Help with shed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with shed

I have done a good long search on this topic and I haven't found anything on this forum. I am considering buying a shed to put in my parents' garden to turn into a jewellery making studio. I know people have turned sheds into studios for their various arts and crafts so I want to know really how did people get on? There is nowhere in the house for me to make a dedicated area and I am not in the financial position to move out of home or to rent studio space, so wondering if people thought it was worth the plunge when they did it? I am aware I will need to insulate it, how easy is it?? I have given myself a budget of £300-£350 to spend - will this be enough for a 7x5 or 8x6 shed? (seen one for about £200 leaving me £100-£150 to insulate etc)
    www.pebblesandpearls.co.uk

Shed

Hi

I have brought a shed off ebay and I have insulated it using fiberglass and plywood and put a dubble layer floor down then carpeted it 2 layer thick. I have got 4 electirc sockets plus an extension lead. I did all this for just under 150 pounds. mind my shed was 6x4 which im now thinking was a bit small lol but it cosy in there. i've put my music system in as well and a heater.

It is the best thing I have done. I can begin a projectand leave it out and not worry about tidying up lol I make cards and fancy goods.

Good luck with it and if there anything I can help you with please feel free to contact me.

good luck

Shaz

Comment

I have a shed which doubles as a spare bedroom. It is 12 x 8 and has a bed settee in it as well as all my kit including ironing board. If ever anyone came to sleep in it I would have a fit, it would take me a week to tidy it up. It cost £300 to insulate and put electricity in it but remember, it is bigger than the one you are thinking of so yours won't be so much. It is my Avator.
      Carol
      God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

Hi

I have a shed too, best thing i ever did!! All my mess hiden away .......only me gets to wallow in it ...great. Some info on my blog with pictures if you want a peek, I (well hubby did)insulated mine with loft insulation and cladding, took a weekend to do. I would reccomend the investment, really is worth every penny, good luck

kazxx

Comment

a shed sounds better than my loft! No heating. Icebox in winter and a sauna in the summer. Just now its just a nice temp but in a couple of months i will be up there with a hat and fingerless gloves!
          Snowf1975

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1039948...polished-beads

Comment

Originally posted by SNOWF1975 View Post
            a shed sounds better than my loft! No heating. Icebox in winter and a sauna in the summer. Just now its just a nice temp but in a couple of months i will be up there with a hat and fingerless gloves!

Is it really that cold??? Poor you, mind you think its gonna be the same in my shed in a few months time...............insulation or not think the fingerless gloves will be coming out and the hot water bottle,lol

kazx

Comment

I work in a 10 x 6 shed which is about 1/4 of the size I need. In the summer I overflow outside with saws and things. As I am using machiery (a lathe and dust extractor) I don't find it gets cold in winter but summer can be a bit hot.

If you buy a shed get a tongue and groove one not a lone with lapped wood as it is ieasier to insulate. Getting electrics in is very expensive unless you do what I have done and rune an industrial strength cable extension reel from a trip switch in the house.

Pete
              "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
              Facebook

Website

Comment

Originally posted by kazzells View Post
                Is it really that cold??? Poor you, mind you think its gonna be the same in my shed in a few months time...............insulation or not think the fingerless gloves will be coming out and the hot water bottle,lol

kazx
                It is REALLY cold. Last year i was wearing my fleecy jammies, fleece, full dressing gown with hood, hat, fingerless gloves and my big slippers! Looked hilarious but I was warm. Nose was freezing though! haha.
                Snowf1975

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1039948...polished-beads

Comment

I have a large cabin in my garden, and i will admit it was a little expensive, but there was no insulating to do as the walls are 75mm thick, electrics were expensive too, but its quite a disance from the house and had to be done 'properly' with its own fuse box in the cabin and wired into the house.

Best thing i ever did, although it needs a really good sort out as its full of junk from the house & garden, but its big enough to use as a photo studio and craft studio, i can even seat up to 10 people for a crafting session!

Definitely recommend it, and when it does get a bit cold in the depths of winter, there is a panel heater to warm it up!
                  Jo

Independent Stampin' Up! Demo in Nuneaton, Warwickshire

Visit my Blog, & My Gallery (on this site)

Comment

I have a shed that I spend most of my time in lately! I do recommend getting one though, its better having a space for all your stuff instead of it being all round the house.
                    I have images and info on my blog too.
                    Hope everything goes well setting up your shed etc, its really fun!!

Comment

Originally posted by SNOWF1975 View Post
                      Yes, I remember it well - my last workroom was in my loft - and you've just reminded me why I moved house!!

Now got a lovely extension to the garage. Big space, insulated, well-lit, I think my only problem now is spiders. They were all over the garage when we moved in. We recently cleared the garage and they moved into the studio. I think they're called Huntsman spiders - little body, long legs, and they just hang there...yuk. Another spider lives by the back door, a big hairy thing, and comes out every time I switch my electric sander on. We look at each other, I scream, and he runs back under the crack by the door.

Your shed will be lovely. Seal all gaps - keep it a spider-free zone!!!!
                      digital stamps for cardmakers: http://www.handmadeharbour.co.uk
                      blog: http://handmadeharbour.blogspot.com
                      hand painted personalised plaques, clocks, canvases, etc: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk
                      blog: http://www.1stuniquegifts.co.uk/blog

Comment

thanks for your help everyone - i have seen this one http://www.waltons.co.uk/waltons-nor...-door-shed-8x6 which I like as its got huge windows so should be plenty of natural light hopefully. I havent decided completely whether ot not to do this yet but as its all i can think about its more than likely that i will
                        www.pebblesandpearls.co.uk

Comment

That's the small version of the one that I have (mine's 6x10) You will need to insulate it well if you intend to use it in winter but apart from that it should be fine for your needs. The windows are plastic but the rest is pretty sound and strong. Eay to erect and insulation could easily be fitted between the joists inside.

Pete
                          "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
                          Facebook

Website

Comment

Everything I know about sheds:
                            they are brilliant.
                            My husband puts one up for us (me really ) everytime we move.
                            We have his and her sheds.
                            I store stuff in mine and work in the kitchen/garage/utility room/ex toilet (and spread my stuff all over the house as well )
                            My son's just put up a shed. It looks lovely. It's his 'baby' and he's very proud. all it's got in it is a wheelbarrow. It looks so wrong....as in too empty.
                            At one house we ran electricity to the shed by digging a channel across the garden and laying armoured cable. This was great until we came to the pond...
                            My potter friend insulated her shed. She says it was dead easy. Her OH did it . Basically they put insulation between the battens and then 'walled' it over with plywood. It's really cosy. She works in it all year round.
                            My Argentinian friend came to England as a refugee and thought sheds were the houses of poor people.
                            My middle son is coming back from Chile soon. If he can't get a mortgage he might be living in a shed!!!!!!!
                            AnnieAnna

Comment

Originally posted by AnnieAnna View Post
                              Everything I know about sheds:
                              they are brilliant.
                              My husband puts one up for us (me really ) everytime we move.
                              We have his and her sheds.
                              I store stuff in mine and work in the kitchen/garage/utility room/ex toilet (and spread my stuff all over the house as well )
                              My son's just put up a shed. It looks lovely. It's his 'baby' and he's very proud. all it's got in it is a wheelbarrow. It looks so wrong....as in too empty.
                              At one house we ran electricity to the shed by digging a channel across the garden and laying armoured cable. This was great until we came to the pond...
                              My potter friend insulated her shed. She says it was dead easy. Her OH did it . Basically they put insulation between the battens and then 'walled' it over with plywood. It's really cosy. She works in it all year round.
                              My Argentinian friend came to England as a refugee and thought sheds were the houses of poor people.
                              My middle son is coming back from Chile soon. If he can't get a mortgage he might be living in a shed!!!!!!!
                              AnnieAnna
                              You make it sound positively medeival

Pete
                              Facebook

Website

Comment

Working...
                              X