Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Digital camers for good portfolio pics (jewellery)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital camers for good portfolio pics (jewellery)

I need to choose a digital camera for photographing my work for a portfolio.

Ideally i would not like to spend more than £150, less is good, i'm willing to try second hand, but any ideas on the kind of specs or even cameras that will produce quality photos with good detail definition?

All help will be greatly appreciated..

I have just bought a lumix panasonic which is fantastic BUT a bit more than you want to spend!

I would go on amazon and look for cameras within your price range (either new or secondhand, and then compare what you get for your money.

You need a good macro mode and probably a good optical (rather than digital)zoom for photographing jewellery.

Comment

Definitely make sure you have good (at least 5x?) optical zoom - digital zoom is a bit pants. Beyond that, just get something fairly robust and a bit above 'average' for the time being - you can always update later.

If it has a tripod attachment (even a little desk mounted one) you may find that very useful, as you'll need a super-steady hand if not - nothing worse than blurred pics!
      --Matt

Web Development
      Beads, Charms & Findings - Jersey Craft Shop

Comment

thanks guys! massive help.

Comment

Like Matt said, ignore the digital zoom, go for a the highest optical zoom you can. Read the reviews about the macro quality and then get yourself into a well lit space and experiment.

To be honest most cameras nowadays for yur budget price will do the job nicely, as they are all well specced.

Do invest in a tabletop tripod though as this will help with all the close up jewllery shots!
          Design, not rocket science. Illustrator, graphic and web designer, mum of two, wife and self-appointed font police.

Changing the world one crayon at a time.

Comment

A good lens makes a difference too. I don't know a lot about photography, but I did a short course last year, and the teacher said a Carl Zeiss lens is good.
            Celia
            I can't be creative and tidy too
            www.jencel.co.uk for beads, findings and threads
            The Occasional Sheffield Bead Shop
            Jencel on Facebook

Comment

I have a samsung digimax D103 10x mega pixels it was about £120 and takes brilliant photo's. The macro setting is very good.
              I have uploaded a picture to my album of a bee I took on a macro setting and the second photo is then zoomed in and cropped on windows photo gallery. It was a bit drizzly at the time and you can see the drops of water on it's back.
              I cannot praise it enough and have not come across any other camera that has such clear close-ups.

There is one here
              http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Samsung-Digimax-D103-Case-and-1GB-memory-card_W0QQitemZ170350651250QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Ca merasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN?hash=i tem27a9b0a772&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A 12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1683|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293% 3A1|294%3A50
              Which is a brilliant price.

It takes ordinary batteries, great for emergencies, but they will only last for maybe an hour. I bought the rechargeable 1300 ones and they last for a good 4 hours or so.

Melanie
              Last edited by silvermaid; 02-07-2009, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X