Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i know,i know...

Hello

i know,i know your all probably sick of hearing my sob story of not being able to find a job lol

but i just wanted to ask one more time really,before i get down to the serious prospect of applying for office jobs ect ...if anyone has a shop/buisness in wigan,sothport,preston or surrounding areas that could do with an extra pair of little creative hands i would love you forever . I'm 18 years old,and have nearly finished college where i have been studying fine art and i am an extremly eager beaver hehe

many thanks again

Ellen

other people may have suggested this but have you thought about trying local schools, after schools clubs and youth centres etc....with the big school holidays looming and alot of children now in school clubs they may want an eager and willing helper with a creative background.
    It will of course involve having a CRB check and they can be quite slow moving but it's worth a thought.........

plus it would look excellent on a CV
    Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes CAN change your life !!

my website http://www.ticketyboo-jewellery.co.uk
    my misi shop http://ticketyboo.misi.me.uk
    my blog http://ticketyboojewellery.blogspot.com/

Comment

hello

i've looked into holiday clubs ect and spoke to 2 local schools,the response i've got is that it tends to be nursery workers and teaching assistants that take on the role of helping out,also as i would only be a voluntary worker i would have to have a criminal check and they are not prepared to do that for someone who is not being paid and could leave when they like...The cheek!! lol

Ellen

x

Comment

If you are interested in working with young people you could look at charity funding for setting up a local project teaching young people various arts and crafts skills.

There are often local funding opportunities (especially in inner cities but occasionally for engaging rural communities in projects).

Funding of this kind tends to be aimed at particular groups of young people - such as Children in Care; Young Offenders etc and Youth Offending Teams have quite a bit of funding which they may or may not use for these types of projects.

You would need to plan it quite carefully with very clear objectives (look at the Every Child Matters objectives) but things such as Building Self Esteem through creativity is a bit of a buzz issue at the moment.

You could contact your local Social Services; Connexions; Youth Offedning Teams; Youth and Community services etc as a starting point.

HTH and good luck

Jude
        for bath bomb, soap & Skincare kits
        plus Soap Base, Bath Bomb Ingredients, Butters,
        Oils and packaging for Bath & Body Products

Comment

oh okay,i will give that a look into

thank you very much for the help!!

Ellen

x

Comment

Originally posted by Ellen2191 View Post
            hello

,also as i would only be a voluntary worker i would have to have a criminal check and they are not prepared to do that for someone who is not being paid and could leave when they like...The cheek!! lol

Ellen

x
            I don't know, the process is a bit of a rigmarole and they have to do it for every worker so I don't think of it as that much of a cheek. For a business it's just anther load of admin work they have to do. I can understand your frustration though

Pete
            "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
            Facebook

Website

Comment

i didn't mean it in a rude way,my sister is a nursery worker so i completly understand the checks ect they have to go through,its just the manner and attitude people take with you on the phone sometimes,politeness costs nothing as my mum says!

Ellen
              x

Comment

I used to do playschemes every summer when i was at school/uni. The local Council arranges loads in loads of the villages. It may be worth calling the local council's leisure service as they are the ones who do it.
                www.AREjewellery.etsy.com
                http://arehandmadejewellery.blogspot.com/
                http://www.folksy.com/shops/AREjewellery

Comment

okay thank you

Ellen
                  x

Comment

Good luck with your search - don't give up, these things are hotly fought over as you already know no doubt but keep contacting schools etc - what about artist residencies? Go for them even if they mean travelling because your C.V. will then speak for itself and each door opens another etc.

You could also get your own CRB check certificate - when I was still teaching part-time I got my own via a teaching agency so that it could move with me (as it was I stayed in one place anyway lol) - it wasn't outrageously expensive but it can be slow. It's well worth showing it if you hope to be involved in art projects in schools etc, will show professionalism and commitment (and they'll remember that you've already got one so can be contacted last minute for fill-in work), they don't want the headache of sorting it out for you if you're only there on temp. basis. Also if you want to set up your own workshops for young people etc then this along with insurance will give you appropriate clearance and cover.

All the best - there is work out there, it's not an easy route but so much fun too!

Fi
                    Last edited by inkyprints; 31-05-2009, 01:45 PM.
                    www.artistsandillustrators.co.uk/FionaHumphrey (portfolio page)

Comment

Hello again Ellen, just thinking of you yesterday because although we are miles away in Lincolnshire there was an advertisement for a craft worker to help arrange craft activities at an old folks home. Is this something you have come across up there? If not pehaps you could contact your local homes and ask whether they might consider you running weekly workshops for them, I think again the CRB check might be an issue but not insurmountable and you could go to different homes each day, say one in the morning and one in the afternoon, work your own hours and the work would be really rewarding I'm sure. Let me know how you get on

Karen
                      Karen
                      www.angelicfolk.co.uk
                      Bespoke clothing for your little angels
                      http://angelicfolk.etsy.com
                      http://www.facebook.com/#!/angelic.folk?ref=profile

Comment

its worrying that i send so many threads about jobs that people actually start to think of me lol but saying that it is definatly a good thing in another way

that is one possibility i have never thought of to be honest,and yes i agree it would be completly rewarding to do something like that

I'll loook into it,and post anything that comes up!

Thanks for the help

x

Comment

Inkyprints- Thanks for the help and advice,i'm actually looking into artist in residence at the moment on a website.

I agree it is seeming to be a very difficult industry to squeeze into but it will definatly be worth it at the end

Thanks again for the help

Ellen
                          x

Comment

spent the last 3 days emailing people and no-one wants me

when is someone guna give me a break *sighhhhssss*

Comment

Originally posted by Ellen2191 View Post
                              spent the last 3 days emailing people and no-one wants me

when is someone guna give me a break *sighhhhssss*
                              Join the club.

Comment

Working...
                              X