Grout colour for mosaic coasters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grout colour for mosaic coasters?

I'm in the middle of making some new coasters but I'm a bit stuck on what colour grout to use?

When I posted my photo frames recently a few people suggested using coloured grout, to make them look less 'bathroomy'.

So, as a trial run I've done some pink coasters with pink grout and also some green coasters but stuck with the white grout, to compare them. I've asked my BF's opinion but he said he's not a good one to ask, as pink isn't his colour!

What do you all think? Do I stick with white or use coloured tomatch the colour in with the coasters? Another idea I've had is to use grey grout, but I think this may only work with darker colours, such as black, grey and white and possible purple and dark blue?

Anyway, here are some pics - they are only half made at the moment so please ignore the grouting as it's not quite finished!

Last edited by Katianne; 04-05-2009, 06:40 PM.
    Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Personally I prefer the white grout. Not much to add really except that I think it looks 'cleaner' but maybe I'm not typical
    Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Do you know what, I was one of those who thought it would look nice to have a go of coloured grout, but now that you've done some I think the white does look neater and cleaner. I like the pale pink though, so maybe the paler colours would work but now that I see it again I do prefer the the white...sorry about that.
      Facebook page, Cottage Charms & Cards: http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...20677888001883

Comment

the white is much nicer

how about white tiles and brightly coloured grout?
        www.rocksforfrocks.co.uk
        http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rocks-For-Frocks/230802980887

Comment

I like the white grout - sorry to be boring. I really feel it offsets the tiles the best.
          I was given a vase set with beautiful blue mosaic but it has grey grout and I really wish it was white!
          Terry xxx
          You can't have everything. Where would you put it all?" - Steven Wright
          Website Twitter Facebook Blog Folksy

Comment

I prefer the white.

Please don't take offence by what I am going to say as I offer it purely as advice (having been there, done that) if you are going to use colour grout you have to make sure it compliments and does not compete with your tiles. The pink you have used seems to clash with the red and pink tiles and competes with them rather than complimenting.

I can suggest an excellent book called Mosaic Techniques by Emma Biggs (published by Cassell and printed in Singapore) which has some good hints and tips regarding colour combinations those colours which compliment and contrast. I dont think it is available to buy any more but you should be able to get it from the library.
            Diane
            Reach for the moon-if you miss-you'll still be amongst stars

Comment

I think the pink grout looks good with the coaster with the dark and pale pink squares, but think the pink and white coaster might look better with white grout. I like the green coasters as they are, though I can see why some people might think they look a bit bathroomy.
              View my flickr

'I am sure it must hurt your eyes to work filigree by candlelight.' - Jane Austen

Comment

This is purely my personal taste. I only share it as there are possibly others out there who think the same.

Whilst I love mosaic work as a rule I can't get my head around this particular style. It says bathroom and kitchen to me. Probably because it is so geometric. The quality of workmanship can't be faulted nor the various colour choices, it's purely the chequered patterning that does it for me. Different shaped tiles or perhaps a more diverse patterning, if not instead of then perhaps as an alternative.

Pete
                "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
                Facebook

Website

Comment

Originally posted by bodrighy View Post
                  Different shaped tiles or perhaps a more diverse patterning, if not instead of then perhaps as an alternative.

Pete
                  Thanks for this Pete - I really appreciate your honesty. I did play around with the tiles when I made the coasters and wasn't sure what sort of pattern to go for. These are the first I've made so I really really glad of the feedback, as I can take it back to my craft room.

Also, talking about other shapes, I've managed to find my wheeled cutters today, so will be experimenting with these at some point over the nest few weeks! I'm also getting the urge to smash some tiles up soon I think .
                  Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

Whew glad you took it the right way, it's just that you obviously have the skill and cradftsmenship and perhaps I have only seen a little of what you can do. Look forward to seeing some more of your work

Pete
                    "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
                    Facebook

Website

Comment

I would like to see black with pink grout, think that would look yummy
                      Kitty11
                      http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/album.php?u=14964

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kittyx11/

Comment

Originally posted by bodrighy View Post
                        This is purely my personal taste. I only share it as there are possibly others out there who think the same.

Whilst I love mosaic work as a rule I can't get my head around this particular style. It says bathroom and kitchen to me. Probably because it is so geometric. The quality of workmanship can't be faulted nor the various colour choices, it's purely the chequered patterning that does it for me. Different shaped tiles or perhaps a more diverse patterning, if not instead of then perhaps as an alternative.

Pete
                        Hmm mine too - each to their own, but I "see" tile samples rather than coaster.. (I am no great arbiter of taste!) just a "personal" view!!

Like the others, the pink on pink doesnt quite work for me.. but as moonbeam angel said, it may be the pink is the wrong pink for grout!!

Definitley think there is scope for coloured grouts, but perhaps with less perfectly geometric patterns? go on, cut and smash a few.. you already said you want to!

Comment

Quote:
                          Originally Posted by bodrighy
                          Different shaped tiles or perhaps a more diverse patterning, if not instead of then perhaps as an alternative.

Pete

Thanks for this Pete - I really appreciate your honesty. I did play around with the tiles when I made the coasters and wasn't sure what sort of pattern to go for. These are the first I've made so I really really glad of the feedback, as I can take it back to my craft room.

Also, talking about other shapes, I've managed to find my wheeled cutters today, so will be experimenting with these at some point over the nest few weeks! I'm also getting the urge to smash some tiles up soon I think .
                          Mmmmm . . I seem to think I might have asked this before . . I am blonde tho! . . do you cut your own glass? . . I think you may have said that sometimes you do and sometimes you buy glass tiles already cut to size?? . . you can get small circle cutters which will cut down to 1/2 inch in diameter and up to 5 inches in diameter which are very easy to operate . . http://www.warm-glass.co.uk/Shop/Pro...ProductId=1211 . . works best with 3mm glass . . but can be used on thicker glass . . just needs more care breaking out your circles! . . This might allow you to do some unusual patterning and combine this with complimenting and contrasting grouts to produce some very unique work.

With a large circle cutter you could even cut whole borders from one piece of glass . . if you do it very carefully of course . . this is a link to a tutorial on cutting glass circles . . it's for kiln forming glass artists . . but it would apply equally to anyone cutting glass circles! .. http://www.system96.com/Pages/CircleDemo/Circle1.html
                          Last edited by dichrofindings; 05-05-2009, 03:11 AM.
                          Gloria

www.dichro-findings.co.uk
                          Etsy Shop
                          Artfire Shop
                          dichro-findings blog

Comment

Doing mosaics myself, I far prefer coloured grout on anything. But that's just my personal preference
                            http://manicmosaics.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Right then, def back to the drawing board. I think I'll put these ones out at the craft event on Saturday just in case anyone takes to them, but in terms of future work I'll experiment with other mediums - glad I found those cutters!

Thanks everyone, this has been really useful.
                              Katian Mosaics

♥ My Ebay Listings ♥

My Facebook Page

Comment

Working...
                              X