This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• read this if you want this forum to survive

OK, I'VE NOT BEEN POSTING MUCH RECENTLY. Thats because Ive not been very impressed with what has been posted, we used to argue and debate and have fun doing so - some really good fun "off topics" prompted some great laughs.

In the past Ive been a good source of info being self employed for 38 years - yes, blowing my own trumpet I know! but I manage to make a half decent living at this crafting thing so I reckon I know a thing or two.

Over the last month or so this site has become a "somebody says something and we all will follow and agree" site.

OK Goldy1 is great, Critchley is a true earth person - and I love my wife very much there are a few others I have respect for too but I have no wish to play an active part in this forum if it means becoming a lemming!

A strong and controversial point of view but thats me!

I know I'm not the only member of this opinion. if you need to contact me then I'm sure you'll find me.

big kisses to those that matter - you know who you are, and you're noted with your absence also

Urbtaf has now left the building.

Oh, I think the forum will survive.................and continue to grow - maybe not the way we older members would like it to, but every animal changes with evolution doesn't it? From a personal viewpoint, I would have been a lot more sympathetic if you had acknowledged my PMs, not from me as Peter, but from me as a moderator - that's what stops forums from evolving.
    Last edited by Peter; 30-04-2009, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Okay I am new here, but I haven't seen any sheep-like behaviour. I've seen people being supportive of each other, helping out where they can, giving constructive criticism, and having a laugh.

And while I am new here, I have been online for ten years and I have been a member of one forum or another in that time. By that experience I know that what kills forums are people spitting thier dummies out because things are not going exactly the way they want them to.

Would not it have been far more constructive to start one of these debates, rather than make a grand dramatic exit? Would it not have been an idea to liaise with the moderation team regarding your concerns?

I'm sorry but posts like these annoy me. I don't care what life experience you have or how long you have been a member - you have no right to negate the opinions of others.

I would like to say to anyone reading it - ignore that post and carry on just as you are. Don't start questioning your replies in fear of being accused of merely following the crowd.

This place is lively and friendly and I am proud to be a member. Keep up the good work Peter and co!
      Fae ~ Designed by Fae
      My blogs: Jewellery - General Crafting

Comment

I agree with everything Creativefae says (sorry I can you give you any more rep points - I've got to spread my lurve!)

I too have been on other forum's, but can honestly say that this forum gives support, advice, friendliness, opportunities to meet like minded people.

And yes we do have a giggle sometimes and go off thread - especially on a Friday night!

I have been on other forums where their is an inner sect - one has to jump through hoops to get deeper into it - giving away lots of information before getting any meaningful responses to requests for advice.

Keep up the good work Mods.

Jane
        www.just-soaps.com
        Twitter JUSTSOAPS
        FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
        Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Sorry to hear that you feel that way, Urbtaf.
          Cheers,
          Scorch

Scorch's Pyrography : www.scorchpyro.co.uk
          Crafts on Flickr : http://www.flickr.com/photos/tanniso...7606138937826/

Comment

Originally posted by Scorch View Post
            Sorry to hear that you feel that way, Urbtaf.
            Me too. I actually came to this site from another one, in search of some craft-type support. Yeah, I hardly even post anything contentious, but I get enough arguments in my life without having to type them out too!

I do appreciate that longer-serving members can get to feeling that the place has changed for the worse - I've felt this in other places in the past... it's sad when you feel that, but the world is moving on, right?

You can keep 100% of the people happy 100% of the time.
            "I was inoculated, very early in life, against all forms of magic and elfin whimsy, even when convincingly disguised as literature." Clive James
            Click the scales- rep points are for life, not just for Xmas!
            http://madlyswaps.blogspot.com/

Comment

Sorry you feel like that ...

However i think this forum is great, full of nice people, great advice - its a community, sadly not everyone can be pleased
              * Julie *

If you clicked the scales to add rep points then thankyou very much

SMILE AND THE WHOLE WORLD SMILES WITH YOU!

http://twitter.com/juliemarley
              http://withlovexx.blogspot.com/
              http://www.facebook.com/juliemarley64

Comment

Sorry to hear you feel this way. I like the way this forum makes you feel welcome, (albeit I got a row when I first joined but I cant even remember what it was for now), I like the encouragement and I like the advice. I dont need to feel humiliated and I dont need an argument. There are plenty of forums out there that do that already and I rarely post in them because of it. I like the caring nurturing feeling that this forum gives and I dont want to fall out with anyone. Life is like that already...am I wrong to want this lovely cocoon?
                Something Shiny Something Sparkly
                Handmade Tiaras & Jewellery by Diana @ dizaTIARAS
                My blog
                Facebook

Comment

Im all fore people airing their opinions wether they have been crafting for 50 years or 50 seconds,but if we wanted arguments we'd all watch Question Time.
                  I come here for craft advice and a laugh.
                  I havnt seen any sign of Lemming-ness either.
                  https://folksy.com/shops/GrimmExhibition

http://poisonedapplecraftuk.blogspot.co.uk/

Poisoned Apple Theatre - Handmade Crafts on Facebook

Comment

I think it's very sad when people try to spoil it for others when there is something they're not happy about.
                    I love coming on here and seeing all the wonderful things people make, having a chat, a laugh and getting true honest advise from people who I am proud to call my friends. This forum is the best on the web and long may it prosper!!!!

Sue xx
                    http://parchmentgirl.misi.co.uk
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/parchmentgirl/

Comment

oh dear, sorry you feel that way. I agree to a tiny extent in some threads my stock answer has become "thats lovely" regardless, because offering any advice seems to cause upset, so i just wont anymore. I have a peverse sense of humor and that has also got me in trouble, so I feel I cannot be my trueself.

But having said that, I think that the supportiveness of this forum is great, it has been inspiring and helpful in the short time I have been here, so I try and reign myself in and enjoy it.

Constructive, friendly, informative, advice and opinions should be encouraged IMO, otherwise how do we grow?

www.rocksforfrocks.co.uk
                      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rocks-For-Frocks/230802980887

Comment

Odd post.

If things have been posted that you disagree with then say that in the thread in question. If you feel you have a valid point of view / opinion or something to contribute then lets hear it - I kind of thought thats how forums work?

Threads like these tend to be little more than attention seeking tantrums and certainly don't go very far to positively contributing to any forum.

Originally posted by urbtaf View Post
                        Urbtaf has now left the building.
                        Don't slam the door on your way out - we'll keep your seat warm though, just in case.................
                        Reality is an illusion, albeit a persistant one.
                        - A. Einstein

Hand crafted Driftwood gifts and homewares from North Devon
                        www.whitepebblebay.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Happybunny View Post
                          I think it's very sad when people try to spoil it for others when there is something they're not happy about.
                          I love coming on here and seeing all the wonderful things people make, having a chat, a laugh and getting true honest advise from people who I am proud to call my friends. This forum is the best on the web and long may it prosper!!!!

Sue xx
                          I can only agree with what everyone else has said already and like sue says this is such a friendly forum ...in fact its the only one i am a member of cause of how it operates and most of all you can get lots of good advice re crafts.....with a few laughs in between.

Again long may it prosper!!
                          kazx

Comment

I cant believe you think that of this forum!
                            I have found it an invaluable source of advice, support and wonderful constructive criticism since I joined. It has given me the confidence to go out there are start selling my craft and developing new ideas (many thanks to you all).
                            I too have been a member of other forums for a fair few years now and some of them can get quite nasty, so I have stopped using them. I am not an argumentative person in 'real life' I hate conflict and dont see the point of stirring it up for the fun of a few.
                            Saying that, I am now arguing with you, time to go!

Comment

Originally posted by kazzells View Post
                              I can only agree with what everyone else has said already and like sue says this is such a friendly forum ...in fact its the only one i am a member of cause of how it operates and most of all you can get lots of good advice re crafts.....with a few laughs in between.

Again long may it prosper!!
                              kazx
                              I completely agree with Kaz and I am another crafter who only uses this forum now as I like the support, honesty and informative aspects of the forum, while at the same time people can have a laugh and air their views.

I personally cannot see what a thread like this hopes to achieve

Comment

Working...
                              X