok and I know a bit about SEO as well. I currently have my own website for my artwork (ok not a great example as I havent updated it in ages and I cant post the link on here yet!!), my other website which is in my signature and I also update another website (again I cant post the link). I've also been offered to do some work for a social enterprise funded organisation so I've got a bit of a portfolio going. PM if you want links btw!!

I'd love to know what you guys think of the idea and whether you'd likely use the service.
    I'm thinking of charging something in the region of £50-100 to get something similar to the website in my signature which can then be updated by you or you can continue to pay me an hourly rate to do all the updates for you.

Please let me know your thoughts and ideas.

Suzi
    Precious(has the biggest web-presence ever- check out all my links I have more than they will allow in a sig!!)
    Precious Creations website
    Precious Creations facebook page
    Artisan Website design at low cost! and my personal website (same link)
    My twitter: @precioustweetie (from there you can link to my blog Preciousbuzz provided by blogspot!)

The only problem I can see is that there is so much choice when it comes to website and many are free. For example Oscommerce which is the software I use is free, they even have a forum where you can ask for help.

http://www.oscommerce.com/solutions/oscommerce

I do know there are many who lack the knowledge to set up an oscommerce site and would prefer to pay someone to do it for them, however you do need to be familiar with php and html.

You might be better off offering extras rather than full setups.

Sue

Comment

php and html are no problem! Extras (ooh er) are no problem either! I can pretty much do anything.

I can appreciate there are a lot of free sites out there but they dont have the professional edge that your own site has, arent as customisable as your own as they use 'templates' and often have unwanted advertising. It's often very daunting setting up your own site. If I didnt know anything about websites even that link you provided would scare me lol!

I would offer your own web address, own mail system including mailing list options, easy to update by yourself without any need for coding knowledge (if you want that option), no advertising and also would help with SEO and marketing. Website design companies charge around £500 minimum for this service. I can also source logo designers/ icon designers cheaply as I have a wide database of contacts!

thanks for commenting btw, I really do appreciate the input.
      Precious(has the biggest web-presence ever- check out all my links I have more than they will allow in a sig!!)
      My twitter: @precioustweetie (from there you can link to my blog Preciousbuzz provided by blogspot!)

Comment

I'd go for it Suzi. It's what I do for friends and friends of friends - same prices too . There are computerly helpless and hopeless people out there who are really glad not to have to do the techie work. I try to start them off with something simple equivalent to an add in a magazine. Some people leave it at that and others go mad asking for new pages after new pages. Because of what we sell (we are all in the historical reenactment world) none of us have opted for the buy now thing, though. We all need to talk to our customers first as their needs are very specific and everyone different. By the time we finish echatting and customising and bespoking we might as well ask to be paid by cheque or PayPal.
        It works for us - but I do realise we confuse 'modern' people.
        AnnieAnna
        www.anniethepedlar.co.uk

Comment

thanks Annie! so you think it would be best to have 'packages' like totally basic, basic plus all the way up to 'anything you want but you have to pay for my time package' ??

The next thing I'd have to worry about I guess is getting the word out that I'm available!

Comment

I agree offering both basic and all in packages would be a good idea, I have paid for add ons in the past when I haven't had the time to do it myself.

I like Oscommerce, however it's not everyones cuppa tea and I gree many people wouldn't want to attempt their own website.

And the best way to let people know about your services is on forums like this, because many start by doing craft fayres and then go on to have their own website, so why not offer fellow crafters their own website.

Point out to them that it can help their sales if they are able to give a web address out at craft fayres as customers that might not buy on the day will remember their products and might order from a website at a later date.

Comment

that is a great idea, thank you!

Comment

They said, "I have no money but I'd like a website"
                I was in gizusajob mode so said "I can do you a one page website for so much. You might want extra pages and they'd be so much extra per page.
                They all went for the first page. and found the money to pay me .
                Then some realised they needed more pages and bought them one by one over time.
                I'm a bit sneaky 'cos I do 5 minute updating things to their websites for free so they are lulled into a false sense of security. I think they might forget they have to pay for any more elaborate ideas they come up with.

This is not a good business model, by the way, however - I might not be amassing money but I'm amassing friends.....
                Actually it's a nice little earner on the side.

AnnieAnna,

Comment

haha! thats good Annie, I'll bare that in mind.

Well spread the word then guys, I'm open for business! I shall do my own website this weekend lol. Its well overdue for an update anyway! I've sold half the paintings on there! doh!

Comment

Good Luck! My boyfriends a web designer freelance like, but hes not getting very far at the moment. Not enough to live off, he works in a shop as well. But if your already working it would be a good way to supplement your income!
                    I like to make things - usually a mess!
                    Please look at my stuff and let me know what you think!
                    http://elephantfrills.blogspot.com/

Comment

Maybe you could also offer help with blogs because lets face it some of them have awful layouts and can be a nightmare to get right.

I for one am not at all happy with the layout or apperance of my blog but I don't have the time to sort it out and would pay for this type of service depending on price of course.

Comment

well that something I am more than happy to do and have the skills to do but would people likely pay for me to update their blog?

Comment

I'm not suggesting you offer to update their blog, I'm suggesting you offer to change the layout / apperance.

As this would be a one off
                          (you wouldn't need it altering once you were happy with it)

I think there are those who would pay for this type of service.

Comment

that's what I meant, sorry bad wording. Your blog is great, what do you want to change about it?

Comment

Thanks I'm not sure what I'd change, I guess I should ask fellow crafters what they do or do not like about the overall apperance of my blog and go from there.

Comment

Working...
                              X