What do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think?

I've been having trouble deciding on a name for my jewellery 'business'. I've been concentrating on bridal jewellery, tiaras, haircombs and fascinators so I need something that sounds elegant and sophisticated. All I can come up with is 'LornaDwynwen Designs'. What do you think? Too boring? Too much of a mouthful?

Any opinions welcomed though please feel free to sugarcoat it a little
    Lorna x

http://twistedspiral.wordpress.com/ - I've finally ventured into the world of blogging!

Having done business course, I know that a 'good' name should tell the public what you do.

LornaDwynwen Bridal Jewellery

Does exactly what it says on the tin huh?
    Fae ~ Designed by Fae
    My blogs: Jewellery - General Crafting

Comment

Dwynwen Designs sounds nice
      Facebook page, Cottage Charms & Cards: http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...20677888001883

Comment

I agree with Nettie.
        Cynthia
        http://iforjonesdesigns.website.orange.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies! I was wondering about whether I should have bridal in there - only problem is that I'm also doing other types of jewellery. Hmm maybe I need 2 'businesses'! I'm needing to make some decisions on this because I have some tiaras and jewellery on display at a local hairdressers and really want to get some branding in there in the form of business cards as soon as possible.

Dwynwen Designs - So simple yet why hadn't I thought of this?! Am still not 100% sold on the idea (does it sound elegant and sophisticated? - I'm so used to hearing it that I don't know anymore!!) but it is nice (Dwynwen was my Nanna's first name and my middle name so it means a lot ).

Hmm maybe I'm more confused now Part of me says yes of course it should have 'bridal' or 'wedding' or 'jewellery' in there somewhere but they sound fairly standard to me and I want something a bit out of the ordinary. Any more ideas anyone?

Lorna x
          Lorna x

http://twistedspiral.wordpress.com/ - I've finally ventured into the world of blogging!

Comment

Sounds great original

Comment

To be honest - I would try and think of something memorable and easy to spell!

Dwynwen whilst a lovely name, I know as soon as I have posted this reply, I will not be able to spell it again.

Jane
              www.just-soaps.com
              Twitter JUSTSOAPS
              FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
              Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

LornaD or LornaDee Jewels. I can understand the spelling or remembering of Dwynwen being difficult but on the other hand it's unusual and therefore different in a unique, stand out sort of way.
                (although I'm Welsh so to me it's not so difficult! )
                Facebook page, Cottage Charms & Cards: http://www.facebook.com/update_secur...20677888001883

Comment

I'd stick with Dwynwen in the name - you have a talking point there if you have a stall somewhere, Santes Dwynwen etc.

I use Briallen - people remember the name even when they can't pronounce or spell it correctly!
                  ElaineJ soap and other stuff
                  website
                  blog

Comment

Originally posted by ElaineJ View Post
                    I'd stick with Dwynwen in the name - you have a talking point there if you have a stall somewhere, Santes Dwynwen etc.

I use Briallen - people remember the name even when they can't pronounce or spell it correctly!
                    What does Dwynwen and Briallen mean? Just out of curiosity.

Jane
                    www.just-soaps.com
                    Twitter JUSTSOAPS
                    FB www.facebook.com/pages/Just-Soaps/258910018463
                    Natural Handmade Olive Oil Soaps and Skincare free from SLS, Parabens, and other Nasties

Comment

Dwynwen is the Welsh patron saint of lovers.

Briallen is Welsh for primrose - Primrose, shortened to Prim, was my nickname at secondary school; I later used it as my CB "handle" in the early 1980s.
                      ElaineJ soap and other stuff
                      website
                      blog

Comment

I sympathise, took months to get my name, after going through every combination of Bell and bride, wedding etc you can think of

its good to have an unusual name, it does make a talking point even if someone says "what"? lol, (which happens a lot to me) but it sticks then
                        www.rocksforfrocks.co.uk
                        http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rocks-For-Frocks/230802980887

Comment

Originally posted by ldw View Post
                          I've been having trouble deciding on a name for my jewellery 'business'. I've been concentrating on bridal jewellery, tiaras, haircombs and fascinators so I need something that sounds elegant and sophisticated. All I can come up with is 'LornaDwynwen Designs'. What do you think? Too boring? Too much of a mouthful?

Any opinions welcomed though please feel free to sugarcoat it a little
                          Go with what you feel and sounds best for you - not easy choosing a name But even if its unusual and hard to remember to spell - this does not matter really if its a web based business Because They can click on your Links anyhow
                          Mark
                          Beads, Charms, Findings & Beaded jewellery - Jersey Craft Shop

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marksallai/

Comment

Sorry to put a dampener on it but I have looked at websites etc and the consensus seems to be that the name should be catchy, only a few syllables. you will need to think about how it will look on advertising etc - i.e. if you have printed bags/boxes. How about

Lorna D
                            Designs

Looks quite classy in a nice font?

As i said, don't mean to offend - it is only my personal opinion, and what do I know!!!

Comment

Thanks so much to everyone for replying and giving me their thoughts. I'm still not sold on using any of my names and I think the reason I'm hesitating so much is because none of them are really right! Sometimes it takes me ages to realise what the problem is even when it's staring me in the face. I'm approaching this from the wrong angle I think - it's too personal and I'm not thinking like a business person. My business head says it should be something like 'Tea and Tiaras' for example...i.e. short and sweet, catchy and gives you a good idea what I'm selling (good points a couple of people have already suggested!).

Thanks again for all your suggestions, am still struggling but at least now I have valid opinions to fall back on when I'm thinking about names....Will let you know if I think of anymore....

Lorna x
                              Lorna x

Comment

Working...
                              X