Advice on charging for demonstrations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on charging for demonstrations

Hi I have done a couple of demonstrations/talks. The first one I donated the money back to the group to give to their chosen charity. The second I accepted payment graciously but I cant remember how much it was for now (its an age thing)
    I have since been invited to do a demonstration/talk for a local church guild and for the Scottish women's institute. I dont know what the church guild is going to pay me for this but the lady at the women's institute wants me to give them a price. I haven't a clue what to ask for. The other problem is I am not a speaker as such and dont think I will be able to give them any amusing chat. Basically what I intend to do is explain how I got into what I do and demonstrate the construction of various pieces and leave the floor open to questions and answers. It is to last about 3/4 to 1 hour. It seems to have worked for the last 2 that I have done but I know its not terribly professionial so this is why I am unsure about what to charge. I dont think either of these places have a lot of money to pay out so I dont want to burn my bridges to doing more of the same if I ask for too much. So the question is, has anyone else here had a similar experience and know what would be appropriate to charge?
    Thanks in advance for you advice.
    Diana
    Something Shiny Something Sparkly
    Handmade Tiaras & Jewellery by Diana @ dizaTIARAS
    My blog
    Facebook

I've sent you a pm

Hop it helps

Jane
    www.just-soaps.com
    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Diana have you thought about using such invites as a PR /Marketing exercise where you can set up a small display to show off your wares and possibly sell a few or take commissions.. and rather than take a fee accept a travel allowance.
      Just a thought
      Chris xx
      My Website
      My Blog

Comment

Hi Chris
        Thank you for the advice. The first demonstration/talk that I did, I handed back the fee to their charity because I managed to sell a few items, so yes that is a good idea also but I dont want to put the ladies under pressure to purchase my stuff just so they dont have to pay a fee. Transport is being provided if I dont have my car, which is a strong possibility at this time. Jane has suggested a fee that is similar to what I am thinking along the lines of but I am still interested to hear from anyone else who has had this experience.
        Di
        Something Shiny Something Sparkly
        Handmade Tiaras & Jewellery by Diana @ dizaTIARAS
        My blog
        Facebook

Comment

Working...
        X