Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Postage do you guys use?

Hey all!

Recently started selling my things on Folksy - and I'm delighted to say that I've already sold a few items!!! Just wondered what postage you use to send your crafts?

I'd obviously prefer to send them recorded delivery, but as my products are glass, they can be quite heavy and therefore can be quite expensive. Is it worth the extra cost to ensure they get there, or woudl sending it first class and getting a proof of purchase be cheaper and do the same job?

I'm just conscious of keeping my costs as low as I can without comprimising! What do you do and what would you suggest?

Thanks everyone!
    Holly x
    HollyMade x
    http://www.hollymade.co.uk - HollyMade = )

Hi Holly

Well done on your sales!!

With the current Royal Mail problems, I tend to post everything first class recorded delivery... I guess our trust in the postal service just isn't there now.

There is another thread though about alternatives to RM here:

http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33551

Hope this helps.

Laura xxx

Comment

Ah fab, thanks for that link! Don't think I'm quite up to 250+ collections but the Collect+ website is very interesting! Although, I can send a tealight of mine recorded delivery for about £2. Bloody Royal Mail. Bloody nationalisation!
      http://www.hollymade.co.uk - HollyMade = )

Comment

Holly, recorded delivery might not be worth it, as you get a certain amount of compensation with ordinary stamps. But the compensation only covers the cost of the materials, not the selling price, so depending on your material costs, the ordinary insurance may cover it.
        Celia
        I can't be creative and tidy too
        www.jencel.co.uk for beads, findings and threads
        The Occasional Sheffield Bead Shop
        Jencel on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by HollyMade View Post
          Ah fab, thanks for that link! Don't think I'm quite up to 250+ collections but the Collect+ website is very interesting! Although, I can send a tealight of mine recorded delivery for about £2. Bloody Royal Mail. Bloody nationalisation!
          It isn't nationalised anymore as far as I know....it's gone downhill ever since it went private and profit took precedence over good service.

Pete
          "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
          Facebook

Website

Comment

i alway post just first class and always get proof of posting. I've posted over 500 items and only lost one..
            A couple of months ago i had to make a claim as one of my parcells got lost in the post, and although they say you are covered up to £30, they only paid me £1.25 and not the £22 i claimed for. I think it's disgusting. I sent the cheque back and told them to shove it where the sun don't shine.........
            Fair enough to say i have not heard from them since LOl......

i always try to send them recorded delivery now by royal mail , although i does cost more....
            Quirky items from a MAD family.

Comment

Try Parcel Monkey. IMHO great service.Cheapest by far all trackable I even get a text to tell me when its delivered.The best bit is they collect from me saving me time and money.
              I Melt Glass For a Living
              Website

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Martin View Post
                Try Parcel Monkey. IMHO great service.Cheapest by far all trackable I even get a text to tell me when its delivered.The best bit is they collect from me saving me time and money.
                That sounds fab, but it looks like their cheapest price is £6 + VAT. Most of my parcels are between £1.20 - £4.45 ish - I've not found anyone cheaper than Royal Mail.

I would love someone to pick up - the post office run takes a lot of time out of my working day, and needs doing more or less every day.

To answer the original question, I usually post first class but I don't pay extra for insurance - I figure that the cost of it outweighs the cost of any potential loss (which I figure are few and far between).
                digital stamps for cardmakers: http://www.handmadeharbour.co.uk
                blog: http://handmadeharbour.blogspot.com
                hand painted personalised plaques, clocks, canvases, etc: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk
                blog: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk/blog

Comment

big itemsi use interlink
                  smaller items royal mail signed for, after using them for so long i decided to get a franking machiene

Comment

I asked the other day the cost of registered delivery for a parcel and it was £6 instead of £2 which I thought was ridiculous. How can I pass that on to a customer? I think for parcels going abroad I will say that thatis an alternative but warn of the price difference so they can choose. Some of my things are fragile and cost over the £30 mark so it may be worth it otherwise it would be cheaper to replace it if it got lost

pete
                    "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
                    Facebook

Website

Comment

RM Parcels won't give compensation for broken glass or ceramic items, they only give compensation for loss of this type of item.

Also to claim compensation for full value of the postage and contents you need to supply the certificate of posting, AND an invoice or receipt to show the value of the item.

You can get full compensation from them but you really do have to comply with all their rules, better to check out the details on their site.
                      regards

Tam "now a hobby woodturner"

There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. (John Ruskin 1819-1900)

Comment

Ceramics? Is that so? They compensated me for smashed pottery 2 years ago. They were very block headed about the packaging. they kept insisting I produce it. I kept saying you DELIVERED the parcel. The packaging is with the customer - ask them. They annoyed me so much any pottery I send now is passed hand to hand through friends.

Some people only buy 50p's worth of stuff off me so I use 2nd class post for most things. Then somewhere there's a cross over point where first class becomes cheaper but for pricey items - £50 and up I go for special delivery plus the insurance.
                        It works for my custyomers because they are of two kinds, skint or someone else is paying (eg the museum).
                        AnnieAnna
                        www.anniethepedlar.com

Comment

Sorry, should have said, standard parcel post - glass & ceramics covered for loss only, proof of posting and invoice or receipt for value of goods needed. 1st & 2nd class Special Delivery covered for loss and breakage, this includes glass & ceramics.

Although I have found that they will try to wriggle out if possible, and give you stamps instead of the cash. I suppose you can't blame the mail in some respects as some folks have tried to **** them for value way above the actual parcel, but it has made it hard for the genuine claimants. IMO
                          regards

Tam "now a hobby woodturner"

There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey. (John Ruskin 1819-1900)

Comment

Working...
                          X