Just for fun.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just for fun.

Apart from Chris (Works in Wood) I wonder how many people know what wood this is. It's from a fairly well know tree but not seen much and as far as I know it is mainly turners who use it. Never seen it in furniture anyway

This is just from a small branch.

Pete
    Last edited by bodrighy; 12-07-2009, 08:37 PM.
    "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
    Facebook

Website

Plane tree?
    Terry xxx
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it all?" - Steven Wright
    Website Twitter Facebook Blog Folksy

Comment

I'm not sure from your clues but I know what it reminds me of... am I allowed to guess?

Si.
      Wood Tattoos
      Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
      Facebook
      Flickr
      Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by woodtattoos View Post
        I'm not sure from your clues but I know what it reminds me of... am I allowed to guess?

Si.

Of course. An extra hint is that the 'knot' is typical and goes right through to the other side.

Pete
        "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
        Facebook

Website

Comment

I'm not quite sure about the "never seen it in furniture" clue as the colour and marking reminded me of something similar to pine... so is it something like that? I hadn't really thought about the knot but that also wouldn't look out of place in a piece of pine.

Si.
          Wood Tattoos
          Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
          Facebook
          Flickr
          Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by woodtattoos View Post
            I'm not quite sure about the "never seen it in furniture" clue as the colour and marking reminded me of something similar to pine... so is it something like that? I hadn't really thought about the knot but that also wouldn't look out of place in a piece of pine.

Si.
            It is a kind of pine but not just any old pine.

Pete
            Facebook

Website

Comment

Lonesome pine?
              I started off with nothing and I've still got most if left.

www.folksy.com/shops/fluffysstuff

Comment

chilean pine?

i wonder where i got that from
                www.woodadoodle.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by mrdavidtodd View Post
                  i wonder where i got that from
                  That sounded sneaky!!

I didn't know that chilean pine was the proper name for monkey puzzle tree... you learn something new every day.

Si.
                  Wood Tattoos
                  Facebook
                  Flickr
                  Twitter

Comment

ooh does that make it expensive, I decided a while back that I wanted a monkey puzzle tree for the garden (so I knew it was chilean pine!) but they were so expensive to buy and slow growing that I gave the idea up!
                    Diane
                    Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

Originally posted by Moonbeam Angel View Post
                      ooh does that make it expensive, I decided a while back that I wanted a monkey puzzle tree for the garden (so I knew it was chilean pine!) but they were so expensive to buy and slow growing that I gave the idea up!
                      They are if you buy a tree and the wood is expensive to buy but as usual I managed to get a 4' log free & gratis. The donor kept the trunk mind. That will be gorgeous.

Pete
                      Facebook

Website

Comment

Working...
                      X