Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colchester's Medieval Oyster Fayre is this weekend!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colchester's Medieval Oyster Fayre is this weekend!

This is a lovely medieval fayre, held in the grounds of Colchester Castle, with all sorts of things to do and see... and eat & drink!

It's very picturesque, with medieval tents and people in costume as exhibitors, crafters and with re-enactment groups, and archery and swordfioghting contests. You can have a try at archery yourself too, and there's games for the kids as well. There's storytelling and mummers, swordfighting and wrestrling and archery, falconry and music and song, plus lots and lots of medieval tents selling all manner of lovely handcrafted goods, for a pretty low entry fee. There's also people selling handicraft materials as well, like veg-tan leather, furs and wools and materials by the bolt, and tools for leatherworking and such. Plus handmade leather tankards, hand-turned wooden goods and potteryware... and the wonderful wares of the swordcrafters and bowyers... and so on... sigh...!

I have a little stall there too, with the pyro pieces - do come and say Hi, and you can leave your gear with me if there's space under the stall!
    http://www.oysterfayre.flyer.co.uk/billoffayre.html

Colchester's Medieval Oyster Fayre :
    ================================================== ===========
    Colchester’s first History Fayre of the modern era took place in 1989, and commemorated the 800th anniversary of the granting of a Royal Charter to the town in 1189. Since then our Medieval Fayres have become a tradition, and are now famous as major public events in the Eastern Counties.
    Each June we stage a full medieval style fair, with many of the peripheral activities that this major annual event of the period would have offered. It remembers a time when folk from the countryside and neighbouring villages would travel to the ‘Big Fair’ in the town.
    We set our fair in the period 15th to 16th century. We are not be able to offer the traditional street fair in the town, due to the limitations of the High Street, so we gather together on Lower Castle Park all the colour and activities of an historic, traditional country fair that we can muster.
    Wander through the tented avenues of over 50 medieval merchants' stalls, trading everything from a handmade brass pin to a full suit of armour. Each trader is carefully chosen, so that only true merchandise suitable for the traditional market is provided. Maybe a great wheel for spinning, or linen for making clothes, new bowls for cooking, or leather to repair shoes. All will be there and on sale.
    Enjoy encampment and arena activities including displays of armed combat, archery, falconry, cannon drill and living history. Also entertainment by Mummers, dance groups, wandering musicians, traditional street players, puppet masters and storytellers. At the Festival there will be a tourney ring or combat area, where we stage hand-to-hand armed combat, demonstrating the use of various weapons and armour, with a referee to ensure that things don't get out of hand. Visitors will have the opportunity to try on armour and feel the weapons, such as bill and poleaxe, at first hand. The true weight of a mail shirt never ceases to amaze!
    Plus lots of traditional food and a fine beer tent as well.
    ================================================== ===========

http://www.oysterfayre.flyer.co.uk/whatisit2007.html

Here's some photos :
    http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=oyster%20fayre&w=all

See you there?
    Cheers,
    Scorch

Scorch's Pyrography : www.scorchpyro.co.uk
    Crafts on Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanniso...7606138937826/

Will see you there Scorch!
    I've got a little tent there too. What a lie. It's quite a big tent.
    Pray for sun, pray for sun, pray for sun. Please. I've done enough hurricanes and tornados for this year.
    It is a super fair everyone. Great fun. One of my favourites. Loads for the kids to do and it's in a lovely park with a super castle and... and... and...come and see

Just the Annie not the Anna
    www.anniethepedlar.com

Comment

What a fantastic event! Sounds great. Good luck to Scorch, AnnieAnna and anyone else who's there. I'd love to visit something like that but unfortunately I'm working this weekend.

Si.
      Wood Tattoos
      Decorative Pyrography for all Occasions - Author of "Woodburning with Style" (2010) and "Learn to Burn" (2013)
      Facebook
      Flickr
      Twitter

Comment

It does sound great. I suppose only living "down the road" as it were, I have no excuse not to come!

Best of luck both of you (and anyone else there) I will try and get there is at all possible and will say hello!
        Diane
        Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

ohhh so wish our car was up to travelling down there this weekend, will send the inlaws
          good luck to all
          Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes CAN change your life !!

my website http://www.ticketyboo-jewellery.co.uk
          my misi shop http://ticketyboo.misi.me.uk
          my blog http://ticketyboojewellery.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by AnnieAnna View Post
            Pray for sun, pray for sun, pray for sun. Please.
            Ummm I'll pray for you but having seen the weather forcast here I think you'll have to have more than a forum of crafters praying Oh well, they've been very good at getting it wrong lately so fingers crossed.

I'll tell my brother and his family to pop down if they have time as they live in Colchester
            Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Hush girl! I know the forcast. I don't want to believe it.
              Sings: Clacton is drier than the Sarhara dessert.... tra la la la la......
              Thinks: Colchester is near Clacton..............

Hums to my self : At the Oyster Fayre 'urricanes 'ardly ever 'appen....

AnnieAnna

Comment

And even when it does chuck it down, it's still a nice day out! Remember last year, when it tipped it down, and there were still lots of people there, and we had a good time nevertheless? After all, the tents and marquees keep the rain out...

But let's hope for a nice weekend, when it's truly glorious there!
                Cheers,
                Scorch

Comment

Yeah yeah. That's it! When it rains come and shelter in Scorch's and my tent
                  AnnieAnna

Comment

Oh yes indeed. Come and hang around with us. Annie has one of those lovely medieval tents, I believe, and I'm in one of the big white marquees.
                    You can watch me burn stuff, as I'll have the machine with me. And you can even unofficially have a go, if you promise not to sue me should you manage to burn your finger!
                    Cheers,
                    Scorch

Comment

It was lovely. It's a bit splattered with mud after the Derbyshire hurricane

I'm so glad you are in a big marquee, Scorch. I was getting a bit worried when you said little stall

AnnieAnna

PS
                      Are they doing the local oysters, white wine and local strawberries with clotted cream and scones? That was good......

And yumminess of the highest order - Angela the Gingerbread Lady will be there.

I thought Martin was going but can't see his name. His mulled wine warms the cockles of your heart.
                      If the Wise Woman is there her hot mead with elderflower is scrumptious.
                      Lots of fudge, I see......
                      and is that Big Sam running the beer tent? He gets good ones in.......

Ha ha who cares about the rain. We'll have a feast instead.

Comment

I didnt know this was happening and im only half an hr away,im tempted to go if the weathers nice.It could be quite educational for the kids as well as good for me I love fayres.
                        Will you be doing commissions while your there scorch?
                        www.veedubzhome.co.uk

Www.veedubz.etsy.com

Comment

Oh, I have a couple of tables in one of the big while non-authentic marquee wossnames, Annie. I don't have a lovely medieval tent, sadly.

Heheh - last year I was mud up to my KNICKERS by the Sunday evening... but that's what you get for sploshing around in a long dress and unsuitable sandals, I guess! Must take some boots this time, just in case.

I'm getting hungry just thinking about all the yummies there... you bad, bad woman! Martin the Meat isn't there, I believe, but my pals Wild Dutch are there in his stead with lots of his meat and their own mushrooms and spices too. Keiterin will be there with their Tudor hogroast pavilion, and there's a new place doing BBQed Wild Boar, Venison & Rabbit Burgers, as well as that excellent icecream man, with his trader specials! And the traditional oysters, for those that like them...

If nobody else has mead, come & see me, as I have a couple of bottles stashed away, and a horn to drink it from too...
                          Cheers,
                          Scorch

Comment

Originally posted by your theme View Post
                            I didnt know this was happening and im only half an hr away,im tempted to go if the weathers nice.It could be quite educational for the kids as well as good for me I love fayres.
                            Will you be doing commissions while your there scorch?
                            Heya! It's surely a nice day out, even if the weather's not perfect. Lots of tents to browse round. And the Living History people put on a great display, are always happy to explain what they're doing, and let you have a go at spinning and lucetting and so on. Many people have their medieval tents open to view, too, with the period beds and furniture and such.

I will have the pyro machine with me, will be burning on the day, and I can add names to the items I've left unfinsihed deliberately. I can also make small freehand stuff like badges and keyrings, but will only be able to take future orders for "proper" commissions that need design work.

Hope to see you there - do say Hi and remind me of your name if you do, eh? I'm TERRIBLE with names...
                            Cheers,
                            Scorch

Comment

And there was me thinking lugging those boxes and baskets and sacks would get me slim. What was I thinking of.

Your Theme - yes there's educational but if you come on Saturday Absolom's doing the Seige of Troy - with a cast of thousands - hopefully of his vegetable puppets. He's hilarious. He has me in stitches every time!

AnnieAnna

Comment

Working...
                              X