Ads

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

how important is co.uk, com, biz, org.uk etc???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how important is co.uk, com, biz, org.uk etc???

I am about to buy a new domain name. Chosen the name I would like although its already taken in both .com and .co.uk

However, it is available in

.org.uk
    .me.uk
    .uk.com
    .uk.net
    .eu
    .net
    .tel
    .biz
    .org
    .mobi

Do you think not having a .com or .co.uk site makes a difference to your customers? Personally i would prefer to buy from a .co.uk as somehow it just seems more professional (daft logic i know). What does everyone else think, and also which of the above choices would be the best to choose??

Thanks guys in advance.

forgot to say, althoguh its the same name as the .co.uk and .com they are completely different businesses so no chance at all of potential customers getting us mixed up.

Comment

The question you really have to ask yourself is where is your business going to come from? My brother runs a very succesful website that sells world wide so he selected a domain name ending in .com which is pretty neutral as far as identifying where the site is based.
      I currently have two sites; one with a .co.uk domain and one with a .net domain. The interesting thing is although both sites are aimed primarily at the UK market I get more orders from abroad from the .net site than the .co.uk. Personally speaking, loooking at the available domains you have left I would go for the .net as it is more widely used than the others. Don't forget, just because a site has a .co.uk address doesn't mean it's based in the UK, to be sure you need to check the contact details that should be posted on the site.

Caroline
      silver jewellery at The Silver Jewellery Workshop
      bespoke handmade jewellery
      Silver Jewellery blog
      Handmade Jewellery Blog

Comment

We went for .com although we also got the co.uk which also points at the site. I'd be wary of going for something for which the .co.uk and .com have already gone as, although it may be a different business you'll still find people get mixed up. It might work in your favour as you could pick up some accidental visitors but, if anything negative is posted online about the other site, some people might associate it with your company. Personally I'd try and find a unique name/domain and register both the .co.uk and the .com.
        http://www.stallfinder.com
        Twitter http://www.twitter.com/stallfinder

Comment

Personally I'm a bit funny about these things and when I've thought of good business names before and found that the .com and .co.uk have already been taken I've scrapped the name and started again. When I'm buying online I shy away from anyhting other than .com and .co.uk but might be tempted by .net although I'd be very wary.... But then I do like to be original x
          Lorna x

http://twistedspiral.wordpress.com/ - I've finally ventured into the world of blogging!

Comment

.org usually signifies a charity or non profitmaking site, your best bet is probably .net for reaonsalready given. The others are relatively new ones that have been brought in to cover the demand for web addresses.

Pete
            "Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art" ... Leonardo Da Vinci
            Facebook

Website

Comment

I'd choose another name to be honest....a real pain I know but my feeling is that you really need either dot com or dot uk....or both...

Sorry...it's probably not what you want to hear

Jude
              for bath bomb, soap & Skincare kits
              plus Soap Base, Bath Bomb Ingredients, Butters,
              Oils and packaging for Bath & Body Products

Comment

Originally posted by Bath-Bomb.Com View Post
                I'd choose another name to be honest....a real pain I know but my feeling is that you really need either dot com or dot uk....or both...
                I'd agree. People will automatically type in co.uk or com after the name and when something completely different shows up they may not try again...I know I've done that in the past and thought the site I was looking for no longer existed.

Most of us on here are pretty web savvy but a lot of potential customers may not be and co.uk and com are the most recognised addresses.
                Visit Natty Netty for a huge selection of Iris Folding supplies

Comment

Originally posted by stallfinder View Post
                  We went for .com although we also got the co.uk which also points at the site. I'd be wary of going for something for which the .co.uk and .com have already gone as, although it may be a different business you'll still find people get mixed up. It might work in your favour as you could pick up some accidental visitors but, if anything negative is posted online about the other site, some people might associate it with your company. Personally I'd try and find a unique name/domain and register both the .co.uk and the .com.
                  I'd definitely agree with this... the last thing you need is negative feedback through a site which isn't actually related to you just because they are using the same name.

Comment

I use .co.uk to narrow my search to shops in the UK as I usually want them to post whatever I am after, yesterday, and get annoyed when I find out the shop is based in America.

I have taken .co.uk and .com for all 'my' (8) websites (bar one) but have given up with the other endings are there are too many now.
                    The bar one declined because of penny pinching/being skint/we were site building on a shoestring - and now regrets it. Customers do get confused.

With my last site I did consider web addresses where someone had evilly bought up the name but was not using it....they were offering it back at an inflated price - but in the end we went for one that was exclusively ours.

I don't think there are rights or wrongs, just consequences - and the goal posts keep moving

AnnieAnna

Comment

thanks everyone for your replies. I think I will just try think of a new name, rather than risk people accidentally going to the .com or .co.uk version of the same site by accident.

Comment

Try and get .com and .co.uk

As mentioned .co.uk if for UK sites and .com is for the USA / world..

Forget all the rest if you setting up a shop..

Being found is the key and a .co.uk will rank higher in google.co.uk vs a .com but if you want US customers the go for the .com ..

If you have time make 2 sites one .co.uk and .com and focus content prices etc. 1 one the uk and 1 on the usa..

Promote your craft site today : Add Your CRAFTS
                        (£5.50 a month or £50 per year)

Fun new blog: Snowboard Stuff

Comment

Business names and domain names are really important.
                          This website is a brilliant resource fo finding out who is already using the name you have chosen and what domain names etc are available.

When the page opens ignore the video of the woman talking and click on the search button in the top left corner. Then put in your chosen name and wait for the results.

As for .co.uk and .com etc they are have quite specific meanings depending on your organisation/company. I use .co.uk but I am looking to start selling worldwide so therefore I will look at .com

One thing to mention is that .com sites will not appear in the google listings for 'uk search only' where as .co.uk will. There are some more compicated rules regarding this, but I won't pretned to know them all.

I would also say that it is best to have your business name as close to your domain name as possible. If someone remembers your business name they will undoubtably search for it using .co.uk or .com but would be unlikely to search throught all the different endings available until they find you!

Best of luck
                          Pink Giraffe
                          www.pinkgiraffe.co.uk
                          email me here

Comment

Originally posted by Pink Giraffe View Post
                            One thing to mention is that .com sites will not appear in the google listings for 'uk search only' where as .co.uk will. There are some more compicated rules regarding this, but I won't pretned to know them all.

I don't think this can be true - if you use Google to search "bath bomb kits" my site is number one for both 'the web' and 'pages from UK'.....Also I have often found that searching pages from the UK will (inevitably) bring up a lot of dotcom sites from the USA (especially)...

for bath bomb, soap & Skincare kits
                            plus Soap Base, Bath Bomb Ingredients, Butters,
                            Oils and packaging for Bath & Body Products

Comment

Alhough I will post abroad, I prefer UK sales, so I went for .co.uk

I prefer buying from the UK as much as possible, so when I search for something I want to buy I add UK into my search terms to pull up as many UK sites as I can.

Just my tuppence worth - hope it helps
                              My Website www.rheadesigns.co.uk

My Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dumfri...4443824?ref=ts

My Blog
                              http://rheadesigns.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X