X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crafts from the heath
    Moderate crafter
    • May 2009

I'm working hard to make my hobby into a business & it would be lovely to be able to also take the school holidays off & have quality time with my two boys. I like the idea of taking each day as it comes, it's nice to have surprises, nice ones ofcourse!
    www.craftsfromtheheath.co.uk

Comment

• ferdinand2000
      Moderate crafter
      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by kreed View Post
      Here's one for you crafters....
      Who has a business stretegy, covering the next 2 to 5 years? (you should have one)

Mine is very complicated, but here we go.

Current Year - hit 50 workshops ( 121 with my kit), be stocked in 20 outlets, not be left with 2010 calendars

<snip>

A lot, but all possible
      That loks excellent.

Have you adjusted for the recession?

Julian
      Photographer, printmaker, cardmaker, craft supplies.
      http://mrcello.misi.co.uk/
      http://www.discountarts.co.uk/

Comment

• Marion Mitchell
        100+ crafts club
        • Feb 2009

We're sort of at the other end.
        Our plan is to work as hard as possible for the next few years in order to be able to slow down into some sort of retirement.
        We'll not retire completely - best thing about this kind of work is that you can choose to slow down without totally giving up.
        That makes us sound old and decrepit - far from it - we've got the business going pretty well (touch wood) and despite the recession hope to have our best ever year.
        We've been VAT registered for the past 12 years or so, so it's pretty much a way of life.
        I would suggest that if you're just over the VAT threshold you keep yourself below it, but there's no point deliberately staying under it if there is the potential to do a lot more. IYKWIM.
        We've had various business plans over the years and I think they are a good idea, as long as it's realistic and achievable.
        It helps to keep you on track and see the big picture.
        It can be too easy to get bogged down in day to day stuff especially if you are making ( I mean your craft) as well as managing your business.
        Marion
        Embroidered Originals
        Here is my Blog
        Embroidered_Originals website
        Follow me on Twitter

Comment

• matt.chatterley
          500+ Crafters Club
          • Oct 2008

I have to agree with the sentiment here, good planning is critical!

There are all sorts of different plans, too - if you don't plan to run the business for 'the foreseeable future', then you're into 'exit strategy' planning (getting out alive ), not just plain old planning for growth!
          --Matt

Web Development
          Beads, Charms & Findings - Jersey Craft Shop

Comment

• Makedoandmend
            100+ crafts club
            • Jul 2009

I'd ultimately like to earn enough to not have to go to work at the weekends (I work weekends, hubbie works in the week) so I can spend time at home with my husband and baby. My son is starting to think he can only have one parent at home at a time!

However in general to be making a profit within 6 months would be nice!

www.makedoandmendonline.co.uk
            Blog: www.thesewingdirectory.blogspot.com
            Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Se...5848809?ref=ts
            Twitter: @sewingdirectory

Comment

Working...
            X