Reaching the UK segment of the Etsy Audience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reaching the UK segment of the Etsy Audience

I've been playing with a shop on Misi, and I've started thinking about the much larger community of UK people who apparently visit Etsy.

The numbers - and these are estimates from the Alexa service which I hate with a passion because they are unreliable but they are all I have here and the differences are marked - suggest that Etsy is in the top 500 or so websites by UK traffic, while the UK based marketplaces (Folksy, Misi) are in the 10->20k range.

Again according to the numbers, the Etsy UK visitors consitute the second largest group on the site, at 4-5%. That is a community that should be many times larger than the visitors to UK marketplaces.

In those crowded parts of the marketplace (Jewellery on Etsy for example) there may be an advantage in focusing on purely the UK audience of Etsy, as there is a pretty big advantage in e.g., postal costs. For some of my products (e.g, prints) that postal charge advantage is greater than in jewellery, and the subject matter can often be very locally-based.

Given that Etsy doesn't do a brilliant job of helping buyers and sellers from the same country find each other, I'm wondering if there are any strategies that have been successful.

I'm trying a couple of things, such as using a blatantly obvious account name with "uk" at the start of it, using "uk" as a keyword and a few other tricks, and I may seed a few links direct to my shop from UK-based directories etc.

There are other factors involved, and I'm not having a go at UK sites, which may well catch up over time as much Crafting is quite local - but I'd be interested to hear any comments.

Julian
    Photographer, printmaker, cardmaker, craft supplies.
    http://mrcello.misi.co.uk/
    http://www.discountarts.co.uk/

I agree with your point about etsy not making it wasy to search from uk (or any other country)
    I think i'll try adding uk as a tag and see if it makes any difference....
    Happy Crafting!
    Claire

Facebook
    Etsy shop
    Folksy shop
    My blog

Comment

I always tag my items as UK, and use it when searching as a buyer, but my jewellery still disappears into the mix! One of the things that infuriates me about Etsy (apart from non-UK sellers using a UK tag) is the culture of relisting - a large number of sellers relist numerous items every day to get them at the top of the search results. I refuse to get involved in this as I can't see the point of paying all my profits to Etsy in the form of listing fees, and surely if everyone stopped doing it, it wouldn't be necessary anyway?!

I'm in the process of building up my Etsy shop to decent stock levels for the first time (listing one item most days), as I'll be taking maternity leave in the autumn and might as well have my jewellery available on there as well as the UK sites. I'm going to do a free international postage promo this month too, just to see if it has any impact. If sales haven't improved by the time I'm 'back' next year, I think I may just let my shop run back down to a few items, spend a dollar a month on it and just use it as a way for people to find my own website.

As far as I can make out, people who are successful on Etsy relist a lot, have a strong presence in the forums, and promote their Etsy shop above all others. If people know other routes to success there, I'd love to hear them too!
      www.CeeGeeJewellery.com Handcrafted Sterling Silver Jewellery
      www.EvaBeanBeads.etsy.com Handmade Lampwork Glass Beads
      Etsy - Folksy - BLOG

Do you Twitter? Follow us!
      Find us on Facebook! Add to your profile for news and freebies...

Comment

I've set up an Etsy shop ("From the UK to the UK") deliberately targetting the UK segment with tags and all the rest, and I'll see what happens. I've even called it ukshop.

There's no immediate competition which isn't based in either Australia or North America, so it should pick up those sales if it is easy to find.

We shall see.

Julian

Comment

Originally posted by ferdinand2000 View Post
          I've been playing with a shop on Misi, and I've started thinking about the much larger community of UK people who apparently visit Etsy.

The numbers - and these are estimates from the Alexa service which I hate with a passion because they are unreliable but they are all I have here and the differences are marked - suggest that Etsy is in the top 500 or so websites by UK traffic, while the UK based marketplaces (Folksy, Misi) are in the 10->20k range.

Again according to the numbers, the Etsy UK visitors consitute the second largest group on the site, at 4-5%. That is a community that should be many times larger than the visitors to UK marketplaces.

In those crowded parts of the marketplace (Jewellery on Etsy for example) there may be an advantage in focusing on purely the UK audience of Etsy, as there is a pretty big advantage in e.g., postal costs. For some of my products (e.g, prints) that postal charge advantage is greater than in jewellery, and the subject matter can often be very locally-based.

Given that Etsy doesn't do a brilliant job of helping buyers and sellers from the same country find each other, I'm wondering if there are any strategies that have been successful.

I'm trying a couple of things, such as using a blatantly obvious account name with "uk" at the start of it, using "uk" as a keyword and a few other tricks, and I may seed a few links direct to my shop from UK-based directories etc.

There are other factors involved, and I'm not having a go at UK sites, which may well catch up over time as much Crafting is quite local - but I'd be interested to hear any comments.

Julian
          How have you got on with Misi? I have added just a few items at the weekend... but I'm keen to hear how other people find it? Do you get many sales? One of my items has been viewed 110 since Saturday! That has to be good? Right?
          Heidi

Comment

Originally posted by CeeGee View Post
            I always tag my items as UK, and use it when searching as a buyer, but my jewellery still disappears into the mix! One of the things that infuriates me about Etsy (apart from non-UK sellers using a UK tag) is the culture of relisting - a large number of sellers relist numerous items every day to get them at the top of the search results. I refuse to get involved in this as I can't see the point of paying all my profits to Etsy in the form of listing fees, and surely if everyone stopped doing it, it wouldn't be necessary anyway?!

I'm in the process of building up my Etsy shop to decent stock levels for the first time (listing one item most days), as I'll be taking maternity leave in the autumn and might as well have my jewellery available on there as well as the UK sites. I'm going to do a free international postage promo this month too, just to see if it has any impact. If sales haven't improved by the time I'm 'back' next year, I think I may just let my shop run back down to a few items, spend a dollar a month on it and just use it as a way for people to find my own website.

As far as I can make out, people who are successful on Etsy relist a lot, have a strong presence in the forums, and promote their Etsy shop above all others. If people know other routes to success there, I'd love to hear them too!
            Hi
            I agree with your comments about folk who relist constantly, I only relist when each listing time is up, As for etsy forums,I just can't get the hang of them- I guess the time difference does not help either. I think that I'd rather spend my time actually crafting
            All this seems pretty academic at the moment though my e-sales have dried up over the last couple of weeks
            Happy Crafting!
            Claire

Facebook
            Etsy shop
            Folksy shop
            My blog

Comment

Originally posted by Extra Special Touch Gifts View Post
              How have you got on with Misi? I have added just a few items at the weekend... but I'm keen to hear how other people find it? Do you get many sales? One of my items has been viewed 110 since Saturday! That has to be good? Right?
              I can't report back yet as I've only been fully up and running for a day - but there's certainly a good response in the forums there.

I think the thing with Misi is that it is so new that there are relatively few members (i.e., several thousand rather than 30-50 thousand) and not much of an "outside" audience yet, so no one is going to make huge amounts of sales yet. There may be a takeoff at some point, but I've no idea when that may be.

Otoh starting now, or 6 months ago, and plugging away for a year may put people in a very strong position if it takes off and has say 5-10x as many members or readers in 2010.

That is - I hope :-) - less of an issue for me as my main audience for my supplies and clearance items is likely to be crafters.

I'm now going to wait a week or two and see how it goes.

Julian

Comment

Originally posted by ferdinand2000 View Post
                I can't report back yet as I've only been fully up and running for a day - but there's certainly a good response in the forums there.

I think the thing with Misi is that it is so new that there are relatively few members (i.e., several thousand rather than 30-50 thousand) and not much of an "outside" audience yet, so no one is going to make huge amounts of sales yet. There may be a takeoff at some point, but I've no idea when that may be.

Otoh starting now, or 6 months ago, and plugging away for a year may put people in a very strong position if it takes off and has say 5-10x as many members or readers in 2010.

That is - I hope :-) - less of an issue for me as my main audience for my supplies and clearance items is likely to be crafters.

I'm now going to wait a week or two and see how it goes.

Julian
                Thanks for that... I'll let everyone know when I get my first sale!
                Heidi

Comment

Originally posted by Extra Special Touch Gifts View Post
                  Thanks for that... I'll let everyone know when I get my first sale!
                  Well - I have my first Misi sale.

I'm not going to retire on £3.90, but it's nice to be underway.

Now - inevitably - Paypal is broken so I haven't seen any money yet !

I'm hoping to have a few more, as I've done a "zero postage charge" offer for the first 48 hours.

[Update 21:00: First three Misi Sales :-) ]

Julian
                  Last edited by ferdinand2000; 03-08-2009, 09:09 PM.

Comment

A couple more notes on Etsy UK users. There are various groups and networks, Flickr groups and live chats around.

I don't think I can discuss other forums, but since I don't think it will undermine the forum here, I'll just note that you have to go looking for the monthly UK Chat thread on the Etsy site.

There seems to be quite a big community, and there's a Flickr Group with 500+ members for example, a promotions group and various other things.

Julian

Comment

Working...
                    X