Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Absolute and complete novice, please help with advice and direction

Hi

I have gone through many posts on here and sub topics but havent found any on Wall art/ photography. Is this not classed as a craft??
    I have, for some time, enjoyed taking photographs and in my collection of 1000's have many that would look very nice hung on a wall.
    Both of our children are now at school full time and my wife is looking to do something for herself, I see craft fairs as a perfect oppertunity to realize this goal.

Thanks in advance

Ozzie
    www.sovereigncrafts.co.uk

Hi Ozzie,

Welcome to the forum! . . it sounds like an interesting thing you do . . there quite a number of photographers on the forum, but usually it isn't their main craft. I don't see why you and your wife shouldn't give it a go . . there are lots of ways that you could present your work and market it in a crafty way:

Post Cards
    Greetings cards
    Prints
    etc . . and a few more too I'm willing to bet.

This would suit both the craft fair and web site scenario.

Hope you enjoy the forum and don't let a lack of other similar crafts people stop you from doing that.
    Gloria

www.dichro-findings.co.uk
    Etsy Shop
    Artfire Shop
    dichro-findings blog

Comment

Hi there, I used to go to a craft fair down in Dorset and there were a couple of people doing photography, large framed pictures down to smallish a5 ones. Some were changed, to give green sky and purple grass, that sort of thing...and they sold well too.
      Facebook page, Cottage Charms & Cards: http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...20677888001883

Comment

Hello and
        People love good photos and will buy them if they like them - I love taking pics and have loads of my own but I still photo art from others when I see something I love!
        Terry xxx
        You can't have everything. Where would you put it all?" - Steven Wright
        Website Twitter Facebook Blog Folksy

Comment

Originally posted by Sovereign Crafts View Post
          Hi

I have gone through many posts on here and sub topics but havent found any on Wall art/ photography. Is this not classed as a craft??
          I have, for some time, enjoyed taking photographs and in my collection of 1000's have many that would look very nice hung on a wall.
          Both of our children are now at school full time and my wife is looking to do something for herself, I see craft fairs as a perfect oppertunity to realize this goal.

Thanks in advance

Ozzie
          Keep looking, or try the "search" facility.. there are a couple of folk who do photographic based art.. but don't feel left out because there aren't many, rejoice in the fact you are less likely to have competition!

I dont "sell" I only craft for amusement.. but I make cards almost exclusively based on manipulated images (using photoshop elements).. and I am not the only one who incorporates the digital image in to the finished item...

I think you do have a price issue as a business - folk tend to buy a "nice" mass produced image from IKEA and the like for a few £££'s so getting them to fork out more may be a slight struggle, though there will always be the ones who love the fact your work is unique and limited..

I would also look at ways of making it affordable with cards, bookmarks and other perhaps loss leading small items which folk can "buy in to" while they become seduced in to the bigger "one off" purchases!

Comment

Thank you all very much for your advice.

Being 'wet behind the ears' on this, we where aiming at tourists that come to the cotswolds. We live in the heart of the cotswolds and as such have some wonderfull photos of the land in all its beauty. This was in fact what brought me to this forum as saw Apple Tree Craft Fairs host regulary at Chipping Norton and was thinking of going to Stow on the Wold. Both of which are very close to us.
            Ikea and the like charge in the region on £10 - £40 for a mass produced stck photo that could be anywhere in the world. Doing some rough costings we can produce an A3 original photograph in a nice frame for approximately £20 (cost to us, No profit). So selling price wouldnt be to far of mass marketed. Ikeas cheap prints dont come in frames.
            We are not looking at this being a substainable income just a few extra pennies.
            Thank you for reading my ramblings and hope i am not intruding or being wildly optomistic. All advice welcome, even if I dont really want to hear it
            Ozzie

Comment

Originally posted by Sovereign Crafts View Post
              We are not looking at this being a substainable income just a few extra pennies.
              Thank you for reading my ramblings and hope i am not intruding or being wildly optomistic. All advice welcome, even if I dont really want to hear it
              Ozzie
              Why on earth not?! Common sense says if you are going to invest time on prints, being at craft fairs and the like, you should reap the financial rewards for your time.. it is the same amount of effort to get set up to sell one print as it is one thousand.. Even if your target was a few hundred pounds profit from each event, better to plan for it in a professional way.. why not let your hobby/interest fund nice holidays, new clothes and a case of nice wine now and then? Better to aim for £300 profit and "fail" when you only make £150, than to aim for £40 and make £55!!

It is good to see you have done your research on the competition, and you are already clear about your business having a unique selling point, you're a good way along the path to a professional approach.

I think many folk who do earn a living and more from a craft they enjoy will tell you that "the business" is far more rewarding than money..

As for intruding.. the whole point is to intrude, get support, give support, learn new things, try different ideas, and get feedback.. you wouldn't be the only one who was "wet behind the ears"... plenty of folk are either just setting up, or only just beginning to think about the possibility.. Though there are skilled professional business folk here too, most remember being where you are now I am sure!

Comment

Made a first step and started a shop on Misi, thanks all on here for pointing me to it

Very basic but its a good source to get my images out there so to speak. And a 20p a listing very economical

Cant post URLs so look for sovereign crafts in photographic gifts

lots more to add, any advice or critism always wanted

Ozzie, real name Edmund secret it out already

Comment

Well what a difference a month makes!!
                  Had made my first sellwith enquiry of buying for business purposes. Double. Picture that sold was of the Surfer, also had some very positive feedback on my boy walking through the woods

Have now ordered Mr Site as I feel we will be more in charge of our images and easier contactable for customers. We already have an idea what we want our site to looklike and how best to display our photographs. I am again asking for advice and tips of making it look professional and slick. Ive looked at some artisans! sites from here and very impressed with the results.

Ozzie

Comment

A friends husband does African animal photography and yes he goes on safari one or twice a year and the pic's are the genuine article. His photos are beautiful, he sells them framed and unframed on line , at craft fairs. and in galleries. So going back to the original question yes it is an art therefore a craft, not everyone is skilled at taken photos (me being one of them) I say give it a go and good luck.

Comment

Working...
                    X