Vilene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vilene

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum. I have a craft card kit and it says in the intructions to iron fabric onto vileen but i have search on google and I can only find results about vilene. Is it the same thing? Do I iron the vilene onto the front or the back of the fabric and which side do I iron it on? As you can probably tell I don't know much about crafts

Hi, yes I think the thing you want is vilene. It is a non-woven interfacing and is used in dressmaking. The sort you want - iron on - is a very light sort. You iron it on to the wrong side of the fabric. Make sure you have the 'tacky' side to the wrong side of the fabric. If you don't you will make a real mess of your iron. You can tell the side to put next to the fabric as it has a slight raised feel to it. Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks. So I iron the vilene side?

Comment

Yes, One side of the Vilene is shiney, that is the glue so it is glue side down on the wrong side of the fabric.
        Carol
        God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

You could also use Bondaweb or Wonder under. They are a double sided interfacing type, this means that you can use it to stick it to your card as well.
          www.mycalicoheart.co.uk
          www.mycalicoheart.blogspot.com
          www.mycalicoheart.misi.co.uk
          www.mycalicoheart.folksy.com

Comment

Originally posted by xlimeyx View Post
            Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum. I have a craft card kit and it says in the intructions to iron fabric onto vileen but i have search on google and I can only find results about vilene. Is it the same thing? Do I iron the vilene onto the front or the back of the fabric and which side do I iron it on? As you can probably tell I don't know much about crafts
            You can get iron on and non iron on. You need to make sure you are buying iron on.
            It is normally used in dressmaking to give extra stability to button hole areas etc.
            So when you use iron on, it will make your fabric thicker and more stable.
            There are lots of different types of weights of vilene... best if you went to a local fabric shop (or John Lewis) and have a look at the diffenent weight, some make the fabric thicker, but still floppy... some make it stiff (like card) but still thin.
            As you can see... I used to dress make a lot and still use my machine all the time... you need to get the right stuff.... or the project won't work correctly!

Hope this doesn't confuse you too much!

If you don't have a local shop... let me know and I'll post some websites.
            Heidi

Comment

Ok thank you for all your help I think I'll be able to do it now

Comment

Working...
              X