Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A bit suss?

Hi,

Not sure if this is in the right place, my brain is addled from lack of sleep but I just found this in my MISI inbox...

Hi
    I am really interested in your items for my bridal accessory shop in Belfast and also my new website that is about to go live confettini.co.uk, would you be interested in supplying wholesale/dropship.

...Call me a cynic but I thought 'yeah right whatever' and it looks like I'm right because I googled the website and the Whois register says it's not registered so it can't be 'about to go live' can it?

Why lie and what do they hope to get out of it? Anyone got any thoughts?

Sleep-deprived Lorna x
    Lorna x

http://twistedspiral.wordpress.com/ - I've finally ventured into the world of blogging!

It sounds dodgy to me. I think you can often tell by the way these emails are worded. Have you checked "properties" of the email it's come from? That can often give you a clue.
    Celia
    I can't be creative and tidy too
    www.jencel.co.uk for beads, findings and threads
    The Occasional Sheffield Bead Shop
    Jencel on Facebook

Comment

Hi.
      I had a similar message a couple of weeks ago wanting to buy my stuff for a shop in India (!).
      I just ignored it because I thought it was spam. I didn't hear anything back from them so that probably proves my point. I would ignore it if I was you and see if they get back to you- if they are on the up and up they will email you again.
      Louise
      x

Comment

Originally posted by jencel View Post
        It sounds dodgy to me. I think you can often tell by the way these emails are worded. Have you checked "properties" of the email it's come from? That can often give you a clue.
        What do you mean by 'properties' of the e-mail? As in who sent it, type of e-mail address that kind of thing? It was a hotmail address which put me off from the start, I'd never use my hotmail address for business purposes!

Thanks for both replies, yes I was very suspicious from the start because they don't say the name of the shop and the downright lie about the website and I'm not considering contacting them.

But what do they get out of it? I feel very naive because I can normally see the advantages for the conman but in this instance I don't understand what info I could give them that they could gain from?

A confused Lorna x
        Lorna x

http://twistedspiral.wordpress.com/ - I've finally ventured into the world of blogging!

Comment

You should let Misi know by forwarding a copy of the email to them. They should look into it and check if it's spam!
          Diane
          Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

What do you mean by 'properties' of the e-mail? As in who sent it, type of e-mail address that kind of thing? It was a hotmail address which put me off from the start, I'd never use my hotmail address for business purposes!
            If you right click on the email (not the body of the email, but the list of all your emails in your inbox) on the box that comes up, one of the options is Properties. Click on that and it will tell you the email address of the sender. You can't always glean anything from it, but I've had two today that listed my own email address as the sender. You know immediately that it's suspect. Or, the email address may be quite different to the one showing in your inbox, and the whole thing looks a bit strange.

Another way to check suspicious emails is, if there's a link in the email, don't click it, but hover your mouse over it. Then look to the bottom left of your screen, and the link will appear there. It may be completely different to the link in the actual email, for example, those spoof emails that say they're from paypal.
            Celia
            I can't be creative and tidy too
            www.jencel.co.uk for beads, findings and threads
            The Occasional Sheffield Bead Shop
            Jencel on Facebook

Comment

Why lie and what do they hope to get out of it? Anyone got any thoughts?
              I would imagine that they could get you to dropship to different addresses ( friends or relatives) -possibly without payment first or a duff cheque - and then claim the packages were not received. If they pay by paypal they could also claim the money back for 'goods not received' ?

Melanie

Comment

Originally posted by jencel View Post
                If you right click on the email (not the body of the email, but the list of all your emails in your inbox) on the box that comes up, one of the options is Properties. Click on that and it will tell you the email address of the sender. You can't always glean anything from it, but I've had two today that listed my own email address as the sender. You know immediately that it's suspect. Or, the email address may be quite different to the one showing in your inbox, and the whole thing looks a bit strange.

Another way to check suspicious emails is, if there's a link in the email, don't click it, but hover your mouse over it. Then look to the bottom left of your screen, and the link will appear there. It may be completely different to the link in the actual email, for example, those spoof emails that say they're from paypal.
                I can't rep you again for a while but thanks for that, very informative, off to have a look now...
                Lorna x

Comment

Working...
                X