Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you find....

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Do you find....

    that after a while, you only ever want to buy hand crafted items!

    We are looking for a garden bench, and we don't have much money (none in fact, we are saving up). Anyway, I was looking through Argos, and I kept saying, no no, they look really rubbish made. I'm not parting with my hard saved cash for something that's going to break in a couple of months!

    We went to our garden centre, and my sister was looking at some of the benches there. They were quite a lot of money, and she was complaining about the price. I pointed out that they had obviously been made by a carpenter, used much better quality wood and I think would take a long time to create! I also pointed out they would last for years and years, they are really well made.

    It the same with christmas presents. I am completely fed up of the commer******ation of christmas and birthday presents, and after reading so many of your posts about what you make for friends and family, it has inspired me to either make them myself, or buy something from a fellow crafter as a gift instead! I am so fed up with plastic toys that break after a week, don't inspire anyone and aren't really that attractive!

    Anyone else feel the same....we need a toilet seat and a new curtain pole too...think I might set up my own wood shop!!!!!
    My Website www.rheadesigns.co.uk

    My Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dumfri...4443824?ref=ts

    My Blog
    http://rheadesigns.blogspot.com/

  • #2
    I completely agree with you... I won't use shop bought if I can get handmade!!

    We're already on the look out for handcrafted baby stuff as although we know it might be a little more expensive then I'd much rather go for unique, quality items!!

    As for Christmas, I too will be continuing to either handcrafted or buy handcrafted gifts this year

    Comment


    • #3
      Me too - and my OH. It gets us into trouble sometimes, though, as it sometimes takes forever for OH to get his act together
      "I was inoculated, very early in life, against all forms of magic and elfin whimsy, even when convincingly disguised as literature." Clive James
      Click the scales- rep points are for life, not just for Xmas!
      http://madlyswaps.blogspot.com/

      Comment


      • #4
        Joining this forum has really opened my eyes to the amazing handcrafted things out there. I'm planning to buy as many birthday and Christmas presents from members of the forum and local craft fairs as possible this year. I've even started a list of the things that I'm going to get!

        Keep up the good work everyone!

        Emma.
        Paperbuzz
        Adding a little magic to your celebrations


        www.noths.com/paperbuzz

        Comment


        • #5
          Me too! Last year I bought all my Christmas pressies from people who made them themselves and we had brilliant stuff, unique, beautiful etc - just what you'd expect from fellow craft workers. It's also much nicer than braving nasty shopping malls. And if I want people to buy our hand made stuff (including baby stuff) then it's only fair that I buy hand made stuff too

          Michelle
          Michelle and Colin
          The Rainbow Sheep

          http://therainbowsheep.blogspot.com/

          Comment


          • #6
            It's good, isn't it, that so many people are into handcrafted items. I think this is being reflected in Craft Fairs too, which have suffered for a long time because there was such a lot of tat allowed at them. It seems to me there is now a movement towards proper craft fairs again, which is good for us all.

            Celia
            Celia
            I can't be creative and tidy too
            www.jencel.co.uk for beads, findings and threads
            The Occasional Sheffield Bead Shop
            Jencel on Facebook

            Comment


            • #7
              I agree totally- handmade is the way to go. You can really see the care and attention that goes into a handmade item, and by buying handmade its shows the person you are giving to that you put time and effort in their gift. There are so many talented people out there and I think its great to support them!

              JD
              www.doylejewellerydesign.blogspot.com

              www.twitter.com/jendoylebridal

              thank you if you click the scales to give me rep points!

              Comment


              • #8
                I agree, I really love buying something that has been handcrafted. I still get a huge happy feeling when I put an item I've sold into the post too

                I know what you mean about your bench too. When we married we were given some money and we bought a garden bench with it from a company that was a business made up of blind people who handmade the benches anbd garden furniture
                themselves. The quality of the bench was amazing, the woodwork on it is fantastic and is still going strong 8 years on, all we've done is give it a revarnsih last year
                I love my bench and think of it as very special
                http://www.samigailsgifts.co.uk/
                Handmade personalised gifts for all occasions created by the art of pyrography
                My Facebook

                Comment


                • #9
                  I totally agree with everyone, last year 80% of my christmas presents were bought at all the craft fairs i have attended . In fact a beautiful local print i bought for my mum was so admired by my sister she wants one by the same artist this year .
                  I met some wonderful people whilst doing my shopping and got to learn how the product was made and the love that went into making it...you can't get that on the high street !. I've already started shopping for this christmas and have a nice little stash already

                  As well as buying off fellow crafters , this forum has made me more confident to try my hand at other crafts thanks to the good advice given in all the threads, so before i buy something i now think " can i make it or do i know someone who can ?"
                  Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes CAN change your life !!

                  my website http://www.ticketyboo-jewellery.co.uk
                  my misi shop http://ticketyboo.misi.me.uk
                  my blog http://ticketyboojewellery.blogspot.com/



                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I think with us having less cash (like everyone!) it has really made us think about what we buy. As we buy less items we simply don't need, I am able to assess easily the items we have bought in the last few months that are all breaking now! My children have hardly any of the toys they were bought for christmas, and one toy in particular, was a car (a famous Disney car and it's been in the bin for a few months now. All the plastic cracked and the wires were poking out everywhere. My kids are pretty harsh on toys, but this toy was nearly £20, and that was half price!!!! He also has a wooden ambulance, it's not fancy, it doesn't have loads of lights and motorised action, but it is still in one piece and encourages him to use his imagination!

                    I have difficulty buying for my friends children, they are all teenage lassies, but there are so many gorgeous handcrafted items I don't think I'll have a problem this year. I am making up 'Parents Night In' baskets for my sisters and their husbands, and I'm going to make throws and matching cushions for my nieces and nephews. I think some of the pyrography items sold on here are fab, and will provide gifts for everyone else I need to buy. I'm also spending less on my own children, they just get far too much!!!

                    I would rather pay a little more, and get a quality item made properly, than pay for some rubbish from the high street. Since I started coming here, there are soooo many handcrafted items I didn't even know you could buy!!!! From kitchen utensils with pyrography, to clothing, toys, jewellery, the list is endless!!!! There are so many lovely items I want to buy, and as I am selling a load of stuff on ebay this week, once I have a healthier paypal balance I am going to start a little early christmas shopping. I have a couple of items I put by when they were in the January sales for family, and I think I am going to sell them too and put the money to something more beautiful!!!
                    My Website www.rheadesigns.co.uk

                    My Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dumfri...4443824?ref=ts

                    My Blog
                    http://rheadesigns.blogspot.com/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by beckyboo View Post
                      I totally agree with everyone, last year 80% of my christmas presents were bought at all the craft fairs i have attended . In fact a beautiful local print i bought for my mum was so admired by my sister she wants one by the same artist this year .
                      I met some wonderful people whilst doing my shopping and got to learn how the product was made and the love that went into making it...you can't get that on the high street !. I've already started shopping for this christmas and have a nice little stash already

                      As well as buying off fellow crafters , this forum has made me more confident to try my hand at other crafts thanks to the good advice given in all the threads, so before i buy something i now think " can i make it or do i know someone who can ?"
                      I guess I have been lucky at times...

                      As a child I lived in Singapore and Hong Kong. As many of you know, 30-40 years ago labour was cheap there, and skill levels high.. so for 4 years my Mum and Dad only had hand made shoes, tailored clothes. Most of my clothes were miniature replicas of my dads.. if he had something made, one was made for me too.

                      I guess that I had it instilled from an early age that things don't have to be chosen from the mass produced.. though it is far more expensive to do so usually..

                      Even so, when I was 17 I commissioned a sculpture for my mother as a christmas present; and I have always purchased gifts for friends and family with great care - not only choosing something I think they would love, but also something I like, in case I ever got one back! Often Craft fairs and artisans have something unique and interesting so they are always my first port of call.

                      Sadly, not everybody thinks that way - my MiL wouldn't thank you for a unique hand crafted gift (come to think of it, she is an ungracious..... who wouldnt thank you for the time of day!).. and some folk are obsessed with "cost" - either valuing a friendship based on how much you spend.. (there was a thread here about "looking up a gift on the internet to see what was spent!) or even worse, by assessing what they think the gift is "worth".. and some very very sadly have the view "why have a hand made one when you can have a proper one!"

                      As I get older, I find myself dropping people I don't enjoy buying for off the list! and to heck with the consequences!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by sparkysdad View Post
                        I guess I have been lucky at times...

                        As a child I lived in Singapore and Hong Kong. As many of you know, 30-40 years ago labour was cheap there, and skill levels high.. so for 4 years my Mum and Dad only had hand made shoes, tailored clothes. Most of my clothes were miniature replicas of my dads.. if he had something made, one was made for me too.

                        I guess that I had it instilled from an early age that things don't have to be chosen from the mass produced.. though it is far more expensive to do so usually..

                        Even so, when I was 17 I commissioned a sculpture for my mother as a christmas present; and I have always purchased gifts for friends and family with great care - not only choosing something I think they would love, but also something I like, in case I ever got one back! Often Craft fairs and artisans have something unique and interesting so they are always my first port of call.

                        Sadly, not everybody thinks that way - my MiL wouldn't thank you for a unique hand crafted gift (come to think of it, she is an ungracious..... who wouldnt thank you for the time of day!).. and some folk are obsessed with "cost" - either valuing a friendship based on how much you spend.. (there was a thread here about "looking up a gift on the internet to see what was spent!) or even worse, by assessing what they think the gift is "worth".. and some very very sadly have the view "why have a hand made one when you can have a proper one!"

                        As I get older, I find myself dropping people I don't enjoy buying for off the list! and to heck with the consequences!

                        well put sparky ( wont let me rep you )

                        My gran was a very "old" gran having had her own children late in life ,we had a family joke of dont buy anything gran will knit it for you..I have always appreciated how much time and love goes into handmade items..like you sparky I have family members who wouldn't appreciate a handmade item , these get very little thought put into their presents and normally end up with vouchers , I normally choose presents very carefully for people.
                        my sister summed it up well this christmas she said " becky may not always remember your birthday ( i don't !) but she gives such wonderful christmas presents you have to forgive her "

                        might start a wish list for my family this year directing them to members web/etsy/misi pages
                        Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes CAN change your life !!

                        my website http://www.ticketyboo-jewellery.co.uk
                        my misi shop http://ticketyboo.misi.me.uk
                        my blog http://ticketyboojewellery.blogspot.com/



                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by beckyboo View Post
                          might start a wish list for my family this year directing them to members web/etsy/misi pages
                          Great idea.. Back in the days when I got gifts (I ask for "none" these days) I would always add where something was for sale, web sites and cost! - some of mine were a bit "lazy".. and so best to do the legwork, rather than risk another poorly knitted teapot cosy in garish acrylic wool.. ( I dont even drink tea!)

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I like this thread, very much. It's heartwarming to hear all these comments. I know we're all crafty people on here, and so will always appreciate the work of others, but there are signs all over the place of a movement away from mass produced stuff.

                            Celia
                            Celia
                            I can't be creative and tidy too
                            www.jencel.co.uk for beads, findings and threads
                            The Occasional Sheffield Bead Shop
                            Jencel on Facebook

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by jencel View Post
                              I like this thread, very much. It's heartwarming to hear all these comments. I know we're all crafty people on here, and so will always appreciate the work of others, but there are signs all over the place of a movement away from mass produced stuff.

                              Celia
                              Well, it has been around in principle for 120 years.. it was the basis of the Arts and Crafts movement with folk like John Ruskin, William Morris and the like..

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X