Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there such a thing as seasonal crafts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there such a thing as seasonal crafts?

I was told by a painter that her work sold best during spring fairs and not so good during winter fairs. The reason being that people tend to want to look for home decoration type things during the springtime. Makes perfect sense, but it would never have occurred to me!

Are some things more seasonal than others? Would be interested to hear from the more experienced fair exhibitors. Do you tailor the things you make depending on the time of year, add different packaging etc?
    Last edited by TizzyDizzy; 22-06-2009, 11:11 AM.
    Design, not rocket science. Illustrator, graphic and web designer, mum of two, wife and self-appointed font police.

Changing the world one crayon at a time.

What I do can be very seasonal. Wedding jewellery and tiaras. Come the end of October my wee hobby business dies a death until January, the rest of the time it ticks over slowly!
    Something Shiny Something Sparkly
    Handmade Tiaras & Jewellery by Diana @ dizaTIARAS
    My blog
    Facebook

Comment

Certainly Valentines, Mothering Sunday, Easter, Fathers Day end of school year and Christmas are all good for us

Jane
      www.just-soaps.com
      Twitter JUSTSOAPS
      FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
      Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

I would tailor my stall display according to season. Obviously a fair before Mothers Day, Fathers Day, Easter etc would feature those cards and nearer to Christmas I would feature more gifts than cards, i.e. my packs of notelets, notepads/scrapbooks, mounted prints etc, but always have cards with me obviously.
        Cynthia
        http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

I suspect that it also depends on your craft. Woodturning is less dependent on seasons than cards for example though Christmas is obviously a high soot when people are perhaps looking for something a bit different. Living in Cornwall my work in galleries down here can sell more in the holiday season, July to August as well.

pete
          "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
          Facebook

Website

Comment

Hello im new here so i hope im doing this right.i do hand knits for babies so mine is seasonal,i cant do any craft fairs in summer ,

Comment

I think most crafters tend to do better when a calender event such as mothers day ,valentines etc is coming up . Christmas buying starts earlier each year more so with the credit crunch at the mo
              Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes CAN change your life !!

my website http://www.ticketyboo-jewellery.co.uk
              my misi shop http://ticketyboo.misi.me.uk
              my blog http://ticketyboojewellery.blogspot.com/

Comment

I always try to tailor my things and my website and stalls to the time of year. I bring in lighter pastel colours for the spring summer months and go with a warmer pallett for the autumn winter months, and at christmas theres lots of decorations to be made so things are very festive!!!. I think my busiest time of year is the run up to christmas, although the summer is a bit manic with wedding stuff.
                by Nicki
                www.bynicki.co.uk

Home Decorations & Gifts with Country Style

Comment

We're fairly new to the crafting side of things, but have already noticed that things pick up around traditional celebrations, mothers day, fathers day etc. Depends on what you do really, we're currently in the middle of the wedding season so anything that's a possibility for someone who is looking for something different to give as a wedding present should do OK.

Strangely we've heard from a more experienced card maker that Christmas isn't a good time for cards as most people are looking for a boxes of cheap cards rather than individual ones. Never thought of that until she pointed it out.

Guess it's suck it and see for your particular craft.
                  David & Catherine

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys.

So true about the cards, you would have thought Christmas time would be the best time for cards, but because of the volumes involved I suppose people just want budget packs of cards and not prepared to fork out for a handmade one.

@indigo - have you thought about knitting bags for your summer stock?

@bynicki - sounds like you have it all sorted. I envy someone who can be so organised. Is your crafting a full time thing for you?
                    Design, not rocket science. Illustrator, graphic and web designer, mum of two, wife and self-appointed font police.

Changing the world one crayon at a time.

Comment

I agree about the card situation at Christmas as far as events are concerned, but I find that I get bigger orders by having a folder of samples for people to order from and have regular customers who order in quantity, plus personalised ones for business customers. At craft fairs people do not buy a lot of Christmas cards, just odd ones - perhaps it is just my cards!!!
                      Cynthia
                      http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

Even in shops you'll see different products at different times of year, so I think everything can be seasonal.
                        View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

The different aspects of our crafting seem to do better at various times of year.

With regards to hubby's candles, candle holders, scented teddies, etc... he seems to do ok with those all year round but I don't think that is so much to do with seasonal, but perhaps more financial.

My cards tend to do better around Mothers Day, Fathers Day and Valentines Day as well as the general birthdays, new babies, weddings, etc but I think our worst time for cards is generally Christmas. As has already been said, Christmas is such an expensive time that people cannot afford to spend a fortune on handmade cards for everyone and tend to stick to boxes of cards and 'budget packs' simply because of the expense of everything else... we do sell a few cards at Christmas time but notice that it steadily slows down.

My crochet work tends to be quite quiet most of the time to be honest but then I don't carry a huge range of blankets and hats as my crocheting is more hobby-based than income-based so I usually only have a few items at a time.

This year we are hoping to expand our range to include some sets of notecards and perhaps a small selection of my artwork which would be more geared towards the gift sector so we will see how that goes.

All in all, with the crafts that we do I think it's just a case of altering our display and ranges to match the seasons and occasions, and of course plenty of multibuy special offers especially in the lead up to Christmas when people are watching the pennies

Comment

@bynicki - sounds like you have it all sorted. I envy someone who can be so organised. Is your crafting a full time thing for you?[/quote]

Hi, yes it is, very full-time - nights, weekends - I love it though and wouldn't change it at all, after being stuck in a dark dingy office 9 -5 for many years I am now able to be in my own workshop doing what I love !!!. I don't know about having it all sorted though, I've been doing it nearly two years and I'm still very much learning but thats fun too!!.
                            by Nicki
                            www.bynicki.co.uk

Home Decorations & Gifts with Country Style

Comment

Theres definitely some 'seasonality' (pah, only a million words in the dictionary? I can easily invent more!) to most things - and crafts is no exception.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that 'different crafts' are more popular in different seasons, however, I would say that (assuming the end item is to be sold), varying the nature of the end product could have an impact!

Apart from the obvious tactics of theming things to match special dates, times of year, etc, there are also various other things e.g. different colours can be more popular at different times of year; more people move house at certain times of year - there are more birthdays in some months than others, etc.
                              --Matt

Web Development
                              Beads, Charms & Findings - Jersey Craft Shop

Comment

Working...
                              X