travellers weddings and communion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• travellers weddings and communion

I need some help with a job ive been given, does anyone have any experience of travellers weddings and communions? dont want to offend anyone here so if you do could you please pm me if you dont want to talk about it on the forum
    www.rocksforfrocks.co.uk
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rocks-For-Frocks/230802980887

I have only been involved with one and that was through the church, not through my business.
    It was an extremely lavish afair. The family hired out the whole of a massive country house hotel.
    Every lamp post in the village was decorated with flowers and ribbons.
    They had a huge fairground in the grounds of the hotel.
    The church was heaving under the weight of flowers and every item was paid for with cash....
    full time mum and very very part time crafter.

Comment

Did you mean Catholic first communions?
      I started off with nothing and I've still got most if left.

www.folksy.com/shops/fluffysstuff

Comment

yes but a travellers communion particularly
        www.rocksforfrocks.co.uk

Comment

I have no experience of travellers first communions.

But have photographed many Catholic ones. The children are usually 7 or 8 when they take first communion and the girls dress like little brides, white dress, veil, tiara.
          All I know about travellers weddings are that they are BIG there was one on the news a while back and the bride's dress was so big she couldn't get through the door and they had to squish her sideways to get her in. There were carriages and horses and tons of flowers.
          I started off with nothing and I've still got most if left.

www.folksy.com/shops/fluffysstuff

Comment

From my -admittedly limited - experience of travellers, they sometimes fall into two categories. One comes from very old, traditional stock, great pride in their ancestry and tend to have strong cultural links within their own community. The other are what are sometimes called 'new age' travellers, people who have opted out of the rat race and choose to live a less materialistic, more spiritual type of lifestyle. I won't go into the positive and negative images that are sometimes associated with the two categories!

It can impact, though, on their festivals such as marriage and other celebrations due to their religious beliefs. Many of the new age travellers I've known (and I've probably met more of them than the first kind) then they tend to be more pagan/wiccan, or similar, in their beliefs and a handfasting is a very different ceremony to a christian marriage. The structure and symbolism is different - usually conducted by a priest and priestess and it's often seen as traditional for the bride to wear a red veil and the timing is usually influenced by the lunar calendar. Being a practising pagan myself, I can probably provide more info about a handfasting, as I've been to a few.
            Jane

If beads were still currency, I'd be a millionaire!

http://www.wildheartcrafts.co.uk/

Comment

so i f someones asking for an enormous tiara for a childs communion that they can put away for the wedding, they arnt likely to be winding me up??

thanks for everyones help
              www.rocksforfrocks.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by gbell View Post
                so i f someones asking for an enormous tiara for a childs communion that they can put away for the wedding, they arnt likely to be winding me up??

Given the info above a windup seems unlikely.

I'd ask whether there are any particular motifs/symbols which should be included - or avoided.
                ElaineJ soap and other stuff
                website
                blog

Comment

In my experience no shouldn't think it would be a wind up.

I've been to a few travellers weddings and like beadsbydesign said, they tend to be very lavish affairs, no expense spared as they want theirs to be the best - and paid for in cash

Comment

There are several different kinds of "Travellers". Some are those who have dropped out of our type of society to build their own, There are those who we used to call Tinkers and there are the genuine gypsies. I think we have to know which type you are catering for as they all have different rituals.
                    Carol
                    God helps them that help themselves.

Comment

so if someones asking for an enormous tiara for a childs communion that they can put away for the wedding, they arnt likely to be winding me up??

Definitely not a wind up - the more elaborate the better! And money will be no object - providing you do your business with the women and not the men.

They pride themselves on their traditions and beliefs and go to enormous lengths to ensure that their children get the best that money can buy.

My sister in law is a seamstress and makes all kinds of outfits for a local. long standing, gyspy community - boys suits (think Hovis adverts), girls dresses (think more elaborate than Laura Ashley with twice as much smocking - all hand sewn), communion dresses, wedding dresses and veils . . . you name it, my SIL has made it for them and is always rewarded handsomely for her time and patience - which you will sometimes need a lot of!

I wish you luck with your order - give them what they want and you will no doubt get repeat business from other members of their community.
                      Last edited by auntynet; 17-04-2009, 10:39 PM.
                      Auntynet

Step-daughter's website selling hand dyed sock yarns www.knotanotherknitter.com

~ * ~ * ~ Of all the things I've ever lost, I miss my mind the most! ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

thanks! i did try to suggest something smaller today, dont think it went down well! lol

cant be any worse than some bridezillas ive had
                        www.rocksforfrocks.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                        X